|Established||1 Jan 1838|
|Disestablished||1 Jan 1964|
|• Total||144 km2 (56 sq mi)|
|*Area at municipal dissolution.|
|• Density||310/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1660|
|Created as||Formannskapsdistrikt in 1838|
|Succeeded by||Trondheim in 1964|
Strinda is a former municipality in the old Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. The 144-square-kilometre (56 sq mi) municipality existed from 1838 until its dissolution in 1964. The municipality encompassed the eastern part of what is now the municipality of Trondheim south and east of the main city center all the way southeast to the lake Jonsvatnet, and it originally included what is now the municipality of Malvik. The western part of the municipality was heavily urbanized, while the areas further east and south were more suburban. The administrative centre was actually located in the neighboring city of Trondheim, just across the Nidelva river on the Kjøpmansgata road.
The municipality of Strinda was established on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). According to the 1835 census, Strinda had a population of 4,593. In 1891, the eastern parish of Malvik (population: 2,487) was separated from Strinda to form its own municipality, leaving Strinda with a population of 2,769.
Starting in 1864, a series of border adjustments moved territory from Strinda municipality to the neighboring city of Trondheim. On 1 January 1864, an area with 1,229 residents was transferred; then on 1 January 1893, an area with 4,097 residents was transferred; and finally on 1 January 1952, the Lade area with 2,230 inhabitants was transferred to Trondheim.
During the 1960s, there were many municipal mergers across Norway due to the work of the Schei Committee. On 1 January 1964, the neighboring municipalities of Byneset (population: 2,049), Leinstrand (population: 4,193), Strinda (population: 44,600), Tiller (population: 3,595), and the city of Trondheim (population: 56,982) to form the new urban municipality of Trondheim which would have a total population of 111,419.
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- "Strinda formannskap" (in Norwegian). Strinda Historielag. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- Thorsnæs, Geir, ed. (2015-12-22). "Strinda – tidligere kommune". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- Registreringssentral for historiske data. "Hjemmehørende folkemengde Sør-Trøndelag 1801-1960" (in Norwegian). University of Tromsø.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.