|Jurisdiction||Sport in Canada|
Sport Canada is a branch of the Department of Canadian Heritage. Its mission is "to enhance opportunities for all Canadians to participate and excel in sport." Sport Canada develops federal sport policy in Canada, provides funding programs in support of sport, and administers special projects related to sport.
Funding from Sport Canada is provided through the Athlete Assistance Program, which gives direct financial support to selected national team athletes; the Sport Support Program, which funds national sports organizations; and the Hosting Program, which helps sport organizations to host the Canada Games and international sport events. Sport Canada special projects include research projects; projects aimed at increasing participation in sport; the Long-Term Athlete Development Model; and Podium Canada, consisting of the Own the Podium and Road to Excellence programs, aimed at improving Canada's performance at the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
Responsibility for Sport Canada has been given to a Minister of Sport, a junior Cabinet Minister reporting to the Minister of Canadian Heritage. The current Minister of State for Sport is Carla Qualtrough.
Sport Canada funds various governing bodies for sport in Canada including:
- Athletics Canada
- Baseball Canada
- Canadian Blind Sport Association
- Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association
- Cycling Canada Cyclisme
- Canadian Fencing Federation
- Canadian Soccer Association
- Canadian Wheelchair Basketball Association
- Canadian Wheelchair Sports Association
- Canadian Yachting Association
- Equine Canada
- Federation of Canadian Archers
- Judo Canada
- Rowing Canada Aviron
- Rugby Canada
- Shooting Federation of Canada
- Swimming Natation Canada
- Table Tennis Canada
- Tennis Canada
- Volleyball Canada
- Government of Canada. "Sport Canada - Mission". Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- Government of Canada. "Role of Sport Canada". Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Government of Canada. "Sport Canada - Funding Programs Overview". Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- 'Taking Sport Seriously' 3rd edition Thompson Educational Publishing
- Government of Canada. "Sport Canada - Special Initiatives Overview". Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- "The Honourable Bal Gosal: Minister of State (Sport)". Canadian Heritage. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
|This Canadian government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|