View from Malm at sunset
Verran within Nord-Trøndelag
|• Mayor (2007)||Frank Christiansen (Ap)|
|• Total||601.56 km2 (232.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||558.06 km2 (215.47 sq mi)|
|• Water||43.50 km2 (16.80 sq mi)|
|Area rank||182 in Norway|
|• Rank||291 in Norway|
|• Density||4.7/km2 (12/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||-3.8 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1724|
|Official language form||Neutral|
Verran is a municipality in Nord-Trøndelag county, Norway. It is part of the Innherred region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Malm. Other villages in Verran include Follafoss, Sela, Verrabotn, and Verrastranda.
The municipality of Verran was established on 1 January 1901 when the old municipality of Mosvik og Verran was divided into Mosvik and Verran municipalities. The initial population of Verran was 1,456. On 1 January 1964, the municipality of Malm (population: 2,975) to the north was merged with Verran (population: 1,803) to form the present municipality of Verran. After the merger, there were 4,778 residents in Verran. On 1 January 1968, the Framverran area on the south side of the Verrasundet fjord (population: 395) was transferred from Verran to Mosvik.
The municipality is named after the Verrasundet fjord (Old Norse: Veri), which is an arm of the great Trondheimsfjord. The meaning of the old name is probably "the quiet one" or "the fjord with still water".
of the Church
Verran borders the municipalities of Åfjord to the west, Rissa to the southwest, Leksvik to the south, Mosvik and Inderøy to the southeast, Steinkjer to the east, and Namdalseid to the north. Verran encompasses the western coastline of the Beitstadfjord, an arm of the Trondheimsfjord. There are three large lakes in Verran: Ormsetvatnet, Selavatnet, and Holden. The river Follaelva runs through the municipality, emptying into the Trondheimsfjord at Follafoss.
All municipalities in Norway, including Verran, are responsible for primary education (through 10th grade), outpatient health services, senior citizen services, unemployment and other social services, zoning, economic development, and municipal roads. The municipality is governed by a municipal council of elected representatives, which in turn elect a mayor.
|Party Name||Name in Norwegian||Number of
|Total number of members:||19|
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1903). Norske gaardnavne: Nordre Trondhjems amt (dokpro.uio.no) (in Norwegian) (15 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 168.
- "Nord-Trøndelag fylke" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- "Table: 04813: Members of the local councils, by party/electoral list at the Municipal Council election (M)" (in Norwegian). Statistics Norway. 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Verran.|