Santa Maria Airport (Rio Grande do Sul)
|Santa Maria Airport
Aeroporto de Santa Maria
The check-in area at Santa Maria Airport
|Operator||Brazilian Air Force|
|Elevation AMSL||88 m / 289 ft|
It is operated by the Brazilian Air Force.
In 1944 the President of Brazil Getúlio Vargas allocated an area of 4 million square meters near Santa Maria with the purpose of building an aerodrome. The works were conducted on an urgent basis, with the collaboration of the United States Army and it was finally opened in April 1945.
Since 1971, with the creation of the Santa Maria Air Force Base, civil and military facilities are shared.
Airlines and destinations
|Azul Brazilian Airlines||Porto Alegre|
The airport is located 11 km (7 mi) east of downtown Santa Maria.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santa Maria Airport (Rio Grande do Sul).|
- Airport information for SBSM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBSM at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for SBSM at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for RIA at Aviation Safety Network
- Santa Maria Airport Photo Archive at airliners.net