|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Durga Puja article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|The Arbitration Committee has permitted Wikipedia administrators to impose discretionary sanctions on any editor editing this page or associated pages.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article is written in Indian English (colour, travelled, centre, analysed, defence), and some terms used in it may be different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
- 1 Untitled
- 2 Taherpur temple
- 3 page deletion in India wikia
- 4 The displays
- 5 It is also the most significant socio-cultural event in Bengali society.
- 6 Kalabau
- 7 Talk Page Entry October 01, 2011
- 8 Talk Page Entry October 02, 2011
- 9 Talk Page Entry October 03, 2011
- 10 Merge proposal Akaal bodhan
- 11 Talk Page Entry March 06, 2012
- 12 Intentional exclusion of animal sacrifice (and frequency) amounts to NPOV?
- 13 Selecting images
"the first such Puja was organised by Raja Nabakrishna Deb of the Shobhabazar Rajbari of Calcutta in honour of Lord Clive in the year 1757. The puja was organised because Clive wished to pay thanks for his victory in the Battle of Plassey. "
page deletion in India wikia
The intention is to see whether this page, photo gallery, gets deleted from uncategorised categories page.
--Dore chakravarty 22:25, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
Someone a bit more knowledgeable than me should probably add some more about the standard Durga Puja tableau - it's not described in any detail at the time of writing. Who's she slaying? (Maheshasura, as I understand it, though almost everyone I met in Kolkata seemed to refer to him as just Asura, pronounced 'Oshur)... Who are her four children, and what is their significance in the proceedings? Does the lion have a name? What about the poor bull who's getting beheaded? I could answer most of these questions myself, based on what local Hindus told me, but someone must have a better idea than me...? --Oolong 15:40, 10 November 2007 (UTC)
two cchildren, lakshmi and sarswati are siblings of parvati .dvn (march 2009 —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 15:35, 9 March 2009 (UTC)
It is also the most significant socio-cultural event in Bengali society.
wrong sentence. in Bangladesh, durga-puja is not a big event. this line could be re-written as "it is also the most significant socio-cultural event in Bengali Hindu society." —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 14:10, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- You can make the change with adding reliable reference or citation. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 16:13, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
Talk Page Entry October 01, 2011
- These two pages don't exist in Wikipedia. I have removed these from "See Also" section, as there was simply nothing to see. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 16:19, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- I have created a new section, Durga Puja Mantra and added an audio sample. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 16:48, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- I have added Durga Puja pronunciation sample. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 17:07, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- I have added all the citation and references which were needed and requested in this article. I think, it is the time to remove "needs citation" template from this article. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 19:04, 1 October 2011 (UTC)
- I have added few more references today and removed the template. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 11:44, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
Talk Page Entry October 02, 2011
- There were some formatting error (like directly writing the word "bold" to make a word in bold formatting, and few vandalism. I have corrected those. I have given summary with each edits. Can be seen in history page of the article. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 11:44, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
- I have added "Durgotsava" Bengali pronunciation. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 11:44, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
Talk Page Entry October 03, 2011
- I have added a sample sound of Durga Puja Dhak and trying to collect some images of Durga Puja outside India. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 00:58, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- I had sent emails to two websites where I saw some images to donate images to Wikipedia/Commons. But, no one has responded so far! :-( --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 00:58, 8 October 2011 (UTC)
Merge proposal Akaal bodhan
- Do not agree! But, why do you think so? --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 11:38, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
Yes, please merge [[Akaal bodhan}} with this article as they both are just same!! (SEND ME A MESSAGE) Jagadhatri 08:28, 29 December 2011 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Jagadhatri (talk • contribs)
- Please don't merge the article. The article is not on Durga Puja, we have clearly mentioned it at the begining of the article. This article is on the term and on the theme Akaal Bodhan. --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 02:13, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
Talk Page Entry March 06, 2012
Last Durga Puja, I started working on Durga Puja Mantra section. But, could not add enough information in that section due to lack of time. Oops sorry! I feel we should not add too many verses (slokas) in this article. But the mantra I have added today is a very important Mantra in Durga Puja. Hope to do some clean up/fmt works further. Thanks! --Tito Dutta (Send me a message) 18:02, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
Intentional exclusion of animal sacrifice (and frequency) amounts to NPOV?
Is there a reason there is only one reference to human and one reference to animal sacrifice in this entire article? Given that blood sacrifice NOT occurring is the oddity during this festival, and the negative impact that such practices has wrought I understand why to practitioners it would be of the utmost importance to sanitize the article so people don't think ill of them, but this isn't encyclopedic practice, and leaving things out just because people will think ill of you is absurd. If you feel that bad about it, stop doing it. As for it's inclusion, it must be mentioned. To sanitize and whitewash the article is purely an act of NPOV editing. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 01:32, 2 July 2015 (UTC)
@Utcursch: and others: After Durga article, I intend to attempt cleaning up this article. Too many old tags and unreferenced sections. There is some serious OR herein which needs surgery, and way too many images. I suggest we keep between 6 to 10 best quality and most information rich images, eliminate the rest. Any particular images you would favor? Any additional thoughts and guidance to help improve this article? Ms Sarah Welch (talk) 15:06, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
- I agree that the article needs cleanup, including removal of images. I'd recommend making bold edits -- if someone objects, we can have a discussion on the talk page. utcursch | talk 16:22, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
- @Utcursch: Thank you. I intend to return to regional section later, after other major South Asian festival related wikipedia articles have better introduction. The "Regional variations" and "Other countries" sections require locating reliable sources and a lot of reading, before a clean up. I hope other page watchers such as Lingzhi will join in and improve the regional section, saving me the effort!! Ms Sarah Welch (talk) 19:20, 24 February 2017 (UTC)