His first feature-length film, The Twilight (Gagooman), was released in 2002 and was awarded with the Crystal Simorgh for the Best First Film at the Fajr Film Festival in Tehran. His second feature, Iron Island (Jazire-ye ahani), was released in 2005. His feature The White Meadows (Keshtzarha-ye sepid) was released in 2009.
Goodbye (Be omid-e didar) premiered at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival in the section Un Certain Regard and won the prize for directing. His film Manuscripts Don't Burn was also screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival where it won the FIPRESCI Prize. A Man of Integrity won the top prize in the Un Certain Regard section at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017. None of his films have been released in Iran.
In 2010 Rasoulof was arrested on set and was accused of filming without a permit. He was sentenced by the government of Iran to six years in prison. This was later reduced to one year. Since then he is out on bail, and is waiting for the sentence to be carried out.
In September 2017 his passport was confiscated upon his return to Iran, meaning he became mamnu' ol-xoruğ (Persian: ممنوع الخروج), i.e. banned from leaving the country. Furthermore, he was ordered to attend a court hearing.
- 1991: Friday
- 1993: The Pin
- 1994: Seven Dreams
- 1995: Ten Seconds More
- 1997: The Glass House
- 1999: Evening Party
- 2002: The Twilight
- 2005: Iron Island
- 2008: Bad-e dabour
- 2009: The White Meadows
- 2011: Be Omid-e Didar
- 2013: Manuscripts Don't Burn
- 2017: A Man of Integrity
- Silverdocs Film Festival Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine. Mohammad Rasoulof Biography (in English)
- "Tribeca Film Festival" 03/03/2010 "Source 1" 12/23/2010
- "Internet Movie Database" 03/17/2010 "Source 2" 12/23/2020
- Veli-Pekka Lehtonen, Elokuva nimeltä Tämä ei ole elokuva, Helsingin Sanomat, May 21, 2011 p. C 5
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize". Hollywood Reporter. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Iranian Students News Agency 12/20/2010 "Source 3" 12/22/2010
- "Iran Confiscated Mohammad Rasoulof's Passport". www.hollywoodreporter. 18 September 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- Mohammad Rasoulof on IMDb
- International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran blog - 21 December 2010: Panahi’s Lawyer Concerned About Severe, Disproportionate Sentence
- Slant Magazine - Articles tagged "Mohammad Rasoulof"
- Silverdocs Film Festival - Biographical information for "Mohammad Rasoulof"
- Kino International - US distributor's presskit for Rasoulof's feature, "Iron Island"