Wikipedia:Wikipedia Takes Mumbai II
Wikipedia Takes Mumbai is a scavenger hunt for free content photography in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is inspired by "Wikipedia Takes The City" that happens all around the world. The aim of this exercise is to encourage participants to compete to take photographs of as many local sights and city specific objects of cultural heritage as possible for Wikipedia articles. This is aimed at illustrating Wikipedia articles and increasing the media content Wikimedia Commons, thereby nourishing Wikipedia, contributing to open and free knowledge sharing and promote awareness about Wikipedia in the city. All Wikipedians and non-Wikipedians are invited to participate in team of up to three (no special knowledge is required at all, just a digital camera and a love of the city).
Date: Saturday, 28 January 2012.
Time: 8 am.
Point of Assembly: Oval Maidan
Guidelines for the event
- Spread word through media
- Get contact details
- Encourage new people from outside the community to join.
- This is a team event. Teams can be comprised of maximum four-five members.
- Camera (not compulsory!)
- Walk/Vehicle to move around/ public transport/ autos are also okay.
- Data cable/ card reader for transfer of photos.
- Disable on-image timestamps or other data that appears over-top of images.
- Please empty the memory card.
Maps/Routes: The 3 routes for the photo walk.
- Assembling at Oval Maidan at 8am
- The formation of groups and briefing to participants
- Be flexible and capture images of beautiful architectures of Mumbai which possible are not included in the list.
- Meeting at Homi Bhabha centre for science education (hbcse) by 2.30pm
- Upload of pics on Wikimedia Commons.
Dos and Don'ts for the photo-walk.
- Bring plenty of water.
- Wear light-coloured clothing and get caps.
- Do not worry about the angles/ nitty gritties of the photo or your camera skills!
- Try and take a clear shot of the building.
- Note down the list of places, names of buildings that you photograph.
- If you learn something new about a landmark/ statue/ building, do pass on the info. It would be very useful to update in the wiki pages.
- If you want to leave early, make sure you transfer your pictures to team volunteer.
- Do not take pictures of people - To maintain a level of decency and also not to breach privacy
- Remember that all photos will be used for Wikipedia, hence do not include personal photos.
- Personal photos will not be considered for selection.
- Do not waste time, respect the time limit.
- Do not go into people's homes to photograph. All photos to be buildings/ statues/ landmarks of Mumbai.
- Do not take photos where it is prohibited to do so.
- Do not watermark the images you wish to upload to the Wikimedia Commons.
Mumbai articles that need photographs
- All photos should be uploaded and thereby released under the Creative Commons license.
Add your name as " # ~~~ " if you have an username or else add " # Name"
- Nicke.me (talk) 05:28, 27 January 2012 (UTC) nsbelavategmail.com
- AnshumanF (talk) 07:27, 27 January 2012 (UTC) - anshuman.fotedargmail.com
- Narendrabora - Narendraboragmail.com
- Karthik Nadar - Karthikndrgmail.com
- Sandhyaa Suri - sandhyaasurigmail.com
- Arundhati Chatterjee - arundhati.chotmail.com
- Ravi Sapkal - email@example.com
News / Blogs / Media exposure
- Shooting city for web viewers - The Times of India. 29 January 2012.
- Wikipedians set out on mission to capture Mumbai landmarks - DNA India. 30 January 2012.