|Public company (BSE: 533098, NSE: NHPC)|
(Chairman & MD)
|Products||Electricity generation, energy trading|
|Revenue||$1.1 billion (2010)|
|$485 million (2010)|
NHPC Limited (erstwhile National Hydroelectric Power Corporation) (BSE: 533098, NSE: NHPC) is an Indian Hydropower generation company that was incorporated in the year 1975 with an authorized capital of Rs. 2000 million and with an objective to plan, promote and organize an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects. Later on NHPC expanded its objects to include other sources of energy like Solar, Geothermal, Tidal, Wind etc.
At present, NHPC is a Mini Ratna Category-I Enterprise of the Govt. of India with an authorised share capital of Rs. 1,50,000 Million . With an investment base of over Rs. 3,87,180 Million Approx., NHPC is among the TOP TEN companies in the country in terms of investment. Baira Suil Power station in Salooni Tehsil of Chamba district was the first project undertaken by NHPC. Shri K.M.Singh is the current CMD of NHPC.
Public Limited Company
NHPC is listed in National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange on September 1, 2009. Government of India and State Governments have 86.36% share as a promoter of the Company while remaining 13.64% is public shareholding. The total number of shareholders are 1,91,337 and share capital is Rs. 12,300,742,773.
At present, NHPC is a schedule 'A' Enterprise of the Govt. of India with an authorized share capital of Rs. 15000 crores, with an investment base of over Rs. 55,200 crores Approx. In 2015-16 NHPC made a profit after tax of Rs 2440 crores . An increase of 15% than the previous year profit of Rs. 2124 crores. NHPC is among the top ten companies in India in terms of investment.
Initially, on incorporation, NHPC took over the execution of Salal Stage-I, Bairal and Loktak Hydro-electric Projects from Central Hydroelectric Projects Control Board. Since then, it has executed 21 projects with an installed capacity of 6627 MW on ownership basis including projects taken up in joint venture. NHPC has also executed 5 projects with an installed capacity of 89.35 MW on turnkey basis. Two of these projects have been commissioned in neighbouring countries i.e. Nepal and Bhutan at a capacity of 14.1 &60 MW.
On-going Projects (As of July 2016)
Presently NHPC is engaged in the construction of 4 projects aggregating to a total capacity of 3290 MW . NHPC has planned to add 1702 MW during 12th Plan period of which 1292 MW has been completed. 5 projects of 4995 MW are awaiting clearances/Govt. approval for their implementation. Detailed Projects reports are being prepared for 3 projects of 1130 MW. Besides, 3 projects of 1230 MW are under development through its JV, Chenab Valley Power Projects Pvt. Ltd. in J&K.
NHPC has forayed into Renewables also and a 50 MW wind Power Project in Jaisalmer Rajasthan is nearing completion.
Since its inception in 1975, NHPC has grown to become one of the largest organizations in the field of hydro power development in the country. With its present capabilities, NHPC can undertake all activities from concept to commissioning of hydroelectric projects.
Hydro Power Stations
Total - 5987 MW
|S.no.||Power Plant||State||Commissioned Capacity (MW)||year of commission|
|1||Baira siul||Himachal Pradesh||180||1981|
|3||Salal-I||Jammu & Kashmir||345||1987|
|6||Salal-II||Jammu & Kashmir||345||1996|
|7||Uri-I||Jammu & Kashmir||480||1997|
|9||Chamera II Hydroelectric Plant||Himachal Pradesh||300||2004|
|10||Indira Sagar*||Madhya Pradesh||1000||2005|
|12||Dul Hasti||Jammu & Kashmir||390||2007|
|15||Sewa-II||Jammu & Kashmir||120||2010|
|17||Chutak||Jammu & Kashmir||44||2012-13|
|18||Teesta Low Dam Project-III||West Bengal||132||2013|
|19||Nimmo Bazgo||Jammu & Kashmir||45||2013|
|20||Uri-II||Jammu & Kashmir||240||2013|
|22||Teesta Low Dam-IV#||West Bengal||160||2016|
* Joint Venture with Madhya Pradesh (M.P.) Government
- NOTE: # Three units of 4x40MW Teesta Low Dam-IV in West Bengal have been commissioned. With this, the installed capacity of NHPC has gone up to 6627 MW which includes 1520 MW through our JV subsidiary NHDC. The fourth unit of 4x40MW was commissioned on August 11, 2016. The unit has started operation on August 19, 2016. 
Hydro Power Stations Under construction
Total - 3290 MW
|S.no.||Power Plant||State||Total Capacity (MW)||Completion Schedule|
|1||Kishenganga||Jammu & Kashmir||330||2016|
Scheduling and Generation Despatch
The Scheduling and Despatch of all the generating stations owned by National Hydro Power Corporation is done by the respective Regional Load Despatch Centres which are the apex body to ensure the integrated operation of the power system grid in the respective region. All these Lasdefdcoad Despatch Centres comes under Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO).
Awards and Recognition
- Winner at Dun & Bradstreet-Everest Infra Awards 2015 in the Power Generation (Renewable Energy) category recognizing its performance under the category.
- ‘Gold Shield’ for the year 2013-14 in the category of 'Early Completion of Hydro Power Projects' for Unit -3 (15 MW) of its Nimoo Bazgo Hydro Electric Project, Jammu & Kashmir, at a function held in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 03.06.2015.
- "CBIP Award for Best Performing Utility in Power Sector" at CBIP Awards on CBIP Day on 1 January 2015 in New Delhi.
- "Most Valuable PSU under Mini Ratna Category" at the India Today Group PSU Awards on 21 August 2014 in New Delhi.
- "Most Eco Friendly Award" and "Most Valuable Company Award" in the Mini Ratna Category at the second India Today Group PSU Awards held on 14 December 2015.
- "Best Performing Utility in Hydro Power Sector" at the CBIP Award held at New Delhi on 29 December 2015.
- "Award for excellence in cost management" held at New Delhi on 28th May 2016.The award which has been instituted by The Institute of Cost Accountants of India recognizes NHPC’s efforts in implementing effective cost management practices.
- "Best Hydropower Enterprise Award" by Hydropower Forum of India under the aegis of Enertia Foundation and Renewable Energy Promotion Association at the 2nd India Hydro Awards 2016 held at New Delhi on 10th June 2016.
- "Best Miniratna" at Dun & Bradstreet PSU Awards 2016.
- Awarded Second Prize by Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India for the year 2015-16 under "Rajbhasha Kirti Puruskar" scheme for commendable work in implementation of Rajbhasha amongst Public Sector Undertakings located in Region ‘A’.
- "Successful commissioning of Unit #4 of TLDP - IV Project" (PDF).
- "NHPC declares certificate of commercial operation for Unit 4 and whole of Teesta Low Dam HE Project". Business Standard. Retrieved 19 August 2016.