Hong Kong International Film Festival
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Hong Kong, China|
Founded in 1976, the Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF, Chinese: 香港國際電影節) is Asia’s oldest international film festival and a pioneer in introducing Hong Kong, Chinese language and Asian cinema and filmmakers to the world.
Screening over 250 titles from more than 55 countries in over 11 major cultural venues across the territory every year, HKIFF is one of the largest cultural events in Hong Kong. For the past seven years, HKIFF also produced and premiered anthologies of short films by well-known award winning filmmakers from Asia such as Ann HUI, KUROSAWA Kiyoshi, JIA Zhangke, Brillante MENDOZA, NAKATA Hideo, TSAI Ming-liang, Apichatpong WEERASETHAKUL and among others. From 2017, HKIFF will collaborate with Heyi Pictures to produce two feature films a year by young Chinese filmmakers that will hold their world premieres at HKIFF.
The 40th Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF40) was held from 21 March to 4 April 2016. Out of 3,183 film submissions that the festival received, 248 films from 66 countries/regions were picked and showcased in 11 major cultural venues in Hong Kong. 63 of the films were world, international or Asian premieres.
The 41st Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF41) was held from 11 to 25 April 2017.
Previously operated by Urban Council and Leisure and Cultural Services Department, from 1977 to 2001, and Hong Kong Arts Development Council, from 2002 to 2004, HKIFF was officially incorporated as an independent, charitable organisation – Hong Kong International Film Festival Society Limited - after completing its 28th edition. The Hong Kong SAR Government has continued to subsidise the festival through venue provision and funding of up to HK$7 million.
About the organiser
The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society (HKIFFS) is a charitable, non-profit and non-governmental organisation.
- Festival Grand Cinema
- Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- Hong Kong City Hall
- Hong Kong Science Museum
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Hong Kong Arts Centre
- UA Cine MOKO
- UA iSquare
- UA Cityplaza
- The Grand Cinema
- The Metroplex
- Sha Tin Town Hall
- Hong Kong Space Museum
- Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre
New films are featured as gala premieres, with the directors and cast presenting on the red carpet and meet-and-greet sessions in theaters. HKIFF draws over 300 international press every year. Festival-goers can attend screenings, panel discussions, forums, seminars, exhibitions, live music performances, and parties celebrating the festival.
- Young Cinema Competition
- Documentary Competition
- Short Film Competition
- HKIFF01: 37 features, 7 shorts, 46 screenings, 16515 total attendance.
- Opening film - Italy: Year One (Roberto Rossellini).
- HKIFF02: 74 features, 7 shorts, 113 screenings, 55489 total attendance.
- HKIFF03: 79 features, 3 shorts, 128 screenings, 80755 total attendance.
- HKIFF04: 97 features, 17 shorts, 166 screenings, 89745 total attendance.
- HKIFF05: 137 features, 52 shorts, 213 screenings, 95688 total attendance.
- Opening films: Child of the Sun (Taiyo no ko teda no fua) by Kiriro Urayama and The Uprising (Der Aufstand / La insurrección) by Peter Lilienthal
- HKIFF06: 128 features, 46 shorts, 216 screenings, 109028 total attendance.
- Opening films: Circle of Deceit (Die Fälschung) by Volkor Schlondorff, Street Music by Jenny Bowen and Muddy River (Doro no kawa) by Kohei Oguri
- HKIFF07: 137 features, 48 shorts, 220 screenings, 109170 total attendance.
- HKIFF08: 140 features, 14 shorts, 279 screenings, 125373 total attendance.
- HKIFF09: 133 features, 18 shorts, 270 screenings, 121384 screenings.
- HKIFF10: 139 features, 9 shorts, 284 screenings, 119236 total attendance.
- HKIFF11: 136 features, 21 shorts, 320 screenings, 120897 total attendance.
- HKIFF12: 134 features, 20 shorts, 329 screenings, 113364 total attendance.
- HKIFF13: 123 features, 37 shorts, 318 screenings, 95422 total attendance.
- HKIFF14: 147 features, 21 shorts, 329 screenings, 106674 total attendance.
- HKIFF15: 173 features, 28 shorts, 330 screenings, 115884 total attendance.
- HKIFF16: 146 features, 33 shorts, 272 screenings, 109032 total attendance.
- HKIFF17: 150 features, 35 shorts, 270 screenings, 111556 total attendance.
- HKIFF18: 159 features, 38 shorts, 262 screenings, 100100 total attendance.
- HKIFF19: 146 features, 55 shorts, 286 screenings, 172800 total attendance.
- HKIFF20: 150 features, 35 shorts, 292 screenings.
- HKIFF21: 187 films
- Opening films: Kitchen (Wo Ai Chufang) and The River (Heliu)
- HKIFF22: 187 films
- HKIFF23: 200 films
- Opening films: Ordinary Heroes and Where a Good Man Goes
- HKIFF24: 190 films
- Opening films: Spacked Out and The Million Dollar Hotel
- HKIFF25: 161 films
- HKIFF26: 176 films
- Opening films: Hollywood Hong Kong and Heaven
- HKIFF27: 229 films
- HKIFF28: 213 films
- Opening films: Baober in love and Jade Goddess of Mercy
- HKIFF29: 175 films
- Opening films: Peacock and The Hidden Blade
- HKIFF30: 206 films
- HKIFF31: 248 films
- HKIFF32: 242 films
- Opening films: Soul of a Demon and Kabei - Our Mother
- HKIFF33: 224 films
- HKIFF34: 201 films
- Opening films: Like a Dream and Crossing Hennessy
- HKIFF35: 225 films
- Opening films: Quattro Hong Kong 2 and Don't Go Breaking My Heart
- HKIFF36: 209 films
- Opening films: Love in the Buff
- HKIFF37: 306 films
- Opening films: Ip Man - The Final Fight
- HKIFF38: 300 films
- HKIFF39: 264 films
- Opening films: Murmur of the Hearts
- HKIFF40: 248 films
- HKIFF41: 230 films
- Opening films: Love Off the Cuff
- List of film festivals
- List of film festivals in China
- Hong Kong Asian Film Festival
- Hong Kong Lesbian & Gay Film Festival