National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America
|National Executive Board|
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Created||November 28, 1911|
The board is led by the national chair, a volunteer elected by the National Council. Board members include regular elected members, regional presidents, and up to five appointed youth members. The Chief Scout Executive is the board secretary and non-voting member. The National Executive Board has a number of standing committees that correspond to the professional staff organization of the National Council.
Establishment in statute
The statute authorizing the federal charter (36 USC 309) to the BSA provides that "An executive board composed of citizens of the United States is the governing body of the corporation. The number, qualifications, and term of office of members of the board are as provided in the bylaws. A vacancy on the board shall be filled by a majority vote of the remaining members of the board." The Executive Board is also required to hold annual meetings and to submit annual reports to the US Congress.
Bylaws provide that membership will include:
- Up to 64 regular members, elected annually at annual National Council meetings.
- Regional presidents; currently there are four BSA regions: —Western, Central, Southern and Northeast.
- 5 ex officio voting members: The chairman of the Advisory Council, the President of the National Eagle Scout Association, the Chairman of the Order of the Arrow Committee, a designated representative of the Board of the National Boy Scouts of America Foundation, and the Chairman of Learning for Life, the immediate past chair
- Up to 5 youth members, appointed by the National Chair
Current and former members
|2011 National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America|
Jon E. Barfield
George F. Francis III
Douglas B. Mitchell
O. Temple Sloan Jr. (VP)
Per the by-laws, the executive committee is:
- the Chair, currently Jim Turley
- the immediate past chair, currently Randall Stephenson
- the executive vice-president and the vice-presidents.
- the regional presidents, Brian Williams (Central), Wesley J. Smith (Western), Eric Schultz (North-East), Thomas R. Yarboro (Southern)
- the international commissioner, Jim Turley
- the national commissioner, Ellie Morrison
- the treasurer, Joseph P. Landy
- the assistant treasurers, R. Thomas Buffenbarger
- the chairman of the Advisory Council, R. Michael Daniel
- the Chief Scout Executive, Michael B. Surbaugh
The board is required to hold annual meetings. The annual meeting is held at a different location every May. These meetings include the election of the new National Executive Board, and when applicable installation of new National Chair, National Commissioner, and Chief Scout Executive.
- "Committed to Scouting, Open to Diversity. Working to end discrimination against gays, atheists, agnostics, other non-theists, and all other groups in the Boy Scouts of America". Scouting for All. March 8, 2008. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Document not Found". uscode.house.gov. Retrieved December 13, 2017.
- Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America. Scribd.com (2012-08-24). Retrieved on 2014-05-15.
- Hirschfield, Brad (July 20, 2012). "Boy Scouts of America should learn from its own history - For God's Sake". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Burke, Patrick (August 9, 2012). "Romney Says Boy Scouts Should Admit Homosexuals". CNS News. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "President Monson Discusses Strengths of Scouting". churchofjesuschrist.org. February 21, 2012. Retrieved December 16, 2012.