Tushhan or Tušhan was a northern Assyrian provincial capital in the upper Tigris river valley, on the south bank. It was inhabited since Mittani period, and mainly during the Neo-Assyrian period during the Iron Age. Tushan has been identified with the modern Ziyaret Tepe (Kurdish: Tepa Barava), Diyarbakir Province, Turkey.
The site of Ziyaret Tepe was occupied as early as the Early Bronze Age. Most of the urban development uncovered to date is from the Late Bronze and Iron Ages. In late Assyrian times it was known as Tushhan, until circa 612 BC, when that empire fell. The site is expected to be inundated by the Ilısu Dam around 2014.
Work at the location began with 3 years of surface survey and remote sensing in 1997  Since 2000, site has been excavated by a team directed by Timothy Matney of the University of Akron. An important assemblage of cuneiform clay tablets was found there, translated by Simo Parpola of Helsinki University.
 See also
- Timothy Matney, The First Season of Excavation at Ziyaret Tepe in the Diyarbakir Province, Anatolica, vol. 24, pp. 7-30, 1998
- Timothy Matney and Lewis Somers, The Second Season of Excavation at Ziyaret Tepe in the Diyarbakir Province, Anatolica, vol. 25, pp. 203-219, 1999
- Timothy Matney and A. Bauer, The Third Season of Archaeological Survey at Ziyaret Tepe in Diyarbakir Province, Anatolica, vol. 26, pp. 119-128, 2000
- Timothy Matney et. al.,Archaeological Excavations at Ziyaret Tepe: 2000 and 2001, Anatolica, vol. 28, pp. 47-89, 2002
- Timothy Matney et. al.,Archaeological Investigations at Ziyaret Tepe: 2002, Anatolica, vol. 29, pp. 175-221, 2003
- Timothy Matney and L. Rainville, Archaeological Investigations at Ziyaret Tepe: 2003 and 2004, Anatolica, vol. 31, pp. 19-68, 2005
- Timothy, Matney et.al., Report on Excavations at Ziyaret Tepe, 2006 Season, Anatolica, vol. 33, pp. 23-73, 2007
- Timothy, Matney et.al., Excavations at Ziyaret Tepe 2007-2008, Anatolica, vol. 35, pp. 37-84, 2009
- S. Parpola, Cuneiform Texts From Ziyaret Tepe (Ancient Tushan) 2002-2003, State Archives of Assyria Bulletin, vol. 16, 2006
- Timothy Matney and Ann Donkin, Mapping the Past: An Archaeogeophysical Case Study from Southeastern Turkey, Near Eastern Archaeology, vol. 69, pp. 12–26, 2006