Stonewall Democrats is a name used by a number of political clubs supporting LGBT rights rights and affiliated with the Democratic Party. The word "Stonewall" in group's name refers to the Stonewall riots of 1969, a pivotal event in the history of proadvocating equal rights for LGBT people.
From 1982 to 1987, state and local LGBT Democratic groups in the United States coordinated their activities nationally through the Washington-based National Association of Gay and Lesbian Democratic Clubs. After the association closed, the groups communicated in 1995 through an online national network. The communication resulted in the groups' founding in 1996 of the Washington-based National Stonewall Democratic Federation to affiliate with the Democratic National Committee.
National Stonewall Democrats
The group described itself as "a grassroots force for social change within our movement and within our party." It had more than 90 chapters throughout the United States which focued on a variety of equality issues. The group also operated a political action committee (PAC) which coordinated campaign contributions and support from local chapters to endorse pro-equality Democrats in federal elections.
The group's then executive director, Jerame Davis, announced on January 1, 2013, that it would suspend operations due to a financial deficit of $30,000. State and local chapters were expected to function normally.
University of Michigan Stonewall Democrats
The University of Michigan StonewallDems chapter became the first of its kind at a college or university in 2003. It has advocated for open housing, lifting the ban on gay men who wish to donate blood and statewide anti-bullying campaigns.
- Homosexualités et Socialisme (France)
- Lavender Greens
- LGBT Labour (United Kingdom)
- LGBTory (United Kingdom)
- Log Cabin Republicans
- Outright Libertarians
- Rainbow Labour (New Zealand)
- "Organization information". Department Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. District of Columbia. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "A Log Cabin for Democrats", The Advocate, 1998-06-09: 18, retrieved 2012-01-09
- "Organization information". Department Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. District of Columbia. Retrieved 2010-05-30.[dead link]
- "Faced with $30K shortfall, National Stonewall Democrats goes 'on hiatus'". DallasVoice (Dallas: Voice Publishing Inc.). 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Lavers, Michael (8 January 2013). "Search Results Story image for "National Stonewall Democrats" from Washington Blade National Stonewall Democrats curtails operations". Washington Blade. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "List of Committees". UMichDems.com. College Democrats at the University of Michigan. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Stonewall Democratic Club of New York City
- Atlanta Stonewall Democrats
- Cleveland Stonewall Democrats
- Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club
- Stonewall Club of Greater Sacramento
- Stonewall Democrats of Central Maryland
- Washington State Stonewall Democrats
- Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus
- Hillsborough County GLBTA Democratic Caucus