The parish church of St. Andrew
Kingham shown within Oxfordshire
|Population||969 (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||Chipping Norton|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The Church of England parish church of Saint Andrew has a 15th-century Perpendicular Gothic west tower. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1852-1853. The tower has a ring of eight bells, all cast in 1924 by John Taylor & Co of Loughborough.
Both The Rectory and the Old Rectory Cottage are 17th century.
Construction of the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (OW&W) along the Evenlode Valley began in 1845 and was completed in 1853. It passes through the western part of Kingham parish but originally there was no station. In 1855 the Chipping Norton Railway was opened linking Chipping Norton with the OW&W 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Kingham village where new station, Chipping Norton Junction, was opened. In 1862 the Bourton on the Water Railway opened between Chipping Norton Junction and Bourton-on-the-Water. The Great Western Railway took over the OW&W in 1862 and the Chipping Norton and Bourton lines in 1897. In 1909 the GWR renamed the junction station "Kingham". In 1962 British Railways closed the branch lines to Chipping Norton and Bourton-on-the-Water. BR later replaced the historic Kingham railway station with a modern building.
Kingham has a village shop and post office, a Royal British Legion club, a village hall, two village greens, a children's play park and a football field.
- "Area selected: West Oxfordshire (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 673
- "Place: Kingham S Andrew". Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 674
- The Plough
- The Tollgate
- The Mill House
- Kingham County Primary School
- Kingham Hill School
- Rupert Uloth, Country Life, 11 November 2006
- Alex James, Rural Notebook
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 673–675. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
Media related to Kingham at Wikimedia Commons