Nissan VR engine
|Nissan VR engine|
|Configuration||DOHC 60° V6|
The VR is a 3.8 L twin-turbo DOHC V6 automobile engine from Nissan. An evolution of the widely successful VQ series, it draws on developments from the VRH JGTC and Nissan R390 GT1 Le Mans racing engines.
The VR38DETT sports 24 valves controlled by dual overhead camshafts (the total 4 cams for the both overheads) with variable valve timing (intake only). The block is cast aluminum with 0.15 mm (0.006 in) plasma-sprayed cylinder liner bores. This coating provides a hard protective layer for the piston rings to slide on as the piston moves up and down during their cycles. The turbine housings for the two IHI turbochargers are integrated into the exhaust manifolds to decrease weight and bolster vehicle balance. The engine also sports a pressurized lubrication system controlled thermostatically. The VR38DETT is equipped with a feedback control system that changes air fuel ratio depending on the engine load which has a significant effect on reducing the fuel consumption.
Fully equipped with the first set of catalytic converters, turbos, all of the engine driven accessories, front differential assembly, and turbo outlet pipes, the engine weighs 608 lb (276 kg). It is currently the only version of the VR engine in production.
|Engine code||Vehicle||Year||Displacement||Weight||Bore||Stroke||C.R.||Max. power||Max. torque||Features|
|VR38DETT||Nissan GT-R||2007–current||3,799 cc (3.8 L; 231.8 cu in)||approx.600 lb (272.16 kg)||95.5 mm (3.76 in)||88.4 mm (3.48 in)||9.0:1||approx. 480 PS (353 kW) - 550 PS (405 kW) at 6,400 rpm
600 PS (441 kW) at 6,800 rpm (NISMO)
|588 N·m (434 lbf·ft) - 652 N·m (481 lbf·ft) from 3,200–6,000 rpm||DOHC per bank
Variable inlet cam phasing
Other pertinent features of the VR38DETT include:
- Continuously variable valve timing control system (CVTCS) on intake valves
- Aluminum cylinder block with high-endurance/low-friction plasma-sprayed bores
- Iridium-tipped spark plugs
- Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
- Pressurized lubrication system with thermostatically controlled cooling and magnesium oil sump
- Fully symmetrical dual intake and low back-pressure exhaust system
- Secondary air intake system to rapidly heat catalysts to peak cleaning efficiency
- 50 State LEV2/ULEV
- 2008–2011 Nissan GT-R CBA-R35 480 HP
- 2012-present Nissan GT-R DBA-R35 530-550 HP
- 2014-present Nissan GT-R Nismo 600 HP
- 2012-present Nissan Juke-R (limited production run)
- 2014 Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype 560 HP
- 2012-present Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 500 HP
- "日産：NISSAN GT-R [ GT-R ] スポーツ＆スペシャリティ/SUV Webカタログ ホーム". .nissan.co.jp. 2007-10-24. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- JDM Spec Engines - Nissan VR38DETT Engine
- "VR38DETT engine weight | 2009 Nissan GT-R". 2009gtr.com. 2008-02-28. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
|This article about an automotive part or component is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|