School of Advanced Study
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|University of London|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom|
The School of Advanced Study, a postgraduate institution of the University of London, is the UK's national centre for the promotion and facilitation of research in the humanities and social sciences. It was established in 1994 and is located in Senate House, in Bloomsbury, central London, close to the British Museum, British Library and several of the colleges of the University of London. The School brings together nine prestigious research institutes, many of which have long and distinguished histories, to provide a wide range of specialist research services, facilities and resources. It offers taught master's and research degrees in humanities and social science subjects (MA, MRes, LLM, MPhil, and PhD).
The School was established on 1 August 1994. Its nine institutes range in age; the oldest, the Institute of Historical Research, was founded in 1921; the youngest, the Institute of Philosophy, was founded in 2005.
The School is located in Senate House, the administrative centre of the University of London, in Bloomsbury, central London.
Organisation and structure
The Member Institutes of the School are:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Institute of Classical Studies
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Modern Languages Research
- Institute of Historical Research
- Institute of Latin American Studies
- Institute of Philosophy
- Warburg Institute
The Institutes of the School provide a range of specialist research services in their subject areas of expertise. In furtherance of their national and international role, the Institutes of the School undertake high-quality research; maintain and develop library collections and services; develop digital resources; publish journals and book series; host visiting scholars and postdoctoral fellows; organise a range of academic events including workshops, conferences, seminars and lectures; provide specialist research training and postgraduate taught, research, and doctoral programmes.
- School of Advanced Study website
- University of London website
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies website
- Institute of Classical Studies website
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies website
- Institute of English Studies website
- Institute of Modern Languages Research website
- Institute of Historical Research website
- Institute of Philosophy website
- Institute of Latin American Studies website
- Warburg Institute website