Martingrove Collegiate Institute
|Martingrove Collegiate Institute|
"The Light is Within You"
|50 Winterton Drive
Etobicoke, Toronto, Ontario, M9B 3G7
|School type||High School|
|Founded||May 28, 1966|
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Chris Glover (Ward 2)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,166 (Nov. 30 2015)|
|Area||Martin Grove Road and Eglinton Avenue|
|Colour(s)||Brown, White and Orange|
|Team name||Martingrove Bears|
Martingrove Collegiate Institute (MCI) is a non-semestered public secondary school located on the southeast corner at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Martin Grove Road in Etobicoke, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is overseen by the Toronto District School Board. The school is home to the gifted program in Etobicoke. The school has held reunions for its 25th, 30th, 40th, and 50th anniversaries.
Martingrove's school colours are brown, white and orange and its mascot is a bear. The school's motto is Lumen in vobis est (The Light is Within You). The student-run news magazine The Martingrove Beacon, has, since its creation in 2002, won 15 Toronto Star High School Newspaper awards.
Martingrove is the TDSB designated high school for the Gifted Program in Etobicoke.
AP & Pre-AP Program
Martingrove also offers the Advanced Placement Program and Pre-AP Program to all qualified and interested students. The Pre-AP Program begins in Grade 9 and continues through Grade 11. Students learn the necessary skills, knowledge and foundations for success in preparation for entrance to the Advanced Placement Program in grade 12.
Reach for the Top
MCI has a history of participation in the high school quiz program Reach for the Top. They have won numerous local, regional and provincial tournaments, with appearances at both the provincial and national level finals. For many years the team was coached by teacher Patricia Beecham, who would go on to work as a co-ordinator and head judge for the Reach for the Top / Schoolreach organization Notable Victories:
- 2013 - Ontario Provincial Champions
- 2014 - Canadian National Champions
- 2015 - Ontario Provincial Champions
- 2016 - Ontario Provincial Champions
Martingrove is host to one of the largest Model United Nations in Ontario, running the annual 2-day event since 1986. The event draws on hundreds of students across the Toronto District School Board, as well as notable guest speakers such as Bob Rae (former Ontario Premier), Allan Rock (Former Justice Minister) and Jean Chrétien.
- Tom Cochrane, Musician
- Daniel DeSanto, Actor (Half Baked, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Mean Girls, Breakaway)
- Bruce Driver, Former NHL Hockey Player and Stanley Cup champion (New Jersey Devils)
- Rumbani Munthali, Soccer Player (Toronto Lynx, Richmond Kickers)
- Kiefer Sutherland, Actor (24, The Lost Boys, A Time to Kill)
- Denis McGrath, Screenwriter and producer.
- Ravi Vakil, Professor of Mathematics, Stanford University.
- Heather Maclean, an Olympic Swimmer on the Swim Relay Squad in London, 2012.
- Nathan Cullen, Canadian Federal politician in the New Democratic Party
- Basia Bulat, Musician
- Malcolm Subban, NHL Draftee (Boston Bruins). Plays goalie for the Providence Bruins.
- Mark Ellis, co-creator, Executive Producer of Flashpoint and X-Company
- Deane Cameron, Former President of EMI Music Canada
- Keith Pelley, sports executive, CEO of the PGA European Tour, former presidents of Rogers Media, Toronto Argonauts and TSN.
- Frank Morrone, audio engineer, Canadian Screen Award winner for The Book of Negroes, Emmy award winner.
- "The Etobicoke Guardian, Central, February 25, 2016".
- "AP and Gifted Program". schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca.
- "MCI AP PROGRAM".
- "The Quizbowl Resource Center • View topic - An unofficial history of "Reach for the Top"".
- Board, Toronto District School. "Martingrove CI wins Reach for the Top Provincial Title".
- InsideToronto.com. "Martingrove CI clinches title at Reach for the Top quiz competition".
- "Reach For The Top - Reach For The Top".
- "Archives". 29 August 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150705185946/http://www.tdsb.on.ca/about_us/media_room/Room.asp?show=allNews&view=detailed&self=24317. Archived from the original on July 5, 2015. Retrieved November 22, 2012. Missing or empty
- "CMO Winners sorted by school by rank". Canadian Mathematical Society. Retrieved 18 August 2016.