||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Payne at the NRJ Awards of 2014
|Birth name||Liam James Payne|
29 August 1993 |
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
|Labels||Syco, Columbia, Capitol Records|
|Associated acts||One Direction|
Liam James Payne (born 29 August 1993) is an English singer and songwriter. He made his debut as a singer when he auditioned as a solo artist for the British television series The X Factor in 2008 with "Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra. Though cut by Simon Cowell following judge's house, Payne was encouraged to audition again. He reauditioned as a solo artist in 2010, where he was put into a group along with four other contestants, to form the boy band that would later become known as One Direction.
Since joining One Direction, Payne, along with bandmates Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles and former bandmate Zayn Malik, have released five commercially successful albums, performed on four worldwide tours, and won multiple awards, including two BRIT Awards and four MTV Video Music Awards. The group's debut single "What Makes You Beautiful" debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, and has since sold over 5 million copies worldwide, making it among one of the best-selling singles of all time. Payne has also appeared in television and film, including the Nickelodeon series iCarly and the concert film One Direction: This Is Us. The band is currently on an 18-month hiatus and is set to come back in june of 2017.
Payne was born in Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England. He is the son of Karen, a nursery nurse, and Geoff Payne, a fitter. He has two older sisters, Nicola and Ruth. Until the age of four, Payne had regular tests done in hospital as doctors noticed one of his kidneys was scarred and dysfunctional. To help cope with the pain, he had 32 injections in his arm in the morning and evening as a child. As a student, Payne was heavily involved in sports, particularly cross country running. Payne originally joined the Wolverhampton and Bilston Athletics Club to pursue his running career. After failing to make the English National Team for the 2012 Olympic Games, he was placed on the reserve list.
Payne was bullied in secondary school and took up boxing lessons at the age of 12. Payne completed 11 GCSEs at St Peter's Collegiate School before moving on to study music technology at Wolverhampton College's Paget Road campus.
Payne was first introduced to the world of show business at age 12 as a member of the Pink Productions Theatre Company, even appearing as Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever. Payne had previously performed in front of a crowd of 26,000 during a Wolverhampton Wanderers football match.
Payne cites Pharrell Williams and Justin Timberlake as major musical influences. "The person who has inspired me most is Pharrell Williams who I worked with a while back. I got talking to his producer recently and asked him what Pharrell was like when he was younger, and he said to me that when he was my age he couldn’t press a note on a keyboard. And that was amazing to me because at 22 I thought I was too old to learn guitar," revealed Payne.
The X Factor
Payne first auditioned for the fifth series of the British Singing Competition The X Factor in 2008, at just 14 years old. Payne moved past the first round after performing Frank Sinatra's Fly Me To The Moon. He was subsequently cut at the Boot Camp stage, but Simon Cowell, who then changed his mind and asked Payne to return in the Judges' Houses. Payne was cut again during judge's houses, but was encouraged by Cowell to return to audition for the following series.
Payne returned to the seventh series of the British Singing Competition The X Factor in 2010. He auditioned with the Michael Bublé version of Cry Me A River, which earned him four yeses and a standing ovation from Cowell. Payne was considered the second favourite to win the competition following his solo audition. He failed to progress to the Boys category at judges' houses." Four others in his age group did as well, but after a suggestion by Nicole Scherzinger, a guest judge, they were put together to form a five-piece boy band at Wembley Arena, during the bootcamp stage of the competition, thus qualifying for the Groups category. Subsequently, the group got together for two weeks to get to know each other and to practice. For their qualifying song at Judges' houses, and their first song as a group, One Direction performed an acoustic version of "Torn." Simon Cowell later commented that the performance convinced him that the group "were confident, fun, like a gang of friends, and kind of fearless as well." The group quickly gained popularity in the UK, ultimately coming in third place on the show.
Following The X Factor, One Direction were signed to Simon Cowell's Syco Entertainment in 2010. One Direction released their first studio album, Up All Night, in 2011, followed by their second album, Take Me Home, in 2012. Their third album Midnight Memories was released in 2013, followed by their fourth album Four in 2014 and Made in the A.M. in 2015. One Direction became the only group in this 58-year history of the Billboard 200 albums chart to have their first five albums debut at number 1. The single "Drag Me Down", which Payne announced, set a Spotify record with 4.75 millions plays in its first 24 hours.
During the Take Me Home Tour, One Direction covered Wheatus's "Teenage Dirtbag". In the original song lead vocalist Brendan Brown performs a segment in a "female voice" which, in One Direction's rendition of the song Payne covered in falsetto. This garnered praise from Brown, who commented, "You can do my girl part anytime."
Following the departure of former member Zayn Malik, Liam has been tasked with taking over the bulk of Malik's vocals. Bandmate Harry Styles admitted, "Liam [Payne] stepped up to do the high notes. He kicks them in the bollocks every show. He doesn’t hold back."
Payne has begun working as a producer under the monikers "Big Payno" or "Payno," teaming up with fellow producers AfterHrs to remix several tracks including Cheryl Cole's "I Don't Care." Payne's remixes have garnered praise as they delve into the subgenre called future house, which is considered the future of EDM.
Payne has begun working on future projects collaborating with Juicy J on seven tracks with more in the works, DJ Mustard, and Miguel. He has also been in the studio with producer and performing artist Pharrell Williams. Payne has also worked with singer Omi. In September 2015, Little Mix singer Jade Thirlwall confirmed that Payne and the girl group had plans to collaborate on their next album. Payne is also scheduled to work with onetime The Collective member and popular YouTube musician and producer Will Singe. Payne has teamed up with popstar Jennifer Lopez, working on tracks for her forthcoming album.
Payne appeared on the cover of Attitude Magazine after being awarded the Sexiest Man of the Year, marking the first and only solo cover and interview by a member of One Direction and furthering speculation of Payne's solo career.
In 2016, Payne featured on a track titled You by Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J. Payne denied that the track was a single, but it was confirmed to be a leak from an untitled mixtape, yet to be released.
Payne has also promoted up and coming acts such as LunchMoney Lewis, up-and-coming R&B artist Lauv, Bars and Melody and breakout stars 5 Seconds of Summer, who are signed to One Mode Productions Limited, on which Payne serves as director.
|2011||"Taken"||One Direction||Up All Night||Co-writer|
|"Everything About You"|
|2012||"Back for You"||Take Me Home|
|"Last First Kiss"|
|"Still the One"|
|2013||"Story of My Life"||Midnight Memories|
|"Little Black Dress"|
|"Through the Dark"|
|"Little White Lies"|
|"Better Than Words"|
|"Does He Know?"|
|2014||"Steal My Girl"||Four|
|"Ready to Run"|
|"Change Your Ticket"|
|"I Won't Break"||Cheryl||Only Human|
|2015||"Home"||One Direction||Perfect EP|
|"End Of The Day"||Made in the A.M.|
|"Long Way Down"|
|"What A Feeling"|
|"Hey Angel"||String Arrangement|
|"Love You Goodbye"||Produced & All Instruments By|
|"The Night We Met"||Hometown||Hometown||Co-writer|
|2016||"You"||Wiz Khalifa, Juicy J ft. Liam Payne||Untitled Mixtape||Co-writer/Performer|
- One Direction – "You & I" (Big Payno Remix)
- One Direction – "Steal My Girl" (Big Payno & Afterhrs Pool Party Remix)
- Cheryl Cole – "I Don't Care" (Payno vs Aftrhrs Remix)
Payne is an ambassador for the charitable organization Trekstock, whose aim is to "empower young adults to thrive through and beyond cancer." Payne's original campaign with the organization in 2013 raised $784,198. He raised an additional $211,237 during his campaign in 2015.
Payne also began a Twitter campaign in the hopes of helping impoverished people across the globe by personally getting involved with charity work and inspiring his followers to do so as well.
Payne also gave a much needed push to a £6 million youth project "The Youth Zone" in his hometown of Wolverhampton.
Payne began dating X Factor dancer and online personality Danielle Peazer in 2010 during his time on the X Factor. The couple split briefly in September 2012 before rekindling their romance in December 2012. The couple ended their relationship in April 2013. During their hiatus, Payne briefly dated singer Leona Lewis. Payne began dating Cheryl in 2016.
Payne saved best friend Andy Samuels following an accidental fire in August 2013. Payne also came to the defence of a waitress when several members of the Tottenham Hotspurs F.C. acted inappropriately towards her in a club in London. Payne also saved Calvin Harris during an incident at Miley Cyrus's birthday party in 2013.
|2008||The X Factor||Himself||Contestant; Series 5|
|2010||The X Factor||Himself||Contestant; Series 7|
|2011||One Direction: A Year In The Making||Himself|
|2012||iCarly||Himself||Guest role; (Season 6, Episode 2)|
|Saturday Night Live||Himself||Guest role; (Season 37, Episode 18)|
|Big Time Tour||Himself|
|2013||One Direction: This Is Us||Himself|
|Saturday Night Live||Himself||Guest role; (Season 39, Episode 8)|
|Gary Barlow's Big Ben Bash||Himself|
|Robbie Williams One Night Only Gig||Himself|
|2014||Where We Are - The Concert Film||Himself|
|Saturday Night Live||Himself||Guest role; (Season 40, Episode 10)|
|One Direction: The TV Special||Himself|
|Dynamo: Magician Impossible||Himself||Guest Role; Season 4, Episode 1|
|Dancing With The Stars||Himself||Guest Role; Season 19, Episode 13|
|2015||The Late Late Show with James Corden||Himself||Guest Role; Season 1, Episode 30|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Glamour's World's Sexiest Man||Sexiest Man||Nominated|
|2013||Glamour's World's Sexiest Man||Sexiest Man|
|GQ Magazine Awards||Best Dressed Man|
|2015||Attitude Awards||Sexiest Man of the Year||Won|
- "One Direction Star Liam Payne Celebrates 21st Birthday in Chicago". Chicago.cbslocal.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Oliver, Sarah (2014). Zayn Malik and Liam Payne - The Biography. New York: John Blake Publishing. ISBN 1782199497.
- Nash, Victoria. "Liam Payne now sprinting to X Factor success". Express and Star. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "One Direction Is Flawless (& Hysterical) On 'iCarly'". Hollywood Life. PMC. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Listen to 1D's Liam Payne's Remix of Cheryl's new single 'I Don't Care'.". MTV UK. October 14, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Billboarf. July 22, 2016 http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7446504/one-direction-liam-payne-announces-solo-deal-with-capitol-records-uk. Retrieved July 22, 2016. Text "Liam Payne announced solo deal with Capitol Records UK'" ignored (help); Missing or empty
- "Mums of One Direction stars reveal how the boys have grown into music sensations". Trinity Mirror. Daily Record. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Davies, Rebecca (18 September 2011). "One Direction's Liam Payne: 'I effectively died as a baby'". Digital Spy.
- Dare to dream : life as One Direction. New York: HarperCollins Children's. 2011. ISBN 0062213423.
- Tomb, Devin. "Liam Payne Interview". Seventeen Magazine.
- "Liam Payne theatre company holds auditions to find their 'next star'". Nativemonster.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne's journey from Bushbury to Big Apple". Expressandstar.com. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Liam Payne Says One Direction 'Will Work Together Again': See His 'Attitude' Cover". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction's Liam Payne On Bumping Into Justin Timberlake At The BRITs 2013". Capitalfm.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Guiltenane, Chrsitian. "Attitude Magazine" (October 2015). Attitude.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne shows he has the X Factor". Wolverhampton Express And Star. 6 September 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Episode 1". The X Factor (series 5). 16 August 2008. ITV.
- "Episode 3". The X Factor (series 7). 4 September 2010. ITV.
- Kelly, Kristy (26 July 2011). "Nicole Scherzinger: 'I did Simon Cowell a favour with One Direction'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Exclusive Q&A: Simon Cowell on One Direction's Rise to Stardom". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Nicholson, Rebecca. "Also-rans to world's biggest boy band: the rise of One Direction". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Caufield, Keith. "One Direction’s ‘Four’ Makes Historic No. 1 Debut on Billboard 200 Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction's New Single "Drag Me Down" Set A New Spotify Record (In Just One Day)". Forbes.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction Get 'Teenage Dirtbag' Love". Mstarz.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- McCorimck, Neil. "One Direction, Millennium Stadium Cardiff, review: 'business as usual'". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Harry Styles Talks Incredible Fans & Liam Payne Not Holding Back On Zayn Malik's Solos". MTV. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Corner, Lewis. "One Direction's Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson named band's top earners". Digitalspy.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne Now Writing Post-Zayn 1D Songs". Inquisitr.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Villa, Lucas. "One Direction's Liam Payne remixes latest singles by his band and Cheryl". Axs.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Sachs, Elliot. "One Direction Star Makes Surprisingly Good House Music". Youredm.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Villa, Lucas. "One Direction premiere Liam Payne's Big Payno remix of 'You & I'".
- "One Direction Pop Star is Producing Future House Music Now". Edm.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Martin, Rachel. "Louis Walsh reveals Liam Payne wrote Hometown's new track".
- "Juicy J is working with One Direction’s Liam Payne". Fact Mag. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Juicy J made seven songs with Liam Payne: 'We are working on a lot of different things'". Pressparty.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne of One Direction worked with DJ Mustard on new material". Dtgre.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction's Liam Payne records 'dance' track with Miguel". Nme.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Pharrell Williams And 1D's Liam Payne "Looking Forward" To Recording Studio Session". Capitalfm.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "All of the BBC Music Awards winners, and just who did One Direction's Liam Payne chat to backstage?".
- "One Direction Little Mix collaboration, Liam Payne to Write Songs for Girl Groups next album". M-magazine.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Thomson, Heather. "LIiam Payne Contacts Music Producer -Already Working on a Solo Career?". M-magazine.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Minnis, Glenn. "Jennifer Lopez, Liam Payne Working on New Music Together?".
- Riccardi, Alex. "http://www.j-14.com/posts/find-out-which-music-legend-wants-to-collaborate-with-liam-payne-88518/photos/liam-payne-jennifer-lopez-1-130849". External link in
- "Liam Payne may be going solo and country". National.suntimes.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction break will give us chance to see our superstar, say Liam Payne's family". Expressandstar.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Edwards, Natalie. "Jennifer Lopez’s new Direction: Star hires Liam Payne to pen songs for her".
- "Hampton Music Limited".
- "HAMPTON MUSIC LIMITED".
- "Sneak peek: One Direction star Liam Payne is Attitude’s new cover guy". Attitude.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Orcutt, KC. "Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J Brought A Member Of One Direction Into The Hip Hop Game".
- Greenwald, Morgan. "Liam Payne Says 'Leaked' Juicy J & Wiz Khalifa Song Is Just a Demo: 'I Do Not Have a Single'".
- Leight, Elias. "Lunchmoney Lewis on Getting Love From Liam Payne & Meghan Trainor for Hit 'Bills'". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Tomorrow's Hits: Lunchmoney Lewis, Life of Dillon & Tobias Jesso Jr.". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Lauv’s Viral Debut ‘The Other’ Gets Chilled by Papermind". Blog.promotion-us.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Ellen DeGeneres And Liam Payne Back 'Bars And Melody'". Archive.entertainmentwise.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction CASH in on 5SOS! Liam Payne & Louis Tomlinson allegedly get 50% of band’s profits". Unrealitytv.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Mode Productions Limited Managing Directors". Duedil.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "iTunes - Muziek - 'You & I - EP' van One Direction". iTunes. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "iTunes - Music - Steal My Girl - Single by One Direction". iTunes. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne Remixes 'X-Factor' Judge's New Single". PopCrush. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Burcham, Chloe. "One Direction release mysterious 'Perfect' EP with new track 'Home'". Sugarscape.
- "Andy Murray, Liam Payne, Jack Whitehall and Clare Balding film tennis comedy sketch for Unicef". Blogs.unicef.org.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Lee, David. "One Direction singer Liam Payne and sporting legends support CLIC Sargent event at Royal Windsor Racecourse". Windsor Express. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Home". Trekstock. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "1D stars Liam Payne and Harry Styles become cancer charity ambassadors". Itv.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "An Evening Out With Liam and Harry". Prizeo.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "The Charitable Nature of Liam Payne". Trendom.co. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "The Global Goals". The Global Goals. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Global Goals Campaign Video". Billboard.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "'Humanitarian' Liam Payne urges One Direction fans to change the world". The Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Newly-released footage of One Direction star Liam Payne at Wolverhampton Youth Zone event".
- "One Direction Raises Over £2 Million For Red Nose Day 2013". Looktothestars.org. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Office Depot Foundation Launches Anti-Bullying Educational Initiative in Schools Nationwide". News.officedepot.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Sherman, Maria. "One Direction Launch Charity Initiative "Action 1D"". Fuse.tv. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Robertson, James. "Did Twitter trolls force Liam Payne to split from girlfriend Danielle Peazer?".
- Rogers, Christopher. "Liam Payne & Girlfriend Danielle Peazer Break Up — Report".
- FITZMAURICE, Sarah. "'I'm having fun and enjoying myself': Leona Lewis speaks out about Liam Payne and why she doesn't care about their eight year age gap as she horses around in shoot".
- "Cheryl Fernandez-Versini moves in with Liam Payne?". Business Standard.
- Vulpo, Mike. "Liam Payne and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini Are "Madly in Love" and "Very Happy," According to Simon Cowell". http://www.eonline.com/news/753881/liam-payne-and-cheryl-fernandez-versini-are-madly-in-love-and-very-happy-according-to-simon-cowell. External link in
- Shenton, Zoe. "Liam Payne is the perfect gentleman as he gives Cheryl a helping hand on romantic date night".
- "How Liam Payne saved my life: Andy Samuels speaks for the first time after freak fire accident". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Liam Payne "confronts soccer players" as he defends waitress". Wewomen.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Johnson, Zach. "Liam Payne Saves Calvin Harris From Getting Knocked Out by Flying Little Person at Miley Cyrus' Birthday Party". Eonline.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Katie Waissel: One Direction’s Liam Payne has been my rock since my marriage failed". Nowmagazine.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Scott's Strictly Kerfuffle & Liam Payne's "Mate"". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction may have accidentally caused the return of Burger King’s chicken fries". Fortune.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- McCluskey, Megan. "One Direction’s Liam Payne Proves He’s the Biggest Harry Potter Fan".
- "Watch One Direction's Liam Payne Learn Sadie Robertson's 'DWTS' Quack Attack Dance". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "One Direction Join Robert Pattinson on World's Sexiest Man 2012 List". Capitalfm.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "World's Sexiest Man 2013 List". Glamourmagazine.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "GQ Best Dressed Man 2013". Gq-magazine.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Attitude Sexiest Man of the Year Award: Liam Payne".