|Industry||Consulting, Project Management, Contracting|
|Headquarters||Vivekanand Path, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India, |
Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
|Shri Atul Bhatt (Chairman and Managing Director)|
Number of employees
MECON Limited, formerly known as Metallurgical & Engineering Consultants (India) Limited is a Public Sector Undertaking under the Ministry of Steel of the Government of India. It began in 1959 as the Central Engineering and Designing Bureau (CEDB) of the Hindustan Steel Limited (HSL), the first public sector steel company.  Subsequently, CEDB grew as Metallurgical and Engineering Consultant (MECON), a subsidiary of the Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) in 1973. It later became an autonomous company reporting to the Ministry of Steel in 1978. 1 April is observed as Foundation Day in MECON.
Key areas of activities
MECON Limited provides services in Metals & Mining, Power, Energy & Environment, Infrastructure, Oil & Gas, Metallurgy and other specialized areas. MECON is the first engineering consultancy organization in India to be accredited with the ISO 9001 certification.MECON GLIMPSES:
- MECON LIMITED is a public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Steel, Government of India.
- MECON LIMITED established in 1959 under the aegis of Central Engineering & Design Bureau (CEDB), is India’s frontline engineering, consultancy and contracting organization, offering full range of services required for setting up of Project from concept to commissioning including turnkey execution.
- MECON is a multi-disciplinary firm with 1285 experienced & dedicated engineers, scientists and technologists, having a network of offices spread all over the country, experienced in handling consultancy assignments and EPC Projects.
- MECON has played a significant role in the development and expansion of Indian Industries. MECON is an ISO: 9001:2015 company and is registered with international financial institutions like WB, ADB, AFDB, EBRD and has technological tie-ups with world leaders.
- Iron Making
- Steel Making
- Rolling Mills
- Non- Ferrous
- By- products & Chemicals
- Raw Materials & Mining
- Beach Sand Mining & Mineral Beneficiation
- Research & Development
- Power Plant- Thermal & Hydel
- Transmission & Distribution
- Renewable Energy sources
- Energy Management & Audit
- RLA & RMU Studies
Oil & gas
- Oil & Gas Pipelines
- Petrochemicals & Refineries
- CNG stations & City GAS Distribution
- POL Depots
- LPG bulk storage, handling, bottling & transportation
- Group Gathering station.
- Off-shore platforms & marine pipelines
- Retail Outlets
- Civil & Structural Engineering
- Architecture & Town Planning
- Ports & Material Handling
- Roads, Bridges, Highways & Flyovers
- Defence Sector
- Environmental Engineering
- Hydro Engineering
- Information Technology
- Techno- Economics and Management Consultancy Services
- Healthcare Sector
Network of Offices
MECON Limited is headquartered at Ranchi, Jharkhand, India. Its other offices are situated at New Delhi and Bengaluru. Apart from these, regional and site Offices are located all across the country. MECON Limited also has its establishment at Lagos, Nigeria.
Major ongoing projects
MECON has been appointed as consultants for SAIL's ongoing modernization and expansion projects. MECON is also providing engineering consultancy and project management consultancy services (Construction) to National Mineral Development Corporation for its first 3 MTPA iron and steel plant at Nagarnar, Chhattisgarh. Major delays, mainly caused by bureaucratic processes, have shifted the finalization several years ahead. RINL-VIZAG Steel Plant has also entrusted MECON for consultancy and project monitoring services for its Coke Oven Battery No.5 Complex and other associated facilities under its 6.3 MTPA expansion program. It has successfully commissioned the Wire Rod Mill 2 of RINL.