|Developer(s)||SAP SE and community|
|Initial release||11 December 2013|
|Stable release||1.88.0 (March 22, 2021)|
|Predecessor||Dynpro and Web Dynpro|
|License||Apache 2.0 License|
The team that started the project in 2009, that eventually lead to OpenUI5 was tasked with creating a new user interface (UI) for SAP applications. Objectives included a framework that was flexible, extensible, modern, and would provide a consistent look and feel across SAP applications. In addition to this, at the time SAP's main UI framework was tightly coupled to its backend technology, becoming a bottleneck to UI improvements.
All OpenUI5 components are completely free, and there are no paid "premium" or "commercial" widgets:
OpenUI5 is best described as a one-stop-shop toolkit. It has everything you need to build web applications, while leaving enough flexibility to extend. And by the way, it's the only one that gives you full functionality for free. While other popular toolkits come as a free trial with paid versions for full functionality, OpenUI5 comes as a complete product by itself – no upsells, no paid premium.— OpenUI5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 180 UI controls, grouped in cross-device (running on phones, tablets and desktops) — menu, carousel, panel, toolbar, icon tab bar, layout, responsive grid, splitter, list, table, dialog, message box, message toast, responsive popover, calendar, combo box, date range selection, file uploader, rating indicator, segmented button, slider, tags display, color picker, tree, table, tree table, etc.
- WYSIWYG theme designer (not open sourced)
- MVC architecture
- Data binding with OData, JSON or XML models
- I18n, including right-to-left language support
- Consistent UX patterns across all frontend features
- "What is OpenUI5".
- "OpenUI5 LICENSE". 23 December 2018.
- Adams, DJ (2015). 30 Days of UI5: Celebrating SAPUI5 and OpenUI5's milestone 1.30 release in Autumn 2015. Bluefin Solutions Inc.
- Kunz, Andreas (11 December 2013). "What is OpenUI5 / SAPUI5 ?". SAP SE.
- OpenUI5 Frequently Asked Questions
- "OpenUI5 Control Samples".
- "Theme Designer".
- OpenUI5 official website
- OpenUI5 official SDK - including tutorials, API reference, examples
- OpenUI5 on GitHub