Ladue Horton Watkins High School
|Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
|1201 South Warson Road
St. Louis, Missouri 63124
|Type||Comprehensive public high school|
|Teaching staff||86.74 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.65|
|School color(s)||Blue and white|
|USNWR ranking||166th (2013)|
|Average SAT scores (2013)||1927|
|Average ACT scores (2013)||26.4|
|Feeder schools||Ladue Middle School|
|Website||Ladue Horton Watkins High School|
Ladue Horton Watkins High School is a public high school in Ladue, Missouri, that is part of the Ladue School District. Its namesake, Horton Watkins, was vice president of the International Shoe Company and died in 1949. The family of Horton Watkins donated the 28-acre (110,000 m2) tract of land on South Warson Road to the school for the high school site as a memorial.
For the 2011–12 school year, the school offered 26 activities approved by the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA): baseball, boys and girls basketball, cheerleading, boys and girls cross country, dance team, field hockey, football, boys golf, girls lacrosse, orchestra, band and vocal music, scholar bowl, boys and girls soccer, girls softball, speech and debate, boys' and girls' swimming and diving, boys' and girls' tennis, boys and girls track and field, girls volleyball, water polo, and wrestling. In addition to its MSHSAA activities, the school offers students an opportunity to participate in a variety of other school-sponsored clubs.
The Ladue Rams have won several state championships:
- Scholar bowl: 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Boys' golf: 1960, 1970
- Boys' swimming and diving: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963
- Girls swimming and diving: 1976
- Boys tennis: 1962, 1985, 1995
- Girls tennis: 1978, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2009
- Boys cross country: 2010
- Boys track and field: 2003, 2010
- Girls track and field: 2005, 2009
- Boys lacrosse: 2010
- Boys Ice hockey: 1994,2012
- Water Polo: 1973
The demographic breakdown of the 1,271 students enrolled for the 2012–2013 school year was:
- American Indian/Alaskan Native - 0.3%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 10.1%
- Black - 17.6%
- Hispanic - 4.5%
- White - 63.6%
- Multiracial - 3.9%
- Male - 48.0%
- Female - 52.0%
In addition, 12.2% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- John H. "Todd" Armstrong '56 - actor, star of Jason and the Argonauts
- Andy Russell '59 - football player
- Paul William Bucha - '61 - Medal of Honor recipient, US Army, Captain, Vietnam
- Elissa L. Newport '65 - scientist
- Frances Ginsberg '73 - opera soprano
- Kevin Spirtas, '80 - actor
- Jim McKelvey '83 - co-founder of Square, Inc.
- Jeff Smith '92 - politician
- Duane Hawthorne '94 - football player
- Dorothea Lasky '96 - poet
- Joel Meyers '72 - sportscaster
- Eric Nenninger '97 - actor
- Courtney Van Buren '98 - football player
- Justin Willman '98 - actor, magician and entertainer
- Becky Sauerbrunn '03 - soccer player, U.S. Women's National Team
- Ben C. Solomon '06 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Jehu Chesson '12 - football player for the Michigan Wolverines
- Willy Holtzman '69 - Peabody Award winner Humanitas Award winning playwright
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Ladue Horton Watkins High". ed.gov. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "America's Best High Schools 2013". Newsweek. May 6, 2013. p. 7. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- High School Profile 2011-12, p. 2
- LANIT Consulting. "::MSHSAA::Ladue Horton Watkins High School". mshsaa.org. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- MSHSAA: Championship Histories by Sport
- "Quizbowl Research Database".
- "St. Louisan Todd Armstrong Starred in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS in 1963". December 19, 2013. Retrieved May 10, 2014.