Map of Bulacan showing the location of Marilao
|Region||Central Luzon (Region III)|
|• Mayor||Juanito "Tito" H. Santiago (LP)|
|• Total||33.74 km2 (13.03 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,100/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|• Registered Voters||87,282|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class urban|
Marilao is a first class, highly urbanized city in the province of Bulacan, Philippines. According to the 2010 NSO census, it has a population of 204,356 inhabitants. With the continuous expansion of Metro Manila, the city is part of Manila's built-up area which reaches San Ildefonso on its northernmost part.
Long before the establishment as an independent town Marilao traces its origin as a little as a barrio.It was initially a Barrio of Meycauayan and the Franciscan Missionaries from Meycauayan built a visita dedicated to San Miguel Arcangel.
In April 21, 1796, the Barrio of Marilao was established as a pueblo as approved by the Alcalde Mayor of Bulacan and the Franciscan friars of Meycauayan with the approval of Archbishop of Manila, the visita of San Miguel Arcangel became a Town Church were Padre Vicente de Talavera was its parish priest.
Just as the national government, the city government of Marilao is divided into three branches: executive, legislative and judiciary. The judicial branch is administered solely by the Supreme Court of the Philippines. The LGUs have control of the executive and legislative branch.
The executive branch is composed of the mayor and the barangay captain for the barangays. The legislative branch is composed of the Sangguniang Panglungsod (town assembly), Sangguniang Barangay (barangay council), and the Sangguniang Kabataan for the youth sector.
P30M City Hall of Marilao
Located at Brgy. Patubig, the new City Hall's construction began on 2011 and the landmark building was officially blessed and inaugurated on July 12, 2012. It was formally opened by Mayor Epifanio V. Guillermo and Juanito H. Santiago, Vice Mayor; the building was designed by Architect Ardel J. Santos.(geographical coordinates: 14° 45' 28" North, 120° 56' 54" East)
The seat of Government is vested upon the Mayor and other elected officers who hold office at the Marilao City Hall. The Sanguniang Panglungsod is the center of legislation.
|6||Loma de Gato||46,286||Urban / Most Populous|
|10||Poblacion 2nd||5,536||Highly Urban / Town Center|
|13||Santa Rosa 1st||9,921||Urban|
|14||Santa Rosa 2nd||8,510||Urban|
- Mayor Juanito H. Santiago
- Vice Mayor Andre Favian D. Santos
- Jun Bob J. Dela Cruz
- Divina Espiritu-Reyes
- Allane T. Sayo
- Arnold T. Papa
- Irma G. Celones
- Marlon O. Villamar
- Mark Joseph L. Guillermo
- Wilfredo D. Diaz
|Population Census of Marilao|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Attractions and festivals
- SM City Marilao (opened November 28, 2003)
- National Shrine of the Divine Mercy
- Luyang Dilaw Festival (Held during May 2)
Himig ng Marilao
The Himig ng Marilao (Marilao Hymn) is the official municipal anthem of Marilao. Composed by Gener Javier, it is used in civic occasions such as school/municipal flag ceremonies and the inauguration of new officials.
|Himig ng Marilao||Literal English translation|
Masdán mo ang bayan ko,
Ang bawat mámamayan,
Bayan ko ay may dangál,
See my town,
My town hath honour,
(Note: The hymn is customarily sung in full twice.)
St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church
Main Article: San Miguel Arcangel Church, Marilao
The April 21, 1796, (Heritage) St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church was erected by Padre Vicente de Talavera. Its construction started in 1848 and was finished in 1868. The church was burnt in 1899, rebuilt in 1902 and 1922 and finally in 1967 by Fr. José M.Salas.
The Parish celebrates its Patronal Feasts on May 8 and September 29. Its 28th Parish Priest, Rev. Fr. Alberto D.J. Santiago succeeded Fr. Avelino G. Santos. Under Parochial Vicar, Fr. Francis Protacio S. Cortez III,OSA. It is hundred years old spiritual edifice in Poblacion I considered as “place marker” and serve as “point of orientation” to the local residents and visitors.
St Michael the Archangel Parish is under the jurisdiction of the Latin Rite Diocese of Malolos, a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Manila canonically erected in 1961. The mother church of the Diocese is the Malolos Cathedral located in Malolos City, Bulacan.
Marilao, part of the World's "Dirty 30" polluted cities in 2007
In 2007, The City of Meycauayan and the town of Marilao in Bulacan province share a slot in the list of the world’s 30 most polluted places in the developing world drawn up by a private New York-based institute. In its report, “The World’s Worst Polluted Places” for 2007, the Blacksmith Institute said: “Industrial waste is haphazardly dumped into the Meycauayan, Marilao and Obando River system, a source of drinking and agricultural water supplies for the 250,000 people living in and around” the Meycauayan-Marilao area. Marilao also shares border with Caloocan City.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Province: BULACAN". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- http://www.dilg.gov.ph/pdf/LGC%20Book%203.pdf Local Government Code of the Philippines, Book III, Department of Interior and Local Government official website
- Imbestigador ng Bayan: The P30M town hall in Bulacan | 24 Oras | GMA News Online
- Marilao Map | Philippines Google Satellite Maps
- marilao bulacan - GPS Places and POI in Philippines
- File:MunicipalHallofMarilao,Bulacanjf 1427 01.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
- Bulacan, Philippines: Marilao, Bulacan: General Info
- Diocese of Malolos
- Marilao, Bulacan - WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
- Inquirer.net, Meycauayan, Marilao in world’s ‘Dirty 30’-- report
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marilao, Bulacan.|
- Bulacan Official Website - Marilao
- Marilao Bulacan
- New Website of Marilao
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- The Blacksmith Institute - World's Worst Polluted Places
- Iglesia, "Ang Bayan ng Dios" - Multiply Website
||Bocaue / Santa Maria|
|Meycauayan||San Jose del Monte|