|Developer(s)||British Columbia Institute of Technology|
|Initial release||February 28, 2006|
|Stable release||3.0.3 / October 31, 2015|
|Preview release||3.0rc3 / March 11, 2015|
|Type||Web application framework|
CodeIgniter is loosely based on the popular Model-View-Controller development pattern. While controller classes are a necessary part of development under CodeIgniter, models and views are optional.
CodeIgniter is most often noted for its speed when compared to other PHP frameworks. In a critical take on PHP frameworks in general, PHP creator Rasmus Lerdorf spoke at frOSCon in August 2008, noting that he liked CodeIgniter "because it is faster, lighter and the least like a framework."
Source code and license
CodeIgniter's source code is maintained at GitHub, and as of the preview version 3.0rc3, is certified open source software licensed with the MIT License. Versions of CodeIgniter prior to 3.0 are licensed under a proprietary Apache/BSD-style open source license.
The decision to switch licensing to the Open Software License (OSL) sparked some community controversy, especially about the GPL incompatibility of the new license, to which EllisLab has responded with a series of articles entitled Software License Awareness Week.
Version and history
The first public version of CodeIgniter was released by EllisLab on February 28, 2006, and the latest stable version 3.0.3 was released October 31, 2015. On July 9, 2013, EllisLab announced that it was seeking a new owner for CodeIgniter, citing a lack of resources to give the framework the attention they felt it deserved. On October 6, 2014, EllisLab announced that CodeIgniter would continue development under the stewardship of the British Columbia Institute of Technology. 
- "CodeIgniter User Guide: Models". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "7 Best PHP Frameworks". TISindia.com. 2014-02-12.
- "PHP Frameworks Benchmarks". Sellersrank.com. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Benchmark update: Cake vs. CodeIgniter vs. Kohana". Pr0digy.com. 2008-09-03. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Rasmus Lerdorf: PHP Frameworks? Think Again". Sitepoint.com. 2008-08-29. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "bcit-ci/CodeIgniter · GitHub". Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "CodeIgniter License Agreement". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "CodeIgniter changes license to OSL 3.0?". CodeIgniter.com Forum. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- "Software License Awareness Week". EllisLab.com. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- "CodeIgniter User Guide: Change Log". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- EllisLab Seeking New Owner for CodeIgniter
- "Your Favorite PHP Framework, CodeIgniter, Has a New Home". EllisLab Blog. EllisLab. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- thats is the coding in mvc