Leisure Suit Larry
|Leisure Suit Larry|
Cover art for the 1997 collection
|Developers||Sierra Entertainment, High Voltage Software, Team17, Replay Games|
|Publishers||Sierra Entertainment, Codemasters, Replay Games|
|First release||Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
July 5, 1987
|Latest release||Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded
June 27, 2013
Leisure Suit Larry is an adult-themed video game series created by Al Lowe. It was published by Sierra from 1987 to 2009, then by Codemasters from 2009. The games follow Larry Laffer, a balding, double entendre-speaking, leisure suit-wearing man in his 40s. The game play revolves around him attempting, usually unsuccessfully, to seduce attractive women.
- 1 Series
- 1.1 Larry Laffer games
- 1.2 Larry Lovage games
- 1.3 By Replay Games
- 1.4 Unreleased games
- 1.5 Collections
- 2 Other software
- 3 Other products
- 4 Reception
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The series had its origins in Sierra's earlier Softporn Adventure, a 1981 text adventure created by designer Chuck Benton; the story and basic structure from that game were reused for the first "Larry" game. The "Larry" games were one of Sierra's most popular game series during the genre's heyday, when it was first released in the mid-1980s. The series contains the only games produced by Sierra that contain significant sexual themes.
In general, the games follow the escapades of Larry Laffer as he attempts to convince a variety of nubile women to sleep with him. A common link between the games are Larry's explorations of luxurious and cosmopolitan hotels, ships, beaches, resorts, and casinos. The character of Larry Laffer was voiced by Jan Rabson.
After the first game, the series – despite becoming known for its lewd content – gained a reputation for not featuring as much sexual material as expected; this was particularly true of the middle games in the series, which were released at the same time as more explicit games, like Cobra Mission. At most, the raunchier moments were usually hidden as Easter eggs. Things became racier again toward the end of the series, particularly in the (original) final installment, Love for Sail!
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, a spin-off version of the series, featured a different protagonist and style of game play. It was developed by High Voltage Software and released by Sierra in 2004. In 2007, Vivendi Universal Games announced a mobile remake of Love for Sail! In 2008, Sierra Entertainment announced plans to release Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. It was developed by Team 17, and the publishing rights were offered to Codemasters, who published the game in 2009. Larry Lovage, the protagonist of Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust, was voiced by Tim Dadabo.
In June 2011, Replay Games announced on their blog that they had acquired a license for the Leisure Suit Larry series. Replay Games planned to re-release the titles it licensed. It was also announced that the series' creator, Al Lowe, would be involved with the development of the new releases. In April 2012, Replay Games initiated a Kickstarter project that finished funding on May 2, 2012 and secured a total of $674,598, for which the developers promised to add more story, additional dialogue, and one more character.
The "HD" game, titled Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded was originally announced to be released in late 2012, but it was delayed to mid-2013. In April 2013, Lowe said that early development had begun on a remake of Larry 2; Josh Mandel later confirmed the game's early development in a Kickstarter update.
Larry Laffer games
- Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (original: 1987 - remake: 1991 - Kickstarter remake: 2013)
- Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love (in Several Wrong Places) or Leisure Suit Larry 2 (1988)
- Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals (1989)
- Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work (1991)
- Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! (1993, CD version in 1994)
- Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! or Leisure Suit Larry 7 (1996)
Larry Lovage games
Neither of these featured Larry Laffer as a starring character or had any involvement from Al Lowe and the original Sierra staff.
By Replay Games
- Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded (2013)
Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies
Leisure Suit Larry 8: Lust in Space (Leisure Suit Larry Explores Uranus)
Leisure Suit Larry 8, tentatively subtitled Lust in Space (as well as Explores Uranus in some references), was in full development in 1998 until funding was cut. Shortly afterwards, Sierra's adventure games department was disbanded, and Al Lowe left Sierra on February 22, 1999. Like the canned Space Quest sequel, Larry 8 was to feature 3D computer graphics, but no more than a few test renders now survive. The game Leisure Suit Larry: Explores Uranus, as well as its teaser, was referenced in Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! triggered with an Easter egg, as well as a teaser after completing the game. In 2013, Al Lowe pointed out that this title is still being considered, with support from series co-writer Josh Mandel. Lowe stated that even though he would like to complete the Reloaded series first, Leisure Suit Larry 8 is "absolutely" still in the works.
Leisure Suit Larry: Pocket Party
Leisure Suit Larry: Pocket Party was the canceled game in the series that was supposed to be released in the second half of 2005 for the N-Gage. The publishers were Vivendi and Nokia, while the developer was TKO-Software. In the game, players would explore a 3D college campus, while solving puzzles and engaging in risque activities. As they search for the ultimate good time, gamers bump into Rosie Palmer, the head cheerleader at Larry's college. Attempting to win over Rosie's heart, Larry is thoroughly embarrassed by her jock boyfriend Chuck Rockwell, but humiliation has never stopped Larry before and he is determined to do anything to be with Rosie. In addition to single-player game play, players could also wirelessly square off against an opponent in four different turn-based mini-games.
Leisure Suit Larry: Cocoa Butter
In late 2005, Target department stores (through online vendor Amazon.com) began accepting pre-orders for a sequel to Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude titled Leisure Suit Larry: Cocoa Butter. This new game was being developed for the PC, PS2, Xbox, and PSP systems, but has since been canceled.
Several Larry collections have been compiled:
- Larry 3-Pack (1991): This collection included the first three games that were available at the time.
- Leisure Suit Larry's Greatest Hits & Misses (1994): This CD collection included all the Larry games up to Larry 6, including both versions of the original game, the VGA (non-talkie) floppy version of Larry 6, the Laffer Utilities and the original Softporn game. A limited edition print of the Leisure Suit Larry book was also included, titled "My Scrapbook".
- Leisure Suit Larry: Collection Series (1997): This two-CD collection included everything the previous collection contained, plus the VGA and SVGA CD talkie versions of Larry 6, a Larry 7 preview, and Larry's Big Score: Pinball. This was the only collection to include The Official Book of LSL (Perfectbound Edition).
- Leisure Suit Larry: The Ultimate Pleasure Pack (2000): This four-CD collection was, again, otherwise identical to the one before it except that it also included the 1998 Larry's Casino and the full version of Love for Sail!
- Leisure Suit Larry Collection (2006): This barebones collection only contains the first six Larry games originally released on floppies (substituting the Larry 1 VGA remake for the EGA original, and excluding the full-talkie CD edition of Larry 6). According to www.Allowe.com, Vivendi excluded Love for Sail! from the collection in fear that the hidden Easter egg ending would give the collection an Adults Only rating. Unlike previous collections, this one does not come with any printed documentation (instead including PDF files containing the original manuals for copy protection purposes) and the games are loaded through DOSBox.
- Leisure Suit Larry: Greatest Hits and Misses! (2013): Downloadable release on GOG.com by Codemasters. It includes Larry 1-6 (including both EGA and VGA remake of Larry 1, and the VGA and SVGA talkie versions of Larry 6) and Softporn Adventure. The SVGA version of Larry 6 was slipped in during an update. Larry 7 is sold separately.
- Hoyle Book of Games, Volume I (1989). Larry Laffer is a character in the game and interacts and speaks with other players.
- The Laffer Utilities (1992), a parody of the Norton Utilities package.
- Leisure Suit Larry's Datebook (unreleased): Mentioned in a 1992 Sierra Catalogue as "Larry speaks! Custom Larry screens pop on to tell you about meetings, birthdays, work habits, and hard-drive hygiene! Let Larry organize your life. Scary, huh?" It was never released; according to Al Lowe, he did not even know it existed.
- Larry Pops Up! (1996): A non productivity utility program and screensaver released as a promo for Larry 7.
- Leisure Suit Larry's Casino (1998) in which Larry Laffer is running a casino. The game offers five casino games, three party games, a full gift shop, three restaurants, three bars and a few surprises. Also featured is an online component which allowed for players to upgrade their hotel room and participate in other online-only activities. It is part of the Crazy Nick's Software Picks line of games, includes slot machine, blackjack, and poker taken from the In the Land of the Lounge Lizards VGA remake and Larry 5.
- Leisure Suit Larry: Kühle Drinks und heiße Girls (2004): a three-game mini-game pack released in Europe.
- Leisure Suit Larry's Sexy Pinball (2005), a pinball game for mobile phones.
- Leisure Suit Larry Bikini Beach Volley (2006), a beach volley game for mobile phones.
- Leisure Suit Larry Love for Sail (2007), a mobile adventure game with an original story.
- Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude (2008), a mobile game showing some mini games to play with the number pad.
- The Official Book of Leisure Suit Larry (1990) (written by Al Lowe and Ralph Roberts, containing background information and hint guides). The book was revised and edited so that there was a second (1991), a third (1993), and a fourth (1997) edition, and Special Edition (released with Larry Collection).
- The Authorized Uncensored Leisure Suit Larry Bedside Companion (1990) (written by Peter Spear), containing the stories of the first three Leisure Suit Larry games, as well as detailed walkthroughs, point lists and maps). The book, like other Sierra books by Peter Spear such as The King's Quest Companion, was revised and edited so that there was a second edition (1991) covering Larry 5.
The series was ranked as the 85th top game of all time by Next Generation in 1996, for how "the designers have managed to work in enough campy humor and bad puns to keep the game going through five more installments over nine years."
- "Al Lowe Downloads game history". 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- "Leisure Suit Larry does Hollywood with new comedic adventure video game in 2008". Sierra Online Games. 2008-01-17. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- "Replay Games acquires the rights to Leisure Suit Larry". Replay Games. 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- "Make Leisure Suit Larry come again!"
- "Make Leisure Suit Larry come again! – Kickstarter". 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- John, Anthony (2013-04-26). "Digital Trends". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Best Inventions of 2010. "Kickstarter". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Leisure Suit Larry 8
- GameSpy Archived August 8, 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Leisure Suit Larry: Pocket Party". GameZone. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- byainu (2013-01-17). "Leisure Suit Larry for download $9.99". GOG.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Larry Links
- Leisure Suit Larry: Kühle Drinks und heiße Girls at Moby Games
- "Mobile Games – Leisure Suit Larry's Sexy Pinball Review". 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "MSN Mobile – Bikini Beach Volley". 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- "Mobile Games – Leisure Suit Larry Love for Sail Review". 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude inMobile Game Domain". 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Next Generation 21 (September 1996), p.47.
- Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry page
- Leisure Suit Larry Series at DMOZ
- Leisure Suit Larry at TV Tropes