Qamar ul Islam
|Qamar ul Islam|
|Preceded by||New Constituency|
|Preceded by||Mohammed Ali Mehtab Ali|
|Succeeded by||S K Kanta|
|Preceded by||S K Kanta|
|Succeeded by||Kaiser Mahmood Maniyar|
|Preceded by||Kaiser Mahmood Maniyar|
|Succeeded by||Constituency abolished|
|Preceded by||B.G. Jawali1|
|Succeeded by||Basavaraj Patil Sedam|
|Minister for Housing & Labour of Karnataka|
27 January 1948 |
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Qamar ul Islam (born 27 January 1948), generally referred as Qamar Sab, is an Indian politician who was former Member of Parliament. He served as the Cabinet Minister for Housing and Labour of Karnataka and is currently the MLA from Gulbarga-North constituency for the state of Karnataka.
Early life and education
Qamar ul Islam saab was born to Noorul Islam in Gulbarga. He completed his Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering from PDA College of Engineering, Gulbarga. He first stood elections in PDA and became the president of the students union, becoming the 1st and last Muslim student to hold the post of students union president in PDA College.
Qamar ul Islam is a 6 time MLA from the state of Karnataka. He started his political career in 1978 and was elected to Karnataka Legislative Assembly during the terms 1978-83, 1989-1994, 1994-96, 1999-2004, 2008-2013  and 2013-2017. He was Member of Parliament from 1996–1998 and also the cabinet minister for Housing and Labour in the administration led by Chief Minister S.M. Krishna from October 1999 to May 2004 and he also served as cabinet minister for Municipal administration, Public Enterprises, Minority Development and waqf led by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah cabinet from May 2013 to June 2016.
He is professionally an engineer, trader and industrialist, social worker, educationist and an avid sportsperson who enjoys cricket and table tennis during his leisure time. Qamar Ul Islam has also chaired numerous charitable trusts.
- Hazrath Shaik Minhajuddin Ansari Kallerawan Charitable Trust, Running K.C.T. Engineering College, Polytechnic Colleges Gulbarga
- Hyderabad Karnataka Urdu Front.
- Meraj Noor Educational and Charitable trust running B.Ed, B. Pharma, D. Pharma & Nursing Colleges
- Al Qamar Nursing College
- 1978-83 and 1989-96 Member, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 1979-82 and 1992-93 Member, Public Accounts Committee
- 1990-92 Member, Estimates Committee
- 1993-94 Member, Committee on Petitions, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 1994-96 Member, Committee on Housing and Urban Development, Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- 1996 Elected to Lok Sabha (Eleventh) MP
- July 1996 onwards General Secretary, J.D. Parliamentary Party
- "Statistical report on general election, 1978" (PDF). Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "Statistical report on General election,1989" (PDF). Election commission of India. Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "Statistical report on General Election, 1994" (PDF). Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "Statistical report on General election,1999" (PDF). Retrieved 10 December 2010.
- "List of elected members of the karnataka legislative assembly". Archived from the original on 19 June 2010. Retrieved 10 December 2010.