Kart racing game
Kart racing game, also known as cart racing game, go-kart racing game, or simply kart racer, is a subgenre of racing video games. Kart racing games are known to have simplified driving mechanics while adding obstacles, unusual racetrack designs and various action elements. Kart racers are also known to cast fictional characters known from various platform games or cartoon television series as the drivers of vehicles with unusual designs.
Kart racing games are a more arcade-like experience than other racing games and usually offer over-the-top gameplay in which player characters can shoot projectiles against one another, collect power-ups to gain advantage, or performing special techniques to gain a speed boost.  Typically, in such games, vehicles move more like go-karts, lacking anything along the lines of a gear stick and clutch pedal.
Crashing Race (1976) was the first game to include vehicle combat and Power Drift featured go-kart racing in 1988, but Super Mario Kart (1992) is cited to have started the kart racing genre, being the first kart racing game to implement combat elements within races. The game was also slower than other racing games of the time due to hardware limitations, prompting the developers to use a go-kart theme. Since then, over 50 kart racing games have been released, featuring characters ranging from Nicktoons to South Park.
- Schwab, Brian (2009). AI Game Engine Programming. Cengage Learning. p. 192. ISBN 1584506288. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- Gregory, Jason (2009-06-09). Game Engine Architecture. CRC Press. p. 19. ISBN 1439879184. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- Adedeji, Shola (2012-06-14). "The Kart Racing Genre". Gamelitist. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- Rogers, Scott (2014-04-11). Level Up! The Guide to Great Video Game Design. John Wiley & Sons. p. 502. ISBN 1118877217. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- Masser, Jeff (2012). "A Brief History Of Kart Racing Games". Modojo. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- Kalata, Kurt (2012-08-26). "Power Drift". Hardcoregaming101.
- Ryan, Jeff (2011-08-04). Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America. Penguin. ISBN 1101517638. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- Birch, Nathan (2014-05-29). "The 10 Best Kart Racing Games Of All Time". Uproxx. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
I could just take the easy route and make this an all Mario Kart list, but I like a challenge, so this top 10 also includes pretenders to Mario’s go-karting throne.
- Carmichael, Stephanie (2014-05-29). "Review: Mario Kart 8 Turns the Kart-Racing World Upside Down". The Mary Sue. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
Mario Kart is the king of the kart racer ... it’s held that throne for a long, long time, ...