|Malawian Embassy, Tokyo||Malaysian Embassy, Harare|
|Ambassador Reuben Ngwenya||Ambassador Vacant|
Chargé d'affaires a.i. Amarjit Sarjit Singh
Malawi–Malaysia relations (Chichewa: Malawi-Ma Malaysia; Malay: Hubungan Malawi–Malaysia; Jawi: هوبوڠن ملاوي–مليسيا) refer to bilateral relations between Malawi and Malaysia. Both are the members of Non-Aligned Movement, and the Commonwealth of Nations.
The two countries are both significant tea producers, and co-operate in tri-national (with India) discussions of market conditions and promotion of the product globally. In 1996, trade between the countries was valued at US$1.02 million. Malaysian exports primarily consist of printed material, alcohol, chemicals, electrical machinery, and clothing. Malawian exports are primarily agricultural produce, including fruit, vegetables, seeds and oils. and telecommunications company Telekom Malaysia. However, Telekom Malaysia sold its stake in its Malawian joint venture in 2006.
In the period 1990-1997, 42 Malawians visited Malaysia under the Malaysian Government's South-South programs to share knowledge and technology with other countries. As of 1996[update] Malaysia does not plan to set up a diplomatic mission in Malawi, considering it too costly. Instead Malaysian diplomatic issues are conducted via representatives in Zimbabwe. Malawian President Bakili Muluzi visited Malaysia in 1996, and Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad visited Malawi for 3 days in return as the first country on a tour of three African countries in 1997. Malawian governmental delegations led by Justin Malewezi to Malaysia in 2003 marvelled at the industrial transformation of Malaysia between the 1960s and 1990s, and sought to learn lessons from the policies which enabled it.
- "Malawi should learn from Asian Tiger Cub Malaysia, economic model". Nyasa Times. 14 February 2012. Archived from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Azmi M. Anshar (2 May 1997). "PM: Ties with Malawi would strengthen further". New Straits Times. p. 39.
- P.S. Sundar (15 November 2010). "Tri-nation tea deliberation calls for aggressive promotion". The Hindu - Business Line.
- "PM to take part in economic forum". New Straits Times. 2 May 1997. p. 2.
- "Dr M to visit three African countries". New Straits Times. 27 April 1997. p. 2.
- "Telekom Malaysia sells Malawi stake for US$24.5mn". The Island. 31 January 2006. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- Azmi M. Anshar (4 May 1997). "Investors will go to Malawi if "conditions right"". New Straits Times. p. 2.
- "Dr M arrives in Malawi to begin African tour". New Straits Times. 2 May 1997. p. 1.