Meletius IV of Constantinople
|Meletius IV of Constantinople|
|Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople|
Patriarch Meletius IV of Constantinople (1923)
|Church||Church of Constantinople|
|In office||8 December 1921 – 20 September 1923|
|Predecessor||Germanus V of Constantinople|
|Successor||Gregory VII of Constantinople|
|Born||21 September 1871|
|Died||28 July 1935|
He was Metropolitan bishop of the Church of Greece in Athens (1918–20), after which he was elected Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople under the name Meletius IV from 1921 to 1923. He served as Greek Patriarch of Alexandria under the episcopal name Meletius II from 1926 to 1935.
He was the only Eastern Orthodox hierarch in history to serve successively as the senior bishop of three autocephalous churches.
A known supporter of Greek prime minister Eleftherios Venizelos, he served as Bishop in Cyprus, until he was elected Archbishop of Athens following the abdication of Constantine I of Greece, replacing Archbishop Theocletus I, a known royalist. Two years later, King Constantine I was restored to the throne, Archbishop Meletius was ousted, and former Archbishop Theocletus I was reinstated. In 1921 he was elected Ecumenical Patriarch. He resigned in 1923 following the defeat of the Hellenic army in the Greco-Turkish War.
Some years later he was elected Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria. He died in 1935.
- "Meletios II Metaxakis (1926–1935)". Official web site of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- "List of Patriarchs". Official web site of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- Pythagoras (Masonic publication) Issue 35, pp 13 - 14 (in Greek).
- Μελέτιος Β΄ (Μεταξάκης) Αθηναγόρας - Οικουμενικός Πατριάρχης Archived February 4, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- His All Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Meletius IV of Constantinople[dead link]
- List of the members of the Freemason Grand Lodge of Greece including Patriarch Meletius IV of Constantinople
- Patriarch Meletius IV of Constantinople, OrthodoxWiki entry
|Eastern Orthodox Church titles|
|Metropolitan of Athens and All Greece
as Meletius III
Title last held byGermanus V
|Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople
as Meletius IV
|Greek Patriarch of Alexandria
as Meletius II
|This biographical article about a Greek religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Eastern Orthodox bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|