Pine River (Queensland)
|Region||South East Queensland|
|- left||North Pine River|
|- right||South Pine River|
Pine River carries the city border between the Moreton Bay region and City of Brisbane along its middle (continuing up South Pine River). The northern shoreline follows Pine Rivers suburbs of Murrumba Downs and Griffin, while the southern shoreline follows Brisbane suburbs of Bald Hills and Brighton.
Pine River feeds into Bald Hills Creek and the Tinchi Tamba Wetlands Reserve, a large environmental park covering more than 380 hectares.
It is from Pine, North Pine and South Pine rivers from which Pine Rivers Shire is named.
The Pine River and Hays Inlet wetland is significant because of its value to wildlife, especially migratory waders.
The Pine River is classified as being 'extensively modified'.
Mangrove Species: River mangrove (Aegiceras corniculatum), Large-fruited orange mangrove (Bruguiera gymnorhiza), Yellow mangrove (Ceriops tagal), Spotted mangrove (Rhizophora stylosa), Milky mangrove (Exoecaria agallocha), Black mangrove (Lumnitzera racemosa).
Eucalypt and mixed woodland species: Moreton Bay ash (Corymbia tessellaris), Grey ironbark (Eucalyptus paniculata), Swamp she-oak (Casuarina glauca), White bottlebrush (Callistemon salignus), Swamp paperbark (M. quinquenervia), Broad-leaved leopard tree (Flindersia collina), Cotton tree (Hibiscus tiliaceus).
The predominant land uses in the catchment area are native bush, grazing, rural residential and urban.
Recreational fishing: Pine river is a popular waterway for recreational fishing. Total estimated recreational catch for Pine River in 1997 was 1,509,755 fish (2.71% of Qld total) from an estimated 141,092 fishing trips (1.31% of Qld total). Estimated catch by top five species included; Whiting 351,799, Bream 230,598, Winter Whiting 203,028, Diver Whiting 190,131, Snapper (Squire) 127,298. (Data for 1999)
A maximum of 10 commercial boats fished Pine River in 1999, for a total catch of 21.9 tonnes. Pine river is also used for other water based recreation including water skiing and the use of personal water craft.
- "Australian wetlands database (2008)". Australian Government. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "Ozcoasts database (2008)". ozcoasts.org.au. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "Pine Rivers Catchment and Estuary (2008)". emph.org. Archived from the original on 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "SEQWater's Dams (2002)". seqwater.com.au. Archived from the original on 2008-01-09. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- Pine River (Queensland) is at coordinates Coordinates:
- Pine Rivers Shire Waterways
- Pine Rivers catchment and estuary ecosystem health monitoring program