Frosta within Nord-Trøndelag
|• Mayor (2009)||Frode Revhaug (H)|
|• Total||76.34 km2 (29.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||74.30 km2 (28.69 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.04 km2 (0.79 sq mi)|
|Area rank||399 in Norway|
|• Rank||307 in Norway|
|• Density||34/km2 (90/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||4.3 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1717|
|Official language form||Neutral|
Frosta is the smallest municipality in Nord-Trøndelag county, Norway. The administrative centre is the village of Frosta. The municipality is located in the Trondheimsfjord, on a peninsula just north of Trondheim. It also includes the island of Tautra which is connected to the mainland by a causeway bridge.
The coat of arms was granted in 1987. The arms show a gold sceptre or mace on a green background. The coat-of-arms is inspired by the old seal of the Frostating, where King Magnus VI the law-mender is sitting with a lily sceptre in his hand.
of the Church
|Logtun Church||Logtun||16th century|
Several rock engraving sites can be found in the parish, together with burial mounds from Viking times. Archaeologists have for the first time found the remnants of a Viking harbour (Vikinghavna på Fånestangen) in Norway at Frosta. A number of logs sticking up along the shoreline at Frosta have been dated back to around year 1000.
Norway's oldest court, Frostating, had its seat here at Tinghaugen, close to the mediaeval church at Logtun. On the island of Tautra can be found the remains of Tautra Abbey, a Trappist (Reformed Cistercian) convent, established in 1207.
All municipalities in Norway, including Frosta, are responsible for primary education (through 10th grade), outpatient health services, senior citizen services, unemployment and other social services, zoning, economic development, and municipal roads. The municipality is governed by a municipal council of elected representatives, which in turn elect a mayor.
|Party Name||Name in Norwegian||Number of
|Christian Democratic Party||Kristelig Folkeparti||1|
|Socialist Left Party||Sosialistisk Venstreparti||1|
|Total number of members:||17|
- Anna Ceselie Brustad Moe, politician for the Centre Party
- Lars Myraune, military leader and politician
- Karin Pettersen, team handball player and Olympic medalist
- Vidar Riseth, former football player
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet. Retrieved 2015-12-01.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1903). Norske gaardnavne: Nordre Trondhjems amt (dokpro.uio.no) (in Norwegian) (15 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 62.
- "Nord-Trøndelag fylke" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Table: 04813: Members of the local councils, by party/electoral list at the Municipal Council election (M)" (in Norwegian). Statistics Norway. 2015. Archived from the original on 2016-03-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frosta.|