Union Carriage & Wagon
Builder's plate on South African Class 6E1 Series 7 E1862
|Headquarters||Nigel, South Africa|
|Parent||Commuter Transport Engineering|
Union Carriage & Wagon was established in 1957. Initial shareholders were Commonwealth Engineering (51%), Budd Company (25%) and Leyland Motors (12%). By 1965, Budd and Metro Cammell Weymann held a combined 41% shareholding which they sold to Anglo American plc and General Mining. In December 1969, Commonwealth Engineering reduced its shareholding to 42% with the other two shareholders each owning 29%.
In 1964, UCW delivered its first electrical locomotives to the South African Railways, the South African Class 5E1, Series 2. The Class 5E1 was also the first electrical locomotive to be produced in quantity in South Africa. In 1976, UCW received its first Asian order for twenty Type E100 electric locomotives for Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA), based on a GEC design. In addition, the TRA E1000 push-pull trainsets were also manufactured jointly by UCW, Tang Eng Iron Works of Taiwan and Hyundai Rotem of South Korea.
In 1989, Commonwealth Engineering sold its shareholding to Malbak Limited. In October 1996, the business was sold to Murray & Roberts. In February 2013, UCW was purchased by Commuter Transport Engineering.
- Dunn, John (2008). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 2 1955-1966. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 188–209. ISBN 1877058424.
- Dunn, John (2010). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 3 1966-1977. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 92–106. ISBN 1877058734.
- Histoty Union Carriage & Wagon
- South African Railways Index and Diagrams Electric and Diesel Locomotives, 610mm and 1065mm Gauges, Ref LXD 14/1/100/20, 28 January 1975, as amended
- 台灣鐵路火車百科：台鐵、高鐵、捷運(第三版)，蘇照旭 著，人人出版2014年2月出版（ISBN 9789865903404
- "assembly process at Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership". Gautrain. 16 October 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Renewed hope for jobs in Nigel as Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership (UCWP) starts assembling Gautrain vehicles". 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Radebe, Jeff (11 September 2009). "Address at the Union Carriage and Wagon Partnership's (UCWP's) 10M4 launch". Department of Transport. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Dunn, John (2013). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering Volume 5 1985-2012. Dural: Rosenberg Publishing. pp. 13–15, 203–219. ISBN 9781922013521.
- UCW Murray & Roberts
- South Africa's CTE acquires Union Carriage & Wagon International Railway Journal 4 February 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Union Carriage & Wagon.|
|This South Africa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This rail-transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|