2016 Democratic National Convention
|2016 Presidential Election
|Date(s)||July 25–July 28, 2016|
|Venue||Wells Fargo Center
Pennsylvania Convention Center
|Vice Presidential nominee||TBD|
2016 U.S. presidential election
The 2016 Democratic National Convention is the gathering at which delegates of the United States Democratic Party will choose the party's nominees for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States in the 2016 national election. It will be held July 25–28, 2016, at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, with some events at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
In 2016, both the Republican and Democratic conventions will be held late July before the Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics, instead of after the Olympics like in 2008 and 2012. One reason why the Republican Party wanted a July convention was to help avoid a drawn-out primary battle similar to what happened in 2012 that left the party fractured heading into the general election. The Democrats then followed suit so they could provide a quicker response to the Republicans.
Choice of Philadelphia for convention site
Philadelphia was selected by the Democratic National Convention on February 12, 2015 as the host city for the party's 2016 Convention. The primary venue, where the nominee will be selected, will be the Wells Fargo Center. The Pennsylvania Convention Center will also be used for some events. The last convention held in Philadelphia was the 2000 Republican National Convention.
The 2016 Philadelphia Host Committee, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, was the official and federally designated presidential convention host committee for the convention, charged with the task of raising the necessary funds to hold the convention. The Host Committee is composed of ten prominent Philadelphia business executives, civic and other community leaders. The Reverend Leah Daughtry is the CEO.
- Democratic Party presidential candidates, 2016
- 2016 Republican National Convention
- Democratic National Convention
- United States presidential nominating convention
- DelReal, Jose A. (January 23, 2013). "DNC chooses convention date". Washington Post. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Jaffe, Alexandra (January 23, 2015). "Democratic National Convention date set". CNN.com. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
The July date is two months earlier than Democrats' 2012 convention, but it sets the Democrats up to immediately follow the GOP's festivities ... Republicans moved their convention back a month in hopes of avoiding the drawn-out primary battle that left the party fractured and their 2012 nominee wounded heading into the general election
- USA Today
- New York Times
- Jones, Ayana (April 4, 2015). "2016 DNC Convention CEO named". The Philadelphia Tribune. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- To Prepare for Republican Convention, Tampa Restricts Protests. The New York Times. July 22, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Democratic National Conventions||Succeeded by