Ushio and Tora
|Ushio and Tora|
Cover of the first volume of Ushio and Tora, 2004 re-release
(Ushio to Tora)
|Genre||Action, supernatural, Comedy|
|Written by||Kazuhiro Fujita|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||1990 – 1996|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Written by||Kenji Terada|
|Music by||Shirō Sagisu
|Released||September 11, 1992 – August 1, 1993|
|Original video animation|
|Comical Déformer Ushio & Tora|
|Directed by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Written by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Music by||Hiroshi Okamoto
|Released||October 1, 1993|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Satoshi Nishimura|
|Written by||Toshiki Inoue
|Music by||Eishi Segawa|
|Studio||MAPPA, Studio VOLN|
|Network||Tokyo MX, SUN, KBS, TVA, BS Fuji|
|Original run||July 3, 2015 – June 24, 2016|
Ushio & Tora (Japanese: うしおととら Hepburn: Ushio to Tora?) is a supernatural manga by Kazuhiro Fujita. It was adapted into three OVA series: one with six episodes released from September 11, 1992 to February 1, 1993; one with four episodes released from June 11, 1993 to August 1, 1993; and one single episode OVA released on October 1, 1993. The anime was released in the United States by ADV Films. An anime television series adaptation produced by MAPPA and Studio VOLN began airing on July 3, 2015, and finished airing on June 24, 2016. The anime has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks in North America.
Ushio and Tora centers around the travels and battles of Ushio Aotsuki, who is constantly being stalked and aided by a gigantic, supernatural, and sometimes invisible tiger-like monster named Tora.
Ushio's family maintains a temple in Japan, where 500 years ago, his samurai ancestor battled that same monster to a standstill, and eventually trapped him against a rock using a cursed spear called the "Beast Spear", which grants strength, speed, and endurance to the wielder in exchange for his soul. Ushio accidentally unsealed the cave Tora was trapped in.
Initially, Ushio refuses to remove the spear pinning Tora down (as Tora made the strategic blunder of mentioning that the first thing he would do upon being freed would be to devour Ushio), but Tora's unsealed presence attracts various monsters to the temple. Ushio is forced to free Tora, who would like to eat Ushio, but dares not since Ushio keeps the spear close by. The series focuses on their relationship, interspersed with battles against mythological foes, and with Tora's attempts to grapple with modern life. During the regular battles, Ushio slowly begins to notice that as much as Tora claims to be irredeemable, the demon takes to fighting evil and defending the innocent with more enthusasim than he cares to admit.
The story also includes Ushio's relationships with two girls: the tomboyish Asako Nakamura and the feminine Mayuko Inoue.
Episodic in nature, most of the manga is a series of fights with different yōkai or other creatures from Japanese myths. Major arcs in the storyline:
- The Beginnings
- Journey to Asahikawa
- Crisis at Kouhamei Sect Monastery
- The Kansai Yōkai Army
- Artificial Monster Technology
- The Final Battles
- Ushio Aotsuki (蒼月 潮 Aotsuki Ushio)
- Voiced by: Nozomu Sasaki (OVA), Tasuku Hatanaka (Anime), Kazumi Togashi (young, Anime) (Japanese); Randy Sparks (OVA) (English)
- The protagonist of the series, he is the son of a temple priest and a lady shaman, destined to wield the Beast Spear and defeat the super yōkai Hakumen no Mono. He is very kind-hearted and greatly values all life and friendships. With his ideals, he manages to unite the forces of mankind and yōkai against Hakumen through his example of his fighting partnership with Tora. Ushio loves Asako and cares a lot for Mayuko, and will promptly appear to save them from yōkai attacks.
- Tora (とら, literally "Tiger")
- Voiced by: Chikao Ohtsuka (OVA), Rikiya Koyama (Anime) (Japanese); Brett Weaver (OVA) (English)
- An ancient tiger-like yōkai who was released when Ushio pulled off the Beast Spear. Prior to being pinned in the basement of Ushio's temple, he was known as Nagatobimaru, famously feared among the yōkai community for his sheer strength and powers of lightning. Being trapped in the basement for 500 years, he has great curiosity over modern lifestyle and gadgets. His favourite food is hamburgers, which Mayuko always provides when they meet. He states that he has every intention to eat Ushio and Mayuko, thus will not let them be taken away by other yōkai. At the same time, Tora seems to enjoy their company, and he has said that he will not do something as low as attempting to eat Ushio in his sleep, implying he would prefer fair combat. He also explains the reason why he protects Ushio despite saying he'll eat him is that he never feels bored around him. Tora cares deeply about him which he truly tries to deny.
- Asako Nakamura (中村 麻子 Nakamura Asako)
- Voiced by: Yuri Amano (OVA), Mikako Komatsu (Anime) (Japanese); Allison Sumrall (OVA) (English)
- The hot-headed, tomboyish childhood friend of Ushio and Mayuko. She and Ushio love each other the most, and she also cares for Mayuko a lot. Her family owns a ramen restaurant.
- Mayuko Inoue (井上 真由子 Inoue Mayuko)
- Voiced by: Yumi Tōma (OVA), Kiyono Yasuno (Anime) (Japanese); Mandy Clark (OVA) (English)
- Ushio and Asako's best friend. She is more sweet and feminine. She cares for Ushio and has feelings for him but understands he and Mayuko love each other and helps the two be together. She also has feelings for Tora, whom she readily buys hamburgers for. Later, she took in Kirio as her stepbrother. It is also revealed that she belongs to the lineage of powerful lady shamans. Therefore, Mayuko is able to create psychic barriers powerful enough to hold back Hakumen.
- Shigure Aotsuki (蒼月 紫暮 Aotsuki Shigure)
- Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (OVA), Keiji Fujiwara (Anime) (Japanese); John Swasey (OVA) (English)
- Ushio's father, keeper of the temple he and his son live in. He's a stern, businesslike man at times, but also kind and wise. His secret identity is being one of strongest priest of a special Buddhist sect named Kouhamei, dedicated to fighting yōkai.
- Reiko Hanyuu (羽生 礼子 Hanyū Reiko)
- Voiced by: Yui Makino (Anime)
- An orphaned girl who goes to the same school as Ushio, Asako and Mayuko. Her father was very overprotective of her, and when he died he became an oni, causing danger to any boys who took the slightest fancy of her. This distressed her greatly, and she tried to commit suicide many times in vain. Ushio finally made her father realize his errors, and he left for the afterworld. Thereafter, Reiko was able to lead a normal life, and became good friends with Ushio, Asako and Mayuko.
- Hyou (鏢 Hyō)
- Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto (OVA), Daisuke Namikawa (Anime) (Japanese); Ed Paez (OVA) (English)
- A powerful Chinese exorcist, highly skilled in geomancy, usage of seals and flying spears. He travels around China and eventually comes to Japan to seek the yōkai who killed his wife and his daughter, and took out his right eye and left three long scars on his face. In his right eye socket now is a magical blue crystal ball used to save his life by his teacher. Hyō initially thinks Tora is the one who murdered his family, but Ushio convinces him Tora is innocent, and Hyō later calms down a little, becoming a valued ally. He died after finally killing Guren, the murderer of his family, while defending a mother and her child.
- Jie Mei (ジエメイ（決眉） Jie Mei)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Anime)
- The spirit guardian who lives in the darkness of the Beast Spear. She is the sister of Giryō, who sacrificed her life to create the blade of the spear. She reincarnated as Yuki, the first of the lineage of powerful lady shamans, all but one has the same look as her. Jie Mei is able freely materialize anywhere needed, and first appeared to help prevent Ushio from transforming into a Beast by having his soul totally absorbed by the spear.
- Giryō (ギリョウ Giryō)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Anime)
- The brother of Jie Mei, a highly skilled blacksmith who eventually goes insane from being unable to prevent her sacrifice. Filled with anger, remorse and regret, he hammered his body into the shaft of the spear. His spirit is trapped in the darkness of the spear, unlike his sister, and can greatly influence the user of the spear with his fury. Still, he has pledged his loyalty to Ushio.
- Yū Hiyama (檜山 勇 Hiyama Yū)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki (Anime)
- A young girl whose father was killed in an airplane crash caused by Fusuma, a flying demon. Initially she blamed her father's long-time friend Atsuzawa for the incident, but after helping Ushio to defeat Fusuma, she learns the truth and forgives Atsuzawa.
- Saya Takatori (鷹取 小夜 Takatori Saya)
- Voiced by: Yūka Nanri (Anime)
- A young girl descended from a long line of white-haired women who have maintained the success of the Takatori household by appeasing the childlike spirit Omamori. She is shy and easily intimidated, apologizing profusely even when the other is at fault. At first she is reluctant to let Ushio destroy the barrier imprisoning Omamori, as the backlash of energy would destroy her, but she relents when Tora decides to deflect the backlash. In the aftermath, she tells Ushio of her decision to become stronger like him, and slowly becomes more outgoing and healthier. Oddly, her hair starts turning brown as well, perhaps symbolizing the end of her "job". Like her mother Akiyo Takatori (鷹取明代 Takatori Akiyo, Voiced by: Saori Hayami) and those before her, Saya has the ability to open the Gates of Hell once in her lifetime.
- Shinji Tokuno (徳野 信二 Tokuno Shinji)
- A former yakuza who left the business when he was diagnosed with cancer, and unconsciously decided to return to his home village. He was a delinquent as a child and was picked on and looked down by the others in his village, leading to his distaste for others. He sacrifices himself to seal Shimuna, the mist spirit and keep it from destroying his village. In the chapters afterward, Ushio wears Shinji's overcoat in memory of his sacrifice.
- Kenichi Masaki (間崎賢一 Masaki Ken'ichi)
- Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura (Anime)
- Reiko's classmate and childhood friend. They became estranged after the death of Reiko's father, but made up with her after he and Ushio defeat the Oni that once was Reiko's father.
- Kyōji Atsuzawa (厚沢 恭治 Atsuzawa Kyōji)
- Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma (Anime)
- A pilot and friend of Yū Hiyama's father. He saw the Fusuma kill his friend and when Ushio and Tora killed the sky demon, Yū apologized to him for blaming him for her father's death.
- Sumako Aotsuki (蒼月 須磨子 Aotsuki Sumako)
- Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto (Anime)
- Ushio's Mother who was presumed dead, until a Youkai told Ushio that she's alive and hated by all Youkai. She's the third in a line of lady shamans that has kept Hakumen no Mono imprisoned for 800 years in the depths of the ocean to prevent it from destroying Japan. Jie Mei allowed her to leave her post for two years, which allowed her to meet Shigure and had Ushio before being forced to return to the seal.
The Kōhamei Sect
- Mikado Hizaki (日崎 御角 Hizaki Mikado)
- Voiced by: Wakana Yamazaki (OVA), Fumiko Orikasa (Anime) (Japanese); Mandy Clark (OVA) (English)
- A petite old woman who commands the respect of the entire sect, being the Second Oyakume who maintains Hakumen no Mono's barrier prison. She was the shaman who sealed the Gamin in the boxes long time ago. She has sacrificed herself by using all her psychic powers to kill one of the avatars of Hakumen no Mono that attacked the Kōhamei Sect headquarters.
- Nigira (和羅)
- Voiced by: Hidekatsu Shibata (Anime)
- The leader of the Kōhamei sect, and the younger brother of Kyōra, nearly identical to him except for a large scar across the right side of his face. Initially Nigira is against entrusting Ushio with the Beast Spear, but is finally convinced by Oyakume to observe Ushio in order to test his worth.
- Kyōra (凶羅)
- The older brother of Nigira, who was excommunicated from the sect for ignoring the teachings of Buddha in order to pursue his singular desire to exterminate yōkai, but the sect is not above calling on him to do their dirty work for them. He attacks Ushio and Tora in Aomori castle, but is defeated when Ushio becomes one with the Beast Spear. He feels humiliated for being unable to defeat Ushio and Tora and vows to defeat them by all means, including stealing a special weapon from the Kouhamei Temple to so.
- Hinowa Sekimori (関守 日輪 Sekimori Hinowa)
- Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (Anime)
- A tough, caustic, skilled, no-nonsense girl who is extremely against Ushio being one of the four Chosen of the Beast Spear because she believes him to be undisciplined and reckless, far below those who trained all their lives in the Kouhamei sect in order to be selected to use the Beast Spear. When she gets the chance to wield the Spear, it rejects her, returning instead to Ushio. Hinowa is still reluctant to acknowledge Ushio as the true bearer of the Spear, but she ends up helping him from time to time anyway. Hinowa channels her power through a pair of combs, and is able to cast barriers.
- Nagare Akiba (秋葉 流 Akiba Nagare)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Anime)
- One of the four Chosen of the Beast Spear who is very well versed at using the shakuja and other holy weapons to deal with monsters. While initially appearing laid back and composed, he is later revealed to have a dark drive to satisfy the boredom in his life due to a lack of any challenges until Tora came along. This leads him to side with Hakumen no Mono and sabotage Ushio's plans.
- Satoru Moritsuna (杜綱 悟 Moritsuna Satoru)
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka (Anime)
- A master shikigami user and the most senior of the four Chosen of the Beast Spear. He was possessed by Hiyou to attack Ushio and destroy the Beast Spear. He is very protective of his younger sister Jun.
- Jun Moritsuna (杜綱 純 Moritsuna Jun)
- Voiced by: Ayahi Takagaki (Anime)
- Satoru's younger sister. While she failed to become a Chosen of the Beast Spear, she's capable of pouring a large quantity of spiritual energy in special occasions.
- Kirio (キリオ)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han (Anime)
- The youngest but also the strongest of the four Chosen of the Beast Spear. He wields the Elzaar Scythe and is accompanied by a monster partner call Kuin. It turns out that he is the created by Kyōra and Towako from a human child to wield the Elzaar Scythe. Later he is taken in and lives with the Inoue family.
H.A.M.M.R. (Head Anti Metamorphose Measure Research)
- Nicholas Koestler (ニコラス・ケストラー Nikorasu Kesutorā)
- Voiced by: Ikuya Sawaki (Anime)
- Marco Pavroti (マルコ・パブロティ Maruko Paburoti)
- Voiced by: Kinryū Arimoto (Anime)
- Helena Markov (ヘレナ・マーコフ Herena Mākofu)
- Voiced by: Yuko Tsuga (Anime)
- Helena was the lead scientist of HAMMER, well respected by her colleagues. When they kidnap Ushio, Asako, and Tora, in order to study the full capabilities of Ushio, Tora, and the Beast Spear, a piece of Hakumen no Mono comes alive and devours many Yokai HAMMER has in captivity for study. Helena is gravely wounded during the battle but she stays to monitor it in order to gather as much data as possible for her colleagues. Asako assists her until Helena convinces her to leave before the facility self-destructs. Asako also learns from Helena that she had a son named Paul who died despite scientific advancements, and in her final moments, Helena thinks of her son and dies with a smile on her face (having succeeded in compiling and sending sufficient data to her colleagues).
- Stone Eater (石喰い Ishikui)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto (Anime)
- A 200-year-old centipede demon that turns its victims into stone before devouring them; it does this slowly in order to relish the fear of its victims. Inhabited a stone statue of a samurai until it was defeated by Ushio. Its broken pieces were later collected and made into a supernatural armour for Ushio.
- Oni (鬼)
- Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Anime)
- Formerly the master artist Michio Hanyuu. When his wife ran off with one of his students he became filled with hate and became an oni after he died. His soul inhabited a painting he had made of his daughter Reiko and was fiercely jealous of anyone who tried to get close to her, resulting in 'accidents' happening to all those who did. He finally passed on after Ushio defeated him by stabbing the painting he inhabited with the Beast Spear.
- Gamin (餓眠)
- Voiced by: Fumihiko Tachiki (father), Hiroshi Naka (grandfather), Shōko Tsuda (mother), Yū Shimamura (sister), Takahiro Fujiwara (brother) (Anime)
- A group of five demonic heads that were sealed in boxes that were pinned beneath a massive stone by the priestess Mikado Hizaki. After they were unwittingly released by a construction team they slaughtered the workers and searched the city for Hizaki in order to exact their revenge even though Hizaki was long dead. They pursued Mayuko because her appearance was identical to Hizaki's, but they were confronted and defeated by Tora (because he wanted to eat Mayuko himself at the time).
- Fusuma (衾)
- Voiced by: Wataru Takagi (Anime)
- A sky-going demon that eats humans, he caused an air carrier to crash and devoured all 200 occupants including Yū's father. He attacked the plane that Ushio, Tora, Yū and Atsuzawa were on and killed the pilots in order to control the plane. However he was wounded in the neck by the Beast Spear and was completely destroyed by an exploding missile from an air support fighter plane (according to Tora his weaknesses are the tooth of an ohaguro and large amounts of fire). Before dying he remarks that it was not a bad thing to die before Hakumen no Mono's awakening.
- Shumuna (シュムナ)
- An invincible demon composed of only corrosive mist that dissolves and digests humans, yōkai and any organic matter.
- Guren (紅煉)
- Voiced by: Norio Wakamoto (Anime)
- A black Azafuse with a sadistic heart who has pledged to assist Hakumen no Mono in exchange for being released from his stone hibernation and given three obake-killing blades. Once a human mercenary who loved killing more than anything, one day he found the Beast Spear and used it to slay Youkai until he turned into an Azafuse, murdering and devouring families whenever he pleased. Hyou's family was murdered by him and after a very long fight, he was slain by Hyou, avenging his family at the cost of his own life.
- Umizatō (海座頭)
- Voiced by: Minoru Inaba (Anime)
- An old acquaintance of Tora back when he was called Nagatobimaru. A guardian of the ocean he takes the form of an elderly man with a walking stick and a sake jug. He enlists the help of Ushio and Tora in order to subdue a giant sea serpent. Later he inadvertently reveals to Ushio that his mother (whom he thought dead) is still alive and hated by all yōkai.
- The Kamaitachi Siblings
- Raishin (雷信 Kaminarishin) Voiced by: Shō Hayami (OVA), Shin-ichiro Miki (Anime) (Japanese); Andy McAvin (OVA) (English)
- Juurou (十郎 Jūrō) Voiced by: Kazuki Yao (OVA), Yūki Kaji (Anime) (Japanese); Illich Guardiola (OVA) (English)
- Kagari (かがり Kagari) Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru (OVA), Risa Shimizu (Anime) (Japanese); Monica Rial (OVA) (English)
- A trio of kamaitachi living in the area around Tono that consists of the eldest brother Raishin, the middle brother Juurou and the younger sister Kagari. They were driven from their old home when it was turned into a golf course and Juurou, originally a gentle demon became filled with hatred for humans and began wantonly killing any he found. When they heard that Ushio was in the area, Raishin and Kagari approached Ushio to ask for his help. During the battle Ushio after realizing where Juurou was coming from began to cry for the sufferings of yōkai which moved Juurou, who along with Tora and the workers of a construction site managed to free Raishin and Kagari when they were pinned under a construction vehicle. Afterwards Ushio promised to find a place for the siblings to live, but Juurou, believing that such a place did not exist, attacked Ushio causing him to kill Juurou on reflex and he died, finally at peace. Afterwards Raishin and Kagari became staunch allies of Ushio and Tora, defending them against the wrathful demons of Tono.
- Omamori (オマモリ様 Omamori-sama)
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano (Anime)
- A zashiki warashi spirit imprisoned by the Takatori family in order to ensure the family's prosperity. During her imprisonment Omamori has been comforted by a long line of white-haired women including Saya's mother. She foretold the coming of a boy with a spear who would free her from her imprisonment, this was fulfilled when Ushio came to the Takatori house and destroyed the barrier imprisoning her. Even after the destruction of the Takatori household she remains behind to watch over Saya. She sides with Ushio during the attack of the Tono and spoke to Osa on his behalf.
- Ungaikyō no Onji (雲外鏡のおんじ)
- Voiced by: Shōzō Iizuka (Anime)
- An old Mirror yōkai that's acquainted with the Kamaitachi. He's asked by Ushio to help him save Asako and Mayuko from a Fiendish Mirror, which he reluctantly agreed.
- Kappa (河童)
- Voiced by: Yūji Ueda (Anime)
- A friendly Kappa that heals Ushio when he was injured by the Tono yōkai. He also tells him the song about Hakumen no Mono and why all yōkai fear and hate it.
- Hitotsuki (一鬼)
- Voiced by: Hisao Egawa (Anime)
- A youkai who once fought alongside Tora, and various other youkai, to take out Hakumen. He at first refuses to stop targeting Ushio, but after being defeated by Tora, he's forced to comply.
- Yamanmoto (山ン本)
- Voiced by: Toshio Furukawa (Anime)
- The wise chief of the Tono yōkai whose true self is that of a powerful Tengu. He is revealed to be also the chief of the Kanto yōkai.
- Izuna (イズナ)
- Voiced by: Nao Nagasawa (Anime)
- A small fox-like spirit sent by the Osa of Tono to assist Ushio in his effort to purge the demons possessing Moritsuna.
- Tokisaka (時逆) and Tokijun (時順)
- Voiced by: Mayumi Tanaka (Anime)
- The time travelling yōkai who send Ushio and Tora back to the past to observe the birth of the Beast Spear.
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Anime)
- An artificial youkai created by Inasa to aid Kirio against Hakumen no Mono. He has a rivalry with Tora.
- Shinno (神野)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Anime)
- The chief of the Kansai yōkai, who believed that his army could defeat the imprisoned Hakumen no Mono. He wields a huge claymore like a katana called Rubashiri.
Hakumen no Mono
Voiced by: Megumi Hayashibara (Anime)
Hakumen no Mono (白面の者) is an extremely powerful, golden nine-tailed fox born from ancient times who enjoys destroying countries by manipulating the rulers and creating fear among humans and yōkai. Currently, it is trapped in an immense psychic barrier maintained by a lineage of lady shamans under the sea south of Japan. However, this does not keep it completely helpless and plots to destroy the Beast Spear before it finally escapes from its imprisonment.
Each of the nine tails has specific abilities and can spawn various minion yōkai and avatars, that can phase through the barrier to do its bidding. The avatars of Hakumen no Mono are some of the strongest monsters ever faced by the protagonists.
- Hiyō (婢妖)
- Small yōkai minions spawned from Hakumen that looks like a flying eyeball with ears. They can combine together to form a stronger entity or attack en masse in huge numbers. They are also capable of eating specific memories in humans and bakemono alike.
- Kuragi (くらぎ)
- Voiced by: Yūko Kaida (Anime)
- A giant cricket-like monster that easily broke through the protective barrier of the Kouhamei Sect Main Headquarters. Possesses razor sharp claws and body that can reflect standard attacks.
- Towako (斗和子)
- An avatar in the form of an enigmatic lady who suddenly appeared to assist the renegade Kouhamei monk, Inasa, in his research to create the Elzaar Scythe. After Inasa died, Towako acted as Kirio's mom and through the boy, manipulated a group of Kouohamei Sect monks to abduct the Beast Spear. She did managed to partially destroy the Beast Spear but it was revived by Ushio's pledge.
- Black Horde (黒炎 Kokuen)
- Powerful clones created using Guren as the base. Therefore, resembling black Azafuses.
A television anime adaptation was produced by MAPPA and Studio VOLN. It was directed by Satoshi Nishimura and written by Toshiki Inoue and Kazuhiro Fujita, featuring character designs by Tomoko Mori and music by Eishi Segawa. The anime was split into two parts: the first part (episodes 1-26) aired between July 3, 2015 and December 25, 2015, and the second part (episodes 27-39) aired between April 1, 2016 and June 24, 2016.
List of episodes
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"The Fateful Meeting of Ushio and Tora"
"Ushio Tora to Deau no En" (うしおとらとであうの縁)
|July 3, 2015|
|While cleaning out some books from the store room, Ushio stumbles upon a door. Upon opening it, he finds a beast inside, which is stuck because of a spear holding it in place. The beast asks him to remove the spear, since only a human can do it. But since he says that he'll eat Ushio and wreck havoc among humans, Ushio doesn't help him. The beast's aura leaks, attracting many other yokais and Ushio is forced to free him to exterminate all the other yokais.|
|2||"The Stone Eater"
|July 10, 2015|
|While cleaning in the school, Asako and some other girls get trapped by a Stone Eater yokai.|
|3||"The Demon That Dwells In the Painting"
"E ni Sumu Oni" (絵に棲む鬼)
|July 17, 2015|
|A girl named Reiko is carrying a death wish, since her father, who has turned into an oni is haunting her and hurting anyone who gets close to her.|
|4||"Tora Goes to the City"
"Tora Machi e Yuku" (とら街へゆく)
|July 24, 2015|
|The Gamin (a family of 5 demon heads) are released and they go eating any girl around the city who bears a resemblance to Mikado Hizaki, who had sealed them a long time ago. Mayuko Inoue bears an uncanny resemblance to her and is out alone, shopping.|
"Fujushi Hyō" (符咒師 鏢)
|July 31, 2015|
|An exorcist named Hyou is searching for the yokai, who killed his wife and 5 year old kid and took out his right eye and left three long scars on his face, to exact revenge. He thinks Tora might be the yokai and arrives to Japan.|
"Ayakashi no Umi" (あやかしの海)
|August 7, 2015|
|While at the beach, Tora is requested by Umizatou to get rid of a yokai whom he is unable to subdue. The yokai is made of souls of those who died at sea and it is eating both humans and yokai. Tora gets caught when the yokai tried to eat him. Asoko and a little kid get trapped too. Its up to Ushio to save them.|
|August 14, 2015|
|Ushio demands his mother's whereabouts from his father, who promptly escapes. After Shigure reports about Ushio, the Beast Spear and Tora to higher ups, he is asked to monitor both Ushio and Tora to see their worth. When they are attacked, Shigure deems Ushio and Tora to be worthy and gives money to Ushio to go meet his uncle, and learn more about his mother from the journey.|
|8||"He's in the Sky"
"Yatsu wa Sora ni Iru" (ヤツは空にいる)
|August 21, 2015|
|While traveling to Hokkaido by air, Ushio and Tora meet the demon Fusuma who tries to crash the plane to savor all its occupants.|
"Kaze Kurui" (風狂い)
|August 28, 2015|
|Ushio is requested by the Kamaitachi siblings to kill their third sibling as he is causing trouble to humans, after they are forced to move out of their home in the mountains.|
|10||"The House Where the Kappa Lives"
"Kappa no Iru Ie" (童のいる家)
|September 4, 2015|
|Ushio sees a girl at an onsen. Later he saves her from an accident. She is Saya Takatori, the white haired girl, who is guarding the Zahiki Warashi of the Takatori house, Omamori, from leaving so that the house remains prosperous.|
|11||"Mirror of a Single Strike"
"Ichigeki no Kagami" (一撃の鏡)
|September 11, 2015|
|Ushio is staying at the Kamaitachis' house when he sees Asako calling out Mayuko with a face full of fright. After asking a mirror elder, he comes to know that a mirror demon has kidnapped Mayuko inside the mirror.|
|12||"The Road to the Touno Youkai Battle (Part 1)"
"Tōno Yōkai-sen Michiyuki ~Sono Ichi~" (遠野妖怪戦道行～其の壱～)
|September 18, 2015|
|After parting with the Kamaitachi siblings, Tora and Ushio head to their next destination Touno. On the way however they are attacked and separated by youkai who wish to kill Ushio. A conversation with a friendly kappa youkai reveals that the true reason is his mother and tells a story of Hakumen no Mono, a ruthless human and demon-killing youkai from China that retreated from a war with both factions long ago. Before he can finish with the truth about his mother, Ushio must flee from the attacking youkai once more. Elsewhere, Tora struggles to understand why he's changed so much when challenged by a fellow youkai past, Hitotsuki, one who is part of the group hunting Ushio.|
|13||"The Road to the Touno Youkai Battle (Part 2)"
"Tōno Yōkai-sen Michiyuki ~Sono Ni~" (遠野妖怪戦道行～其の弐～)
|September 25, 2015|
|After escaping the attacking youkai and saving an old man, Ushio recovers his strength and rests at a bakery in a small town. Ushio relates to them his struggles and how many people have been endangered since he pulled the spear. Ushio is reunited with the Kamaitachi siblings and the team tries to resist the youkai forces. They are saved by Tora and escape. However, a mist warps Ushio to a humble mansion of the leader of the mountain youkai. The leader relates the remainder of the tale of why the youkai seek vengeance against Ushio. His mother is part of a line of women tasked with upholding a barrier keeping Hakumen no Mono dormant yet preventing the other youkai from exacting their revenge on the monster. After Tora battles Hitotsuki, all the youkai cede and allow Ushio to continue his journey.|
|14||"Chasing Hiyou ~ Successor"
"Hiyō Tsuiseki ~ Denshōsha" (婢妖追跡～伝承者)
|October 2, 2015|
|Hakumen no Mono, sensing the coming of the Beast Spear sends out its familiars or hiyou to destroy the spear and its wielder. Ushio ends up encountering one of the successors trained by the Kouhamei sect to wield the Beast Spear, Seikimori Hinowa. She demands the spear, stating that Ushio's lack of training has been the paramount factor in why so many people have been put in danger. Ushio ends up giving up the spear but when Hinowa encounters a more powerful hiyou, she finds that it will not lend her its power. Ushio and Tora return to save her and she acknowledges Ushio's worth for a time. Later, as the duo try to head to their next destination, Tora is sidetracked by a duel with another one of the successors, Akiba Nagare. Tora defeats him and relates that the reason he continues to follow Ushio is that he's never bored when he's with him.|
|15||"The Crossroads of the Chase ~ Successor"
"Tsuigeki no Kōsa ~ Denshōsha" (追撃の交差～伝承者)
|October 9, 2015|
|As the Hiyō possess a bus in which Ushio is traveling to kill him, along with the rest of the passengers, Ushio must rely on the help of Akiba Nagare and Tora to stop them.|
|October 16, 2015|
|Another of the successors, Satoru Moritsuna, attacks Ushio, even as he is accompanied by Jun Moritsuna, Akiba Nagare and others. After determining that Satoru Moritsuna's head is possessed by the Hiyō, Ushio has to decide whether to enter Moritsuna's body to defeat the Hiyō, and risk himself turning into a monster, or not.|
|17||"To Kamui Kotan"
"Kamui Kotan e" (カムイコタンへ)
|October 23, 2015|
|As Ushio turns into a monster, all the people he has met and saved gather to save him. Jie Mei gathers the five girls Ushio has strong bonds with - Asako, Mayuko, Reiko, Saya and Yū to save Ushio. They are to comb Ushio's hair using the comb that his mother gave him, to return Ushio back to his human self.|
|18||"Revival: And Finally..."
"Fukkatsu ~ Soshite Tsui ni" (復活～そしてついに)
|October 30, 2015|
|After the girls finally manage to save him, Ushio enters the cave where Hakumen no Mono resides along with Tora.|
|19||"The Demon That Turns Back Time"
"Tokisaka no Ayakashi" (時逆の妖)
|November 6, 2015|
|Once inside the cave, Ushio and Tora are carried over to the past by a time manipulating yōkai. There, they bear witness to how Hakumen no Mono first attacked the king and people of China, destroying the city and killing the parents of Jie Mei and Giryō.|
|20||"The Demon Returns"
"Ayakashi, Kikaesu" (妖、帰還す)
|November 13, 2015|
|Ushio is further witness to the creation of the Beast Spear. As Jie Mei and the time manipulating yōkai bring them back Ushio and Tora to the present, Jie Mei also tells Ushio the reason why the barrier was created around Hakumen no Mono and also about his mother.|
|21||"The Fourth: Kirio"
"Yoninme no Kirio" (四人目のキリオ)
|November 20, 2015|
|Kirio pays a visit to Ushio to take the Beast Spear from him. But they are interrupted when Kuragi, an insect like yōkai, who is avatar of Hakumen no Mono attacks the Kōhamei Sect headquarters, unstoppable by any. Ushio and Kirio are taken there by Shigure where Ushio meets Mikado Hizaki. Later, as Ushio falls after failing to defeat Kuragi, Mikado Hizaki freezes the monster and Kirio finishes it off. Mikado Hizaki dies after exhausting her powers. Afterwards, we see Kirio telling his mother how he finished the monster himself, and that no one believes him when he says that they don't need the Beast Spear to defeat Hakumen no Mono. She gives him the Beast Spear's red cloth and tells him that if no one believes, it is ok to break the spear to show them so.|
|22||"Great Summoning: Destruction of the Beast Spear"
"Gekishū: Kemono no Yari Hakai no Koto" (激召～獣の槍破壊のこと)
|November 27, 2015|
|As Ushio becomes depressed due to his inability to save Mikado Hizaki, Tora tried to fire him up by verbally insulting and fighting him, but leaves once it is proved useless. Kirio comes to steal the Beast Spear from Ushio along with a few supporters and snatches it from Ushio using the red cloth. When Nagare arrives to warn Ushio, he is joined by Tora in the search of Kirio. Hinowa joins Ushio in the search of the Spear. The group arrive at a facility and find the diary of Kyōra, the creator of the Elzaar Scythe. They come to know of a woman named Towako (who is the one who took the red cloth and acts as Kirio's mother) who helped him greatly in achieving success in his researches in creating the Elzaar Scythe, Kuin and even Kirio.|
"Eigō no Kodoku" (永劫の孤独)
|December 4, 2015|
|24||"The Fools Gather at the Banquet"
"Orokamono wa Utage ni Tsudou" (愚か者は宴に集う)
|December 11, 2015|
|25||"H.A.M.M.R~The H.A.M.M.R Institute"
"H.A.M.M.R~Hama Kikan" (H・A・M・M・R～ハマー機関～)
|December 18, 2015|
|December 25, 2015|
|27||"The Wind Blows"
"Kaze ga Fuku" (風が吹く)
|April 1, 2016|
|28||"I Won't Lose Anyone Else"
"Mō Kobosanai" (もうこぼさない)
|April 8, 2016|
|29||"The Night of the Crescent Moon"
"Mikazuki no Yoru" (三日月の夜)
|April 15, 2016|
|30||"The Journey of No Return"
"Fuki no Tabi" (不帰の旅)
|April 22, 2016|
|31||"To the Sea of Chaos"
"Konton no Umi e" (混沌の海へ)
|April 29, 2016|
|May 6, 2016|
|33||"The Beast Spear Destroyed"
"Kemono no Yari Hakai" (獣の槍破壊)
|May 13, 2016|
|May 20, 2016|
|May 27, 2016|
|36||"To the Promised Night"
"Yakusoku no Yoru e" (約束の夜へ)
|June 3, 2016|
|37||"The Ultimate Insult"
"Saikyō no Akutai" (最強の悪態)
|June 10, 2016|
"Saishū Kyokumen" (最終局面)
|June 17, 2016|
|39||"The Fate of Ushio and Tora"
"Ushio to Tora no En" (うしおととらの縁)
|June 24, 2016|
|This section needs expansion with: Reviews. You can help by adding to it. (February 2014)|
- "ビデオ編" [Video Releases]. 1998 Animage Pocket Data Notes. Animage Pocket Data Notes (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Tokuma Shoten. March 1998. p. 96.
- "Ushio & Tora Supernatural Battle Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. 2015-02-02.
- "Ushio & Tora TV Anime Confirms Split Season Plans, More Cast". Anime News Network. 2015-06-24. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- Komatsu, Mikikazu (2016-03-14). "Megumi Hayashibara Voices Hakumen no Mono in "Ushio and Tora"". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- 小学館漫画賞：歴代受賞者 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved 2007-08-19.
- "Fly With the High - The X-Button". Anime News Network. January 20, 2010. Retrieved February 12, 2014.