July 10, 1995 |
Bickford attended Oaks Christian School in Westlake Village, California. He was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays 10th overall in the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft but did not sign with the team. He attended California State University, Fullerton for his freshman year before leaving the university to attend the College of Southern Nevada in order to be eligible for the 2015 draft. He was selected by the San Francisco Giants as the 18th overall pick in that draft. Bickford signed with the Giants for $2,333,800 and was assigned to the AZL Giants, where he spent the whole season, pitching to a 0-1 record and 2.01 ERA in ten games started. He began the 2016 season with the Augusta GreenJackets and was promoted to the San Jose Giants in June.
On August 1, 2016, the Giants traded Bickford and Andrew Susac to the Milwaukee Brewers for Will Smith. Milwaukee assigned him to the Brevard County Manatees where he finished the season. In 23 total games (22 started) between Augusta, San Jose and Brevard County, Bickford posted a 7-7 record and 2.93 ERA as well as striking out 135 batters in 120 combined innings between the three clubs. He pitched only 17 innings in 2017 (with the AZL Giants) due to a 50 game suspension for a drug of abuse and a broken hand.
- Oaks Christian's Phil Bickford draws crowd when he's alone on mound
- Oaks Christian's Phil Bickford could be a top-10 pick in baseball draft
- 2013 MLB Draft results: Phil Bickford selected by Blue Jays with the No. 10 pick
- "Blue Jays fail to sign top pick Phil Bickford". CBC.ca. July 12, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Giants pay steep price, acquire reliever Will Smith from Brewers". San Jose Mercury News. August 1, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Phil Bickford Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Brewers prospect Bickford has hand surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Blue Jays draft high school pitcher Phil Bickford
- Whicker: Titans win powerball when freshman turns down draft windfall
- Blue Jays’ top draft pick keeps excitement in check
- Jays take high school pitcher Phil Bickford with first-round pick
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|