User talk:Dominic/Archive26

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Hi Dominic, Unfortunately I am home sick today and see we will be moving our article from sandbox to the main page..I was wondering if you could email the steps..or maybe we could meet on campus? I can also email my mentor..thanks Dabenson (talk) 15:25, 16 March 2011 (UTC)

Contents

Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter: 28 January 2011[edit]

Wikipedia-Ambassador-Program-Logo.png




This is the first issue of the Wikipedia Ambassador Program newsletter. Please read it! It has important information about the the current wave of classes, instructions and advice, and other news about the ambassador program.





Delivered by EdwardsBot (talk) 00:31, 29 January 2011 (UTC)

Email[edit]

Hi Dominic,

I'm not sure if you regularly check the email address you used for the AUSC mailing list, but I emailed you on Jan 23 and don't seem have received a reply.

Can you check and reply? Thanks, –xenotalk 23:08, 31 January 2011 (UTC)

Sorry about that. I've gradually stopped paying close attention to non-mailing list personal mail to the Wikipedia email account, since I hardly have any anymore. I'm replying now. Dominic·t

Matija Babić[edit]

Just in case you aren't watching - i've un-prod-ed it, please AFD it instead. I personally have no particular plan to object there. --Joy [shallot] (talk) 19:53, 5 February 2011 (UTC)

topic for public policy[edit]

Hi Dominic, I am starting to work on my public policy project and was thinking of doing a piece on airport screening and pat downs. There is already information on this subject on Wikipedia. Can I still do a research paper on that topic or maybe you could suggest a subtopic for me. Thanks. DeniseDabenson (talk) 19:45, 8 February 2011 (UTC)

I think you are going to have a hard time if you are looking at working specifically on the recent controversy. You might encounter problems in scope (because it is recent and ongoing, the amount of news sources are effectively endless) and stability (because it's a high-profile topic, you might find others editing your article, and it might be a topic more prone to disagreement). What I think you should really look for are concrete topics with a definite scope lacking existing coverage on Wikipedia. And remember, this is a real encyclopedia as well as an assignment, so duplication doesn't help anyone.
You'll probably want to do some general searches for related articles that need improvement; you might also start at some of the more general topic articles like airport security, Transportation Security Administration, and air safety looking for links to other articles that are either red links (non-existent) or short articles. You'll also want to look in categories for more short articles. At the bottom of each article page, you'll see links to various categories which can be used for searching. One good way to use categories is to find the "stub" categories on short articles, which will lead you to related articles of short length (I found Category:United States federal legislation stubs, Category:United States government stubs, and Category:Aviation stubs this way.) When you find an article that looks promising, do a cursory search for sources to see if you will be able to write at length on the topic. To demonstrate, I have listed of the articles I found in a quick search using these techniques below, but you'll have a better idea of what interests you and can probably search better on your own. Dominic·t 23:30, 8 February 2011 (UTC)

Hi Dominic, thanks you have been very helpful. I'll look into the information you sent me and hopefully can narrow down a topic for our next meeting.Dabenson (talk) 21:41, 9 February 2011 (UTC)denise

Permanently delete[edit]

Can you delete this page as it includes WP:OUTING info? — Timneu22 · talk 19:31, 9 February 2011 (UTC)

It looks like SlimVirgin has already stepped in. :-) Dominic·t 15:02, 11 February 2011 (UTC)

Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter: 13 February 2011[edit]

Wikipedia-Ambassador-Program-Logo.png




This is the second issue of the Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter, with details about what's going on right now and where help is needed.



  • Userboxes and profiles - Add an ambassador userbox to your page, and make sure you've added your mentor profile!
  • Be a coordinating ambassador - Pick and class and make sure no students fall through the cracks.
  • New screencasts - Short videos on watchlists and a number of other topics may be useful to students.
  • Updates from Campus Ambassadors - Ambassadors are starting to report on classroom experiences, both on-wiki and on the Google Group.
  • Other news - There's a new on-wiki application for being an Online Ambassador, and Editing Friday #2 is today!
  • Things you can do - This is just a sample; if you're eager for something to do, there's plenty more.

Delivered by EdwardsBot (talk) 18:22, 11 February 2011 (UTC)

John Cannan[edit]

I've transformed it from the shoddy stub you prodded for "BLP1E". Do have a quick Google before you prod articles! Fences&Windows 00:38, 12 February 2011 (UTC)


Thanks[edit]

thanks for your welcome message Dominic & the links. I found an issue with one of the edits I'd made before reading the tutorial so have fixed it now. thanks again! Kathodonnell (talk) 12:14, 17 February 2011 (UTC)

Ragsdale[edit]

You have two unsourced paragraphs in the NAACP section. You will have to fix them before I can approve the article. Gatoclass (talk) 08:51, 2 March 2011 (UTC)

Okay, I promoted the hook. It had the advantage of giving me an excuse to get another very ordinary hook out of the update, which I was thinking about removing anyhow :) Gatoclass (talk) 09:26, 2 March 2011 (UTC)

DYK for Lincoln Ragsdale[edit]

Gatoclass (talk) 18:04, 2 March 2011 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Very Important Person and Don't have a cow[edit]

I removed the prod tag you placed on Very Important Person, as per policy an article that has been discussed at AfD is permanently ineligible for deletion via prod. Compliance with policy is the only reason I did this, I have no comment one way or the other on the merits of deletion, and you are welcome to open another AfD. —KuyaBriBriTalk 16:41, 9 March 2011 (UTC)

Same goes for Don't have a cow. —KuyaBriBriTalk 16:44, 9 March 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for letting me know. In the case of the second one, you are referring to an AfD without a single keep vote, and which resulted in the article being redirected to a now-deleted article. That seems like a silly basis for not allowing prod, since it was all but deleted in the AfD. Dominic·t 07:50, 10 March 2011 (UTC)

Review of rangeblock at AN[edit]

I just posted a note at WP:AN about a rangeblock from back in 2006. Mangojuice changed the block setting shortly after ypou applied the block so I mistakenly thoght Mangojuice was the original Admin. Would you mind commenting on it? Thanks in advance. 64.40.62.149 (talk) 22:31, 19 March 2011 (UTC)

Face-smile.svg Thank you 64.40.62.53 (talk) 04:48, 20 March 2011 (UTC)

thanks for checking on me[edit]

thanks again Dominic for checking in on me and the tip about 'minor change'. I'll keep that in mind for future work. I wasn't sure what was classed as a minor change so thanks for clarifying. atm I'm just trying to add more references and tidy the sections to make them look more like the GA ones. hopefully I'm doing the references correctly! I see different versions on different pages. just found out about ref name="" if I want to reuse the same reference for different parts of the article. thanks again Kathodonnell (talk) 10:45, 20 March 2011 (UTC)

woah! thanks for the tip about the cite templates & link. I hadn't noticed that - I'd been manually typing it each time. this is so much better. (must have had blinkers on for that edit bar) thank you! Kathodonnell (talk) 11:46, 20 March 2011 (UTC)

gig lineups for music article references?[edit]

hi Dominic, I've been checking some of the other Australian music articles to see what they need to get rated higher. & I noticed Downsyde is C class. I notice it has more text/explanations. & it has a few references that are gig lineups for festivals. I've mostly been checking more academic references / edited publications. is it ok to include the gig lineups? (I'll still keep looking for the other ones) it seems a bit promotional, but perhaps they're there to reference that the band played at the festivals. I'm looking at the hilltop hoods a class article also for examples on how it's done (both Aus hip hop) Kathodonnell (talk) 05:02, 21 March 2011 (UTC)

This is an interesting question. I don't generally (i.e., ever) write on musicians, or pop culture in general. You might want to check WP:MUSIC, or even ask around over there, for a more coherent answer. However, I can share my thought process on the issue. I think these types of references are problematic for the reasons you suspect. The reason that they seem promotional is because they aren't independent, being published by the festival people themselves. Another reason this isn't ideal is that if a source is not an independent media source, it becomes difficult to gauge the noteworthiness of that performance. Most of our musicians' articles probably mention if they played at Woodstock, but that's because the event is so notable that outside sources on the musicians will mention this.

Obviously, it is less clear-cut when you are looking at a band that is notable for putting out an album or two, but whose gigs might not receive news coverage. In these edge cases, we have to do the best we can. I'm not sure how important playing at these gigs is considered in the career of a musician, or even if it should generally merit inclusion; you probably have a better idea of that. I wouldn't be afraid to remove anything with such poor sourcing if you are also skeptical of its importance (but ask at the WikiProject before you start removing them on a large scale or very rapidly, probably). If they are important enough to keep, news sources are preferable, but failing that, a reputable music blog might suffice. I would only include gig lineups or (worst case) an artist's own website if there is no alternative and you absolutely want to keep the information about the festival (but, again, consider what the fact that there is no news coverage of the gig might be telling you). Hope that's not too unhelpful! ;-) Dominic·t 14:17, 22 March 2011 (UTC)

thanks very much for your reply. this makes sense. & thanks for the wp:music link too, I hadn't seen that before & it explains/includes some examples of what's not to be used. I'll try find some articles / interviews where the band/artist has mentioned they've thought this gig/release was important in their career, or that the writer has commented similarly on it & see if I can replace some of the current references with these. even interviews might be seen as not independent enough as it's the subject speaking (question/answer interviews). some of the pages still do sound very promotional, so I'm hoping to help work (slowly) on changing these to npov next. thanks again :) Kathodonnell (talk) 02:49, 23 March 2011 (UTC)

Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter: 21 March 2011[edit]

Wikipedia-Ambassador-Program-Logo.png




This is the third issue of the Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter, with details about what's going on right now and where help is needed.



Delivered by EdwardsBot (talk) 22:22, 21 March 2011 (UTC)


Remember me? :)[edit]

I haven't written you in a very very long time. How are you doing? I have completely divorced myself from anything approaching controversy. I'm just doing disamming nowadays. Anyway. I sent you an email. :) --User:Woohookitty Disamming fool! 05:49, 22 March 2011 (UTC)

A familiar song. --User:Woohookitty Disamming fool! 04:44, 23 March 2011 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Dominic. You have new messages at Sadads's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

DYK for Iman al-Obeidi[edit]

Dominic, thanks for your comment. I tried to address your concerns there. Regards, Cinosaur (talk) 15:22, 30 March 2011 (UTC)

Replied. Cinosaur (talk) 05:36, 31 March 2011 (UTC)

Barnstar[edit]

Ambassador Barnstar 117x111px.png Wikipedia Ambassador Barnstar
For bringing an ambassador presence to new places with the Superbowl / edit histories primer blog post–and for all the rest of his outstanding work as an ambassador–I award Dominic the Wikipedia Ambassador Barnstar. Sage Ross - Online Facilitator, Wikimedia Foundation (talk) 17:40, 5 April 2011 (UTC)
Thanks! :-) Dominic·t 18:25, 5 April 2011 (UTC)
congrats! you deserve one for being helpful to newbies too :) Kathodonnell (talk) 08:12, 14 April 2011 (UTC)

DYK[edit]

Hi, can you please re-check Template_talk:Did_you_know#The_Motherfucker_With_the_Hat, because I believe the problems have been addressed. Thanks,  Chzz  ►  12:41, 17 April 2011 (UTC)

Thanks very much for doing that.  Chzz  ►  03:32, 21 April 2011 (UTC)

Barnstar[edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
For missing out on the real real life barnstar by winning the photography competition but losing the rock–paper–scissors tournament.  :-) Antony–22 (talkcontribs) 02:29, 18 April 2011 (UTC)

SPI[edit]

There was a previous SPI for Tentontunic and also for mark nutley (although it was deleted). Why did checkuser not find that the two accounts were related? Is that because no request had been made to compare the two accounts or because there was no evidence at the time? I wanted to know because it would be helpful in future SPI/checkuser requests. TFD (talk) 15:20, 20 April 2011 (UTC)

I'd rather not get too much into the specifics, but I think it will suffice to say that there appears to have been a serious effort at shielding his identity. CheckUser is more of an art than a science, and I wouldn't fault anyone for not making the connection before. If someone had actually asked for the two to be compared, looking specifically for the connection would likely have made it more obvious, but sometimes we just stumble upon things. Dominic·t 18:19, 20 April 2011 (UTC)

Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter: 22 April 2011[edit]

Wikipedia-Ambassador-Program-Logo.png




This is the fourth issue of the Wikipedia Ambassador Program Newsletter, with details about what's going on right now and where help is needed.



Delivered by EdwardsBot (talk) 16:32, 22 April 2011 (UTC)

Your name mentioned in an off-wikipedia coordination list (for Wikipedia[edit]

Hi Dominic, Please see here: [1] with regards to a user whom you blocked in an article some years ago. In Russian Wikipedia, a coordinated ethnic-activity group was discovered and its users severely sanctioned. However, in English Wikipedia, the number of posts is much smaller. I would like to just note that your name was mentioned by a user who also coordinated off-wiki activity for voting. Here is the comments about you: "Guys I am totally blocked by Dmcdevit. He claimed that he blocked warring parties, but in fact he only blocked me, both Nareklm and Mardavich are freely editing Safavid Dynasty page. Please, watch it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safavid_Dynasty How can you post request for arbitration. I think Dmcdevit is Armenian, if so we are screwed." And response: "He is not Armenian, he is just a totally mad man. He can block people for nothing. Also, he’s a member of arbitration committee, so he is a very influential person. Last time he blocked both me and Tigran for 72hrs (3 days), and I did not even break 3RR. So be careful next time."

I can prove the mentioned user also seeking votes in the article from this wikipedia grouplist. Also note the comments I posted here which are racist: [2] and from that list (as well in general wikipedia). Given these racist comments as well as the off-wikipedia coordination list (confirmed in the Russian arbcomm case), I would like to ask for a permanent ban on the user (who was already involved in two arbcomms and also permanently banned from editing some articles). I will forward you the evidence privately. --Khodabandeh14 (talk) 19:10, 23 April 2011 (UTC)

Truesayer SPI[edit]

Hi thanks for helping with this. I've now added info to the SPI of an IP that's just started editing with the same behavior.--Shakehandsman (talk) 17:53, 27 April 2011 (UTC)

Mea culpa[edit]

When I first read the results this morning at Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Alam567, what my eyes saw were "no other accounts" leading me to think that I had gotten things wrong. I glossed over the "confirmed" part. That is what happens when you edit without having had your morning coffee. :) I thought I was going to have to apologize to the user. Humorously, I notice that the sockmaster has now made a request for adminship.
⋙–Berean–Hunter—► ((⊕)) 17:37, 28 April 2011 (UTC)

Marknutley/Tentontunic/IP 88.108.224.95[edit]

Dear Dominic. Since you came to a conclusion that Marknutley and Tentontunic are the different names of the same person, could you please examine more carefully the IP 88.108.224.95 also? I have serious reasons to suspect that this IP is a Marknutley's sockpuppet, which is being used to circumvent the block. My rationale is as follows:

  1. He is active only in two articles that have been the recent field of interest of Tentontunic/Marknutley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/88.108.224.95];
  2. He edits in the same vein; his recent edits are devoted to Malayan national liberation movement, which he persistently calls "terrorists"; Tentontunic pushes the same POV;
  3. He supplements his edits with rude[3] or frivolous[4] edit summaries, similar to what Tentontunic does ([5], [6], [7], [8], etc);
  4. According to some indirect evidences I conclude that both this IP and Marknutley/Tentontunic share the same geographic location (I do not want to give more details per WP:OUTING, because you are quite able to check my conclusion by yourself ).
    Thank you in advance,
    Regards, --Paul Siebert (talk) 18:01, 29 April 2011 (UTC)
The IP is already blocked.[9] TFD (talk) 22:24, 29 April 2011 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Dr.Mukesh111[edit]

Hey. Just a quick question. In this edit, you said that "JamiawalaJamiawala" is unrelated to Dr.Mukesh. The user's account, though, is Jamiawala. Was that a typo and you really did check Jamiawala? — HelloAnnyong (say whaaat?!) 14:00, 30 April 2011 (UTC)

Oh, I did indeed indeed check the right account. I must have had a twitch when I was copying and pasting that username, though. ;-) Thanks for checking. Dominic·t 19:17, 30 April 2011 (UTC)
Just a quick question regarding this user (Jamiawala). He is unrelated to Dr.Mukesh, but is there a chance he is related to any other user? I actually first mentioned him on another SPI, and I still suspect he is a sock of Shez 15 (talk · contribs). ShahidTalk2me 20:57, 30 April 2011 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Dominic. You have new messages at Jax 0677's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Talkback 2[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Dominic. You have new messages at Jax 0677's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Please take the Wikipedia Ambassador Program survey[edit]

Hi Ambassador,

We are at a pivotal point in the development of the Wikipedia Ambassador Program. Your feedback will help shape the program and role of Ambassadors in the future. Please take this 10 minute survey to help inform and improve the Wikipedia Ambassadors.

WMF will de-identify results and make them available to you. According to KwikSurveys' privacy policy: "Data and email addresses will not be sold, rented, leased or disclosed to 3rd parties." This link takes you to the online survey: http://kwiksurveys.com?u=WPAmbassador_talk

Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments, Thank You!

Amy Roth (Research Analyst, Public Policy Initiative) (talk) 20:38, 24 May 2011 (UTC)

Phoenix Wiknic[edit]

Phoenix Wiknic is ready to go (pending a few minor tweaks)--Jax 0677 (talk) 23:16, 30 May 2011 (UTC)

Milhist[edit]

Hello there, I responded to you at WT:MILHIST. Regards, Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 07:54, 1 June 2011 (UTC)

Barnstar[edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
Thanks for breaking new ground for the project at NARA and in general. Keep up the awesomeness throughout the summer and beyond. :-) Steven Walling 00:05, 3 June 2011 (UTC)
Thanks Steven! We're just getting started. ;-) Dominic·t 13:53, 3 June 2011 (UTC)

No attendees so far for Arizona Wiknic[edit]

Hey there, I have not gotten such good feedback for the Arizona Wiknic despite putting notices on several people's wall and posting a GeoNotice. Do people usually sign up for these things at the last minute?--Jax 0677 (talk) 17:01, 3 June 2011 (UTC)

Hey, I saw your post. Are you sure that you should be signing Brandon up for a picnic?--Jax 0677 (talk) 16:14, 6 June 2011 (UTC)

Oh, I know Brandon well, and I was just letting him know that I'd be disappointed in him if he doesn't go. ;-) I think the geonotice request has yet to be approved, so that should help a little once that gets going. But, in general, I would say that many people probably do sign up late. Let's try to get the word out, but we probably don't need to panic for a couple of weeks. We also could spam the people who signed up for the Phoenix meetup before, the people in the Arizonans user category, and the WikiProject page/participants. Dominic·t 18:41, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
There seems to be NO work happening on the Geonotice for the Phoenix Wiknic. It was supposed to be dispositioned by June 11, and it is now June 15?--Jax 0677 (talk) 16:08, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
Yeah, that's too bac. I poked someone directly about this [10]. Is it working for you? I can't test it since I'm outside of Arizona. Dominic·t 18:37, 16 June 2011 (UTC)

Let me be the 700th person to welcome you to the Archives! :-)[edit]

Hey Dominic! You've been quite a buzz around the office, even for those not working directly with the social media/NWE. Welcome aboard! If you make your way over to Archives II, come stop by 5360 and say hello to Stills. Anything I could help with, let me know. I certainly don't have a fraction of the experience with Wiki that you do, but I find it indispensable to my own work (and as a "brain extension" :-) ) and I think it's great that NARA is trying to join the 21st century. Good luck! BcNARApix (talk) 13:13, 4 June 2011 (UTC)

Wikinews interview[edit]

Hey Dominic, Congrats on getting the internship at the National Archives! I know you already had an interview with the Washington Post (is that the only interview you've had?), but would you mind answering a few questions for a Wikinews article I'm planning to write? Thanks for your consideration. Ragettho (talk) 14:11, 4 June 2011 (UTC)

Super! Thanks for the welcome :) I'm taking final exams this week, so I'll get in touch with you by this weekend. Cheers, Ragettho (talk) 18:50, 6 June 2011 (UTC)

Hey Dominic. Thanks again for agreeing to answer my questions. I've prepared my questions on wikinews:User:Ragettho/Interview proposal for National Archives Wikipedian in Residence, where you can see a preliminary sketch of how the article is going to look when we're done.

  1. Please submit your answers by editing my page on Wikinews, since this will allow the reviewers on Wikinews to easily verify the authenticity of the interview.
  2. You will see that I typed in your initials as "DMP". If you prefer a different set of initials, I would be happy to change that for you.
  3. As required by Wikinews' policy on original reporting, I am now making it clear that I am presenting myself "as an independent author/researcher, not as a 'representative' of Wikinews."
  4. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. When you finish answering my questions, I will write a full introduction for the article, and edit the page to conform with Wikinews' style guidelines. Once I finish that, I will then seek your approval before I submit the article for review.

All the best, Ragettho (talk) 01:30, 13 June 2011 (UTC)

Most active US related projects[edit]

I noticed that you added notices of Nara activities to some projects but not others. There are a lot of US related projects that don't get much activity but some that are very active are:

  • Wikipedia:WikiProject National Register of Historic Places
  • Wikipedia:WikiProject United States
  • Wikipedia:WikiProject U.S. Roads
  • the US, American Civil War and American Revolutionary War task forces under MILHIST.
  • By volume these 5 have a large percentage of the US related content and have a lot of activity. Of course there are others as well including states like New York and California but it didn't look like you contacted these so I thought I would let you know. --Kumioko (talk) 16:57, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
    • Hey, thanks! I am still feeling my way around, as you can see. I have been trying to get people's attention in various places, but I have been spending much of my time away from the wiki in working with NARA staff, talking to media, and general GLAM stuff, too. Really, most of the NARA project can and should run self-sufficiently without my help, even the editing challenge. So, I think the biggest hurdle is just in raising awareness and getting an initial editor base. If you are interested in the project at all, probably one of the most helpful things you could do would be to use your knowledge of the subject area and your contacts to help let like-minded editors, either personally or through noticeboards, know about it. Dominic·t 17:43, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
      • Sure I would be glad to help. I can add info about the project to the US newsletter if you want. Another thing that might interest you is the US wikipedians collaboration. For june we are going to be working on the United States Bill of Rights article and try and get it to at least GA quality (it takes a while to get through the actual promotion process so it probably won't "be" GA till later) by July 4th if you are interssted in that at all. If you want me to put something in the US newsletter about the project just let me know what you want it to say. --Kumioko (talk) 18:02, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
        • Thanks, that would be great! This US Bill of Rights collaboration sounds good. If there is anything that the National Archives can help with (high-quality images, for example), please let me know. I will look into whether there is a Bill of Rights expert on staff who might be willing to help out, or maybe provide an assessment for the article. Also, I notice that you are in the DC area. We are planning on holding an event (or some) at the National Archives this summer, so keep an eye out. :-) Dominic·t 18:11, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
          • Thanks, that would be great if the archives could help with the article. Not knowing whats available I don't know what to ask for but maybe someone there can take a glance at the article and provide some suggestions. I'll keep my eyes out for that collaboration, it would be very interesting to participate. I went to a couple at the Smithsonian but it seems to have slowed down a bit. --Kumioko (talk)03:05, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
            • I know your crazy busy but I was wondering if you had a chance to look over the article and see if there was anything you could see that the archives might be able to help with. Unfortunately I don't know what the have so I don't know what to ask for. Thanks again. --Kumioko (talk) 15:19, 13 June 2011 (UTC)

Test ban treaty[edit]

He Dominic, Not that it bothers me much, but I woas just wondering: why would the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty be in te scope of a country-specific archive of a non-ratifying state party? Rgds! L.tak (talk) 21:49, 7 June 2011 (UTC)

The project template I added is for a collaboration being undertaken between the US National Archives and Wikipedia. The question here is not whether the treaty has been ratified by the United States but whether a copy of the signed and as-of-yet-unratified treaty is a document held in the National Archives' collection. That is what makes it in scope. Please see the brand new WP:NARA to learn more about the project. Dominic·t 22:38, 7 June 2011 (UTC)

Wikisource and NAR[edit]

I am long-time contributor at Wikisource and saw your post over there. Wikisoure is a great platform for what you are suggesting, but it lacks large numbers of people who want to proofread. What people are attracted to Wikisource are mostly those who want to study X category of works in depth and are focused on their pet categories. I am certain you can find tons of help and advice on how to use Wikisource and a lot of support for the sort of hurdles that will crop up during proofreading. I don't know that you will find people already active on Wikisource who willing to step away from what they had been working on and spend a great deal of time proofreading NAR documents. I don't know if you have already began the NAR residency or not, but I will be traveling around the East Coast the week of the 20th If you would like to try meet up with me in person, send me an email. I would really like to see something useful happen with NAR and Wikisource. It would be great to show off what a great platform we have for this sort of work to people that are interested in doing such work!--BirgitteSB 01:17, 8 June 2011 (UTC)

Thanks a lot for this input. It makes a lot of sense. I am going to try my best to bring in outside editors to Wikisource where possible, but I do also want to add value to the projects people are already working on and invested in where I can (and maybe I wasn't as clear on that as I could have been). If you are going to be in the DC area, I'd love to meet (maybe we could organize an impromptu meetup with any local Wikmedians who can make it). And if you are going to be there for the 25th, be sure to come to the Wiknic. :-) Dominic·t 19:40, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. In the end I only passed through D.C. instead of spending a day there. I saw something else recently which might bring some attention to the project from people unconnected to Wikimedia. Although you already might be a ware of this. There is a contest going on from by the State of Missouri, Great Missouri Treasure Hunt, among other prizes winning essays will receive recognition in the 2011-2012 Official Manual of the State of Missouri. They are looking for interesting stories of pictures or documents uncovered from archives which are hosted in MO. I know NAR has a local office (St. Louis). If we could find some items there to collaborate on we could probable encourage several different editors to enter the contest and maybe win some recognition. I think a photo restoration collaboration would probably make an interesting story. They want the item to be somewhat relevant to MO History and the item has to be housed in MO, but people entering the contest can be from anywhere.--BirgitteSB 18:31, 1 July 2011 (UTC)

Question[edit]

Hi Dominic. Could you do a checkuser on User:Ankimai with User:Konstock? This is a case of WP:SCRUTINY, as both accounts are mainly used to hound other editors (the same editors in some cases), and make reverts in controversial topics (sometimes the same articles - [11]). Thanks. Khoikhoi 10:31, 9 June 2011 (UTC)

Sigh. I keep those two accounts for, as far as I know, a legitimate reason: my both ethnicities combined with my topics could give away my real-life identity. I would appreciate if this discussion could be deleted after the case is settled. I would prefer to first have the case settled, though. Would you, Khoikhoi, therefore please elaborate? Hounding? Mainly? The same editors in some cases? And would you, Dominic, please decide whether Khoikoi’s accusations are warranted? If they are not, I’d appreciate if some administrative action would be taken against Khoikhoi (see here, too). Thanks, Ankimai (talk) 17:30, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
Ankimai, you didn't address the substance of the complaint. It looks like you have used multiple accounts to edit some of the same articles in such a way as to suggest that you were more than one person. You even made reverts from different accounts on the same article about 30 minutes apart. Dominic·t 22:38, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
Did I? Where? How often? - Ankimai (talk) 22:41, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
Er, the link in Khoikhoi's original post? Dominic·t 22:43, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
One single incident? Making me guilty of hounding? Sockpuppetry? Ankimai (talk) 22:47, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
You are not really helping your case here. Do you have an explanation for it? And are you sure there aren't other such incidents? Dominic·t 22:50, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
I am sure, yes. You have the tools. Use them. (And my explanation for this single incident is: The source I tried to remove is crap indeed. Feel free to check it, please) Ankimai (talk) 22:59, 9 June 2011 (UTC)
Poisoning the well is not going to help your case. I've had several complaints about you over the years. You and I both know what you've been up to: hounding editors with both of your accounts to hide the pattern, and using your accounts to avoid scrutiny. I have to run right now, but I will post detailed evidence here soon. Khoikhoi 01:47, 10 June 2011 (UTC)

Two accounts, two different watchlists. No collaboration, no hounding. Ankimai handed over the ancient Iran topics to Konstock because knowledge of German was needed. Ankimai - inadvertently, as in the above case - made a few more edits on articles related to ancient Iran, but never in a tag-teaming way. And that's about it. Since Khoikhoi doesn't come up with evidence - three editors, a couple of difflinks, can't be that laborious -, I would be grateful if you, Dominic, would now delete this whole section. Regards, Ankimai (talk) 16:56, 11 June 2011 (UTC)

One month has gone by. Khoikhoi, who said he would post detailed evidence here soon, has remained silent since then. Looks rather like a case of WP:AOHA now, doesn't it? May I once more ask you, Dominic, to delete this section? Regards, Ankimai (talk) 14:14, 10 July 2011 (UTC)

If you would like to blank this section from my talk page so that it is not archives, I will not stop you. However, I am not sure what the point is, as you freely gave out the information that you now want to remove, and it will remain in the page history. Dominic·t 20:16, 12 July 2011 (UTC)

(un)blocking of Gtroy@enwiktionary[edit]

Hi Dominic, the above user has been blocked on enwiktionary for making legal threads and so on. (According to some admin he's now using sockpuppets) He sent an email to OTRS but the ticket has been moved into Stewards queue . There is nothing for stewards to do here though. Are you able to handle this ticket/talk to the user, or simply close it? So that I can move it back to wiktionary queue. Thank you and have a nice day--Ben.MQ (talk) 04:18, 13 October 2011 (UTC)

Yes, it looks fairly straightforward to me. I can take care of it. :-) Dominic·t 18:48, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
Hi Dominic, I moved it back into sister projects-wiktionary. It is ticket:2011092810017616. Thank you for your help. --Ben.MQ (talk) 07:18, 15 October 2011 (UTC)

NARA photo project and ITESM International Baccalaureate students.[edit]

Hey! My campus's admin is starting to get serious about collaborating with Wikipedia. We have an International Baccalaureate program here which requires students to do community service projects and they want to offer working with WP as an option. I know the NARA photo project needs a lot of work, but I have to admit I know nothing about photo restoration or researching the metadata. However, we could start by working on categorization and putting descriptions into Spanish. Interested?Thelmadatter (talk) 02:35, 30 October 2011 (UTC)

This sounds really cool. There are a couple of things I can think of. Categorizing and translation would both be great tasks (we'll want to find a Commons ambassador, I think.) It would also be nice to start a drive to add the images to articles where they are useful. There is also a lot transcription on Wikisource that can be done. And, of course, writing on Wikipedia (or maybe translation of enwp articles to eswp), if their writing skill is good enough. Dominic·t 18:59, 31 October 2011 (UTC)

the Declaration went GA[edit]

Hey. I don't know if you were following (and I RTVed, so burn this message after reading...would have sent you an email, but can't find your NARA address and not sure if you get it still), but Declaration of Independence went GA in August...quite easily. So much for Malleus's impossible. No credit to me. Article was in great shape already. You had said this was one of your setpoints. Just want you to take credit for it. (I don't want t-shirts...should go to the real article author.) 96.238.184.111 (talk) 19:51, 7 November 2011 (UTC)

Sorry[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Dominic. You have new messages at Pteronura brasiliensis's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.
Talk to me about it. Pteronura brasiliensis 02:29, 11 November 2011 (UTC)

Fine Art Edit-a-Thon & DC Meetup 26![edit]

Fine Art Edit-a-Thon & Meetup - Who should come? You should. Really.
DcArtsLogo.png
FINE ART EDIT-A-THON & DC MEETUP 26 is December 17! The Edit-a-Thon will cover fine art subjects from the Federal Art Project and the meet up will involve Wikipedians from the area as well as Wiki-loving GLAM professionals. You don't have to attend both to attend one (but we hope you do!) Click the link above and sign up & spread the word! See you there! SarahStierch (talk) 15:45, 26 November 2011 (UTC)

Clinton Street - as referenced by Leonard Cohen?[edit]

Hi Dominic,

I saw that you once deleted an article for Clinton Street: [12]

I'm looking for a street mentioned in a Leonard Cohen's song Famous Blue Raincoat:

"New York is cold but I like where I'm living,
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening

Did the deleted article talk about a street renowned for music? I put "Clinton Street, New York" into OpenStreetMap but I got 192 results! :-/ ...a bit too helpful.

If this is the street mentioned by Leonard Cohen, then it might indeed be noteable - but that's for someone else to assert. Gronky (talk) 04:21, 16 December 2011 (UTC)

I don't think the article will be of much use to you, unfortunately. The entire text consisted of "Manhattan's hottest little street on The Lower East Side; AKA "The Best-Kept Secret" for those in the alternative under 40 crowd." Dominic·t 05:02, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
NYTimes? [13] LeadSongDog come howl! 05:10, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
Ok, thanks Dominic, and LeadSongDog. Seems like Cohen's street is a thing of the past. Gronky (talk) 00:27, 17 December 2011 (UTC)

General portraits[edit]

Was wondering if you could help out with these, say as a long term thing (3 per month?). I recently emailed the still pictures division and hope to get relevant images mailed to me on three generals. I was thinking that maybe we could get scans based off the info in the mail or something? I don't think the NARA private vendors will work (not really up to paying hundreds for scans of these images and retrieval) and none are really digitized online. Unfortunate that user:BcNARApix can't help out anymore, but I was hoping we could work something out and make progress on this (if it is possible however). Looking forward to hearing back, you can also shoot me an email at cmahh[at]shaw.ca. Thanks, – Connormah (talk) 16:33, 21 December 2011 (UTC)

Well, I think the hard part here will be locating the photos, not the scanning. Maybe BcNARApix would still be able to help give me some pointers with that, even if he can't digitize stuff for us anymore. Once we have our targets, maybe we can work something out with the Wikimedia DC folks to make sure they get done. I'll try to learn more and get back to you in a few days. Unfortunately, I'll personally be leaving NARA in the middle of January, so any longterm plan will have to be able to work without my supervision. Dominic·t 17:45, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
I sent in an email to the still pictures division for three generals and haven't heard back. Supposedly they are supposed to mail me all the relevant images and ordering info (perhaps the location info as well), but I haven't gotten any replies yet. Thanks for the help though. – Connormah (talk) 20:04, 4 January 2012 (UTC)

October NARA scanathon[edit]

I just uploaded the rest of the scans I had. I have some more photos (including a couple of documents that were not scannable) but those are the only actual scans I had left. I may come to the scanning event today, and probably tomorrow. Carl Lindberg (talk) 17:41, 6 January 2012 (UTC)

hi, 1-6-12-narascan.JPG; 1-7-12-nara-taking-photos.JPG; 1-7-12-nara-scans.JPG Slowking4†@1₭ 04:05, 8 January 2012 (UTC)

Question, is this this category for all the scans? Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 22:13, 10 January 2012 (UTC)

It will be, yes. I should probably move all of our photos of the day to a subcategory, too. I haven't really done much uploading yet, as you can see. We've got a ton of content (30+ GB), and I'm in the process of converting them to JPG to make them more usable first, rather than having them all be not display. I might start large-scale uploads with Commonist in the next couple of days, hopefully. Dominic·t 22:31, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
Alright, keep me informed :-) Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 22:41, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
checking in: i used this category "US National Archives documents digitized by Wikimedians". i have all the ones under 100 uploaded. the overs are getting bounced. Slowking4†@1₭ 03:20, 14 January 2012 (UTC)
Any update? Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 00:54, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
congrats for making the aotus blog above the fold. “Yes We Scan” Slowking4†@1₭ 01:17, 18 January 2012 (UTC)

NARA DOCUMERICA color correction[edit]

Hi Dominic! Color correcting the NARA DOCUMERICA images was recently suggested as a fellowship project. I expect this idea isn't a perfect fit for the WMF fellowship program for a few reasons, one being that it falls under the umbrella of amazing GLAM volunteer work you've already got in progress with NARA. I pointed them towards the NARA restoration page on Commons with a suggestion that they propose these images for color correction there, and this is just a heads up :-) Let me know if you think otherwise? Sbouterse (WMF) (talk) 00:38, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, I have commented on the talk page. :-) Dominic·t 01:10, 1 February 2012 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
Hi Dominic! I just wanted to drop by with this real life barnstar to thank you for attending GLAMcamp and bringing your experience and knowledge to the event. Also, thanks for helping to schedule the NARA tours! See you soon! :) SarahStierch (talk) 00:47, 14 February 2012 (UTC)

If you have the time....[edit]

Hi Dominic, if you're not too busy, is there a possibility that you could check that File:GEN Clay Lucius DuBignon Jr.jpg is an official USAF portrait of Lucius D. Clay, Jr. (and possibly get a new scan sans the autograph and update the citation details)? I'm pretty sure it is, but in the past I've had images nommed for deletion on Commons based on the fact that I'm not sure. My guess would be that it would be in:

Record group: Record Group 342: Records of Airforce Commands, Activities and Organizations (ARC identifier: 654)
Series: Photographs of Air Force Officers and Officials, compiled 1960 - 1981
or
Record group: Record Group 342: Records of Airforce Commands, Activities and Organizations (ARC identifier: 654)
Series: KE: Color Photographs of U.S. Air Force Activities, Facilities, and Personnel, Domestic and Foreign, compiled ca. 1940 - ca. 1980
Thanks in advance. – Connormah (talk) 14:45, 14 February 2012 (UTC)
Just remember that you're no longer at NARA. Is there going to be another Wikipedia in Residence coming to NARA soon that can possibly take a look at this? – Connormah (talk) 06:53, 19 February 2012 (UTC)

You're invited to DC Meetup #28![edit]

DC Meetup #28: March 10 at Capitol City Brewery
Beer Bernard 1.jpg

DC Wikipedia meetup #28 is on Saturday, March 10, 2012, from 7pm on at Capitol City Brewery in downtown DC. (11th & H St NW).

Join us for an evening of socializing, chatting about Wikipedia, discussing Wikimedia DC activities and the latest preparations for Wikimania 2012. (RSVP + details)


Note: You can remove your name from the DC meetup invite list here. -- Message delivered by AudeBot (talk) 03:00, 7 March 2012 (UTC), on behalf of User:Aude

Edit-a-thon[edit]

You have new message/s Hello. You have a new message at GorillaWarfare's talk page.

Thanks for the warm welcome! See you tomorrow.  :D Danielle Geller (talk) 02:25, 27 March 2012 (UTC)

Who is responsible for the WikiWomen's History Month/Simmons College?[edit]

I added an item to the to-do list, but after adding it, realized the event was yesterday. The banner is still showing, though. Someone should turn it off.--SPhilbrick(Talk) 21:21, 28 March 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, I've taken down the notice. It's too bad you didn't come. Please check out Wikipedia:Meetup/New England and save the date, though! We'll begin advertising it soon. Dominic·t 01:51, 30 March 2012 (UTC)

Batch uploads of government media[edit]

I'm interested in doing several batch uploads of image/video files from certain federal government agencies. Could you comment at: User_talk:LoriLee#GLAM?Smallman12q (talk) 23:15, 2 April 2012 (UTC)

...I'd still like a response.Smallman12q (talk) 22:23, 10 April 2012 (UTC)
Sorry about that! I've replied on Lori's talk page. Dominic·t 08:02, 11 April 2012 (UTC)

You're invited to Wiki-Gangs of New York @ NYPL on April 21![edit]

Wiki-Gangs of New York: April 21 at the New York Public Library
New York Public Library Lion May 2011.JPG
Join us for an an civic edit-a-thon, Wikipedia meet-up and instructional workshop that will be held this weekend on Saturday, April 21, at the New York Public Library Main Branch.
  • Venue: Stephen A. Schwarzman Building (NYPL Main Branch), Margaret Liebman Berger Forum (Room 227).
  • Directions: Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street.
  • Time: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. (drop-ins welcome at any time)

The event's goal will be to improve Wikipedia articles and content related to the neighborhoods and history of New York City - No special wiki knowledge is required!

Also, please RSVP!--Pharos (talk) 17:25, 16 April 2012 (UTC)

A barnstar for you[edit]

Real Life Barnstar.jpg The Real Life Barnstar
For your effort in organizing the New England meetup and leaving us all with actionable goals to work towards in the future, Mr. Arch-Vice President, it's my very good honor to award you this Real Life Barnstar. Achowat (talk) 22:26, 22 April 2012 (UTC)

You're invited: Smithsonian Institution Archives Edit-a-thon![edit]

S. Dillon Ripley & Uncle Beazley.jpg Please join us for the second Smithsonian Institution Archives Edit-a-thon! This event will focus on Smithsonian history including the history of the Institution's museums, archives, research centers and the people behind them. This will be a great opportunity to learn about the Archives, work within them & with staff, and learn more about the world's largest museum complex. We hope you'll join us on Friday, May 25. Please sign up here! Sarah (talk) 21:43, 7 May 2012 (UTC)
Note: You received this message because you were listed here. If you no longer wish to receive messages of this nature, please remove yourself from that list.

Boston Wiknic[edit]

Wiknic logo.svg
Great American Wiknic - Boston

The Second Annual Great American Wiknic will be an opportunity for Wikipedians across the Greater Boston area to meet for an afternoon of Food, Fun, and Fellowship. Come hang out with other Wikimedians, learn more about upcoming activities, and just enjoy a day at the park!
Saturday, June 23
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Boston Common
  • Food
  • Fun
  • Fellowship
Please sign up here: Wikipedia:Meetup/Boston/Wiknic/2012!

Delivered by MessageDeliveryBot on behalf of Meetup/Boston at 14:28, 31 May 2012 (UTC).

GLAM-Wiki Baltimore meetup[edit]

Authority Control Integration[edit]

Hi, I've been researching the intersection of Wikipedia and Authority Control, and have just recently made a Village Pump Proposal to create a bot to expand the usage of a template. I've identified you as someone in the sphere of interest to this project and would appreciate your input at the Village Pump. Thanks, Maximiliankleinoclc (talk) 18:34, 18 June 2012 (UTC)

RE: Coordinator sought for the US National Archives WikiProject[edit]

Id be glad to help but not sure what exactly it entails in taking the leadership.(Lihaas (talk) 13:20, 21 June 2012 (UTC)).

I just realized that I never linked this anywhere, but I started working on a more concrete list of tasks on the page's talk page. Of course, I am also hoping that if you have more experience with WikiProject maintenance than me that you might have your own ideas about what to focus on, too. Dominic·t 14:21, 21 June 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia New York City Annual Meeting Sat Jun 30[edit]

Join us at Jefferson Market Library on Saturday starting at 1pm for our annual meeting and elections, details at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC!--Pharos (talk) 17:31, 29 June 2012 (UTC)

NARA Wikisource Dashboard[edit]

Hi Dominic. I was finally giving the NARA dashboard a detailed look. I am really excited about it as a proof of concept. But I was wondering about how it is maintained, or what the plan is for updating it. How are we going to signal to the NARA that something has been validated and can be removed from the dashboard? Or to know what texts are on deck to ne added so we can watchlist them? It does seem to have brought novices to Wikisource, and we have largely failed to support them. Although to be fair, I am not sure many people have been very aware of exactly what pages the NARA was directing people towards. Are you the appropriate contact to work with on the dashboard or else can you direct me to who is maintaining it?--BirgitteSB 02:32, 8 August 2012 (UTC)

You're right that right now it's more of a proof of concept. It's a demonstration of a cultural institution that has already bought into Wikisource (and therefore useful as a model for both communities). For it to be truly productive, and not just a proof of concept, it will need a little more coordination on both sides. For Wikisource's part, we need eyes on the pages being transcribed by the public, so that we can complete the non-newbie tasks of creating index and mainspace pages for them, and doing validation. It would also be a good idea for Wikisource to be sure to welcome, and try to retain, editors that come over from the dashboard. For NARA's part, we need to have a queue in place and be rotating out completed pages swiftly, and a process in place for adding the validated documents to the online catalog. I'm not sure I have the best solution, since we want to do this without adding a lot of overhead for the limited manpower we have. An automated tool might help, I think. If we could collaboratively maintain the queue on Wikisource, a bot could track the changes to the pages so they don't fall through the cracks, and alert us when it's time to make a change. At the very least, even without a bot, if we have a queue on a Wikisource page, we'd be able to use related changes to monitor them.

The dashboard itself is actually maintained by Meredith Stewart, who works in the same office as me, but I work together with her on anything that involves Wikisource or Wikipedia, so I can be Wikisource's contact on any dashboard-related issues. Right now, things are being updated a little haphazardly, but mostly just based on a random set of images that were picked out for having been uploaded in JPG already and being easy enough for beginners (and maybe visually striking, too). From NARA's perspective, I think what we'd really love to see happen is for the Wikisource community to really take ownership of its part in the dashboard, since the better Wikisource can utilize the dashboard to its own ends, the more NARA will benefit as well. Wikisource largely has the freedom to pick whatever documents it would like displayed, too (limited by what has been uploaded so far or can be obtained, of course), and make other changes as it sees fit. NARA might occasionally want to use the dashboard (or send people directly to Wikisource) to promote transcription of a specific collection, but that would only work if there is support on Wikisource's end. Dominic·t 20:03, 8 August 2012 (UTC)

I don't disagree with much said, but I perhaps have a different nuance on it. The first priority in my mind is to have a list of what is on the dashboard right now in sync at Wikisource. I went through and watchlisted all the current items, as soon as realized how people were becoming lost on those pages. But it is very tedious to do this through the dashboard, navigate dashboard, click, accept external site, load large image/editing page, watchlist, back to dashboard and try to remember which ones you already watchlisted. And to think of this being the only way to check if something is still active on the dashboard, well it is just painful. Having these pages on many watchlists to guard for any novices struggling is the most important issue to my mind, and you can see people have struggled a great deal unnoticed. I don't think it is a good idea to have a lot of activity in changing items on the dashboard until we can easily sync it with a list on wiki for watchlisting. I don't want to push people on Wikisource to watch these pages yet when there is not a workable process to support them; it risks burning through people needlessly.
More generally. The visually striking idea is a bit problematic, as they will always require advanced editing. Eventually there should be a few advanced documents on the dashboard. But the posters have not been very successful for people with redlinks, although strangely the worst has been the ordinary looking typewritten pages. Everyone tries to use spaces to indent in the wikitext! I agree about using the dashboard for collections, or connect with other NARA campaigns, I think this is really a good direction for it. I imagine this will turn into a real strength of the dashboard when it is more mature. But not yet.
The one thing I do disagree on, where I think you are missing something, is the opportunity to engage the dashboard community. They are not passive web browsers to be assigned the tasks the current Wikisource community took ownership of picking. They can pick what they will assign themselves to work on next! So I would hate to see Wikisource become accustomed to picking what is on the NARA dashboard and develop a firm process for this in this early stage. Obviously there needs to be some extra structure in the beginning from Wikisource to have it launch well, but frankly this needs to be something that can be easily handed off to the dashboard users who stick. They are the ones who will be truly empowered by taking ownership of the selection process. But this isn't something to worry about yet.
Back to where I started, and this is unfortunately where I of not use whatsoever. We need to have the software on the dashboard produce a list or a feed or something that can automatically be recorded on a central page on Wikisource. A page that can be watchlisted. So anyone can stay on top of changes in exactly where people are being dropped in the deep end of the wiki. A many experienced editors need to take this on their watchlist. Next we need a good way to feed back to NARA that some page needs to be removed from the dashboard, either because it is done or it is too problematic. Eventually this should be automatic, Validated and Problematic, after all, are machine readable states for pages on Wikisource. But again I am useless developing magical software solutions. Then we need to really focus on the people showing up through, and what works to help them feel successful. Then worry about a software queue solution, then worry about selection process for filling the queue. So the thing we disagree on is very far away!
Is Meredith a software person? Either way, do you know a Mediawiki dev with GLAM interest that can work with her or on their own to solve some of the priority roadblocks I outlined. Wikisource has always been very thin with develop sorts. Looking to us for software solutions will mean redirecting people who are currently working on projects immediately beneficial to Wikisources in all languages to work on a proof of concept for one small corner of en.WS. I don't know if they could be convinced, nor if I would want them to be. I don't mind making the pleas, however, if you can give me some leads on who to approach and the basic information on the NARA dashboard platform which I can parrot.--BirgitteSB 01:56, 10 August 2012 (UTC)

File:1980 plebiscite ballot.jpg listed for deletion[edit]

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:1980 plebiscite ballot.jpg, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. Bulwersator (talk) 10:30, 18 August 2012 (UTC)

Image citation[edit]

Hi Dominic,

Really interesting idea! I have been wondering about this myself recently with illuminated MS images; it's helpful to include a note of what MS, region, approximate date, etc, but this can really clutter a caption.

One use case you haven't mentioned here is fair use images; it'd be useful to have a clear indiciation, which this footnote makes possible, that the image is not free, is copyrighted by X, and so forth.

The way it's currently displayed is a bit confusing, though - perhaps if you moved it to the end of the caption, and rendered it as, say, [details]? This might conflict with footnotes, but on the other hand it would make it clearer that it is a footnote-like link - further information about the subject of the article.

I would also make sure that the local source (ie Commons) is linked from the footnote. Omitting this is likely to divert reusers from our local copy, which has full metadata and free licensing information, to an external repository; in many cases, particularly outside the US, the repository will have greater restrictions than Commons. Andrew Gray (talk) 22:10, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for your input. Regarding links to Commons, I agree, and had already implemented a parameter in the template for linking to Commons, but had apparently forgotten to include them in the sample. Now rectified.
Your other two points are stylistic considerations which I wouldn't be very picky about either way. I'm a little wary of including copyright information because that is not normally considered part of a bibliographic citation. However, I can envision putting little CC or PD markers next to the like how {{open access}} functions. I thought a lot about the placement of the footnote, but I decided to put it where I did because of the potential for ambiguity when there is a footnote for the caption text (and I had already put one such dummy footnote in the sample, since the original text had no footnotes in the captions, to show what it looks like). So, I'm not sure your suggestion is my top choice, but that issue is one of the reasons I was looking for additional opinions.
Additionally, if you like the concept (however it ends up being styled), suggestions for how best to put it to the community would be nice. I don't think we need a policy, but I'd like to avoid surprising anyone and causing controversy. I think I'll demo this at GLAMcamp and ask for feedback there, too. Dominic·t 00:16, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
Honestly I think its a great idea. There are a lot about the image library's on Wikipedia I still don't understand (or in some cases agree with) but giving fair attribution for images IMO is a completely valid point. I would also agree that it could or should be limited to those images that are historical in nature such as like the Library of Congress. I don't really think it would cause a lot of advertisement but I'm not sure if there is a lot of need to have users giving attribution on their userpage for images of them and their activities, pets, etc. I think also it probably wouldn't be needed on templates or the like either so just limiting it to Main article space would be fine. I would suggest running it be a couple other folks if you haven't yet. I would suggest: User:The Rambling Man and User:Moonriddengirl for starters. TRM deals a lot with featured content which would be affected by this and would be able to give you some good information about things from that aspect and MRG deals a lot with Copyright problems and would be a good person to ask about that aspect of things. She's also on the Wikistaff so she would be able to enlighten you to things from that angle as well. I hope this helps. Kumioko (talk) 00:47, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
Copying my reply from my talk page; no sense fragmenting the discussion! :I'm not a huge fan of using footnotes there – I'd rather just cite it in the caption. Then again, I'm biased towards the Chicago Manual of Style, and it's not like Wikipedia follows one of the three major guides. ;-) Chicago provides guidance on this sort of scenario in 3.28 and 3.34, but admittedly this is design for print, not a system of clickable thumbnails.
As you're probably aware, the practice of citing images is widely – universally might be a better word – used in academic writing. Typically these come in captions or in lists either after the table of contents or at the end of the article/book. I don't see a reason that we shouldn't do this; while past practice says "it is assumed that this is not necessary to fulfill attribution requirements of the GFDL or Creative Commons licenses as long as the appropriate credit is on the image description page", I don't think this has been seriously reconsidered since being was written. I don't think you'll have many issues in implementing these sorts of citations, but I don't think you'll find support for the mandatory addition of these to articles; my bet would be on something similar to the current state of alt text, where it's possible and sometimes encouraged, but not required. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 02:07, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
You're right about Chicago recommending citations in the caption, but I was wary of doing that in an example because it's not really Wikipedia's preferred practice to use citations that aren't in the form of footnotes (or, rarely, parentheticals) anywhere in the article text. That seems more different from Wikipedia's standard practices than what I had mocked-up. I'm rather agnostic when it comes to citation style, though. I imagine the main debate is over whether to have such citations at all, and then if we do, editors will be permitted to use any of the several styles noted at WP:CITE. I did consult style manuals about how best to represent archival materials, but there is not much guidance on that (see Chicago 14.232). I agree that, while the letter of WP:CREDITS seems to reject image citations, it hasn't been touched in a while and seems to be more about preventing clutter and self-promotion than bibliographic metadata. I was thinking that might be a good place to start, perhaps by proposing a conservative statement that such citations of historical images are permissible (certainly not mandatory) be added. Dominic·t 18:55, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
Yeah, but [Image 1] or anything like that isn't common either. ;-) I got bored and redid South American dreadnought race with caption citations; I think it works relatively well. There's a bit of a problem with the thin image, but the really awkward one is under the Brazilian naval revolt section... it's nearly five lines long on my screen, thanks to the chapter and editors. I also don't have full bibliographic data for the images, but this showed me that if you want that, it'll have to be via your method. That would simply overwhelm the captions. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 05:59, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
By the way, if you want to look into this at GlamCamp, make sure to stick it on the plan... ;-) Andrew Gray (talk) 12:36, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

You're invited: Ada Lovelace, STEM women edit-a-thon at Harvard[edit]

U.S. Ada Lovelace Day 2012 edit-a-thon, Harvard University - You are invited!
Ada Lovelace color.svg
Now in its fourth year, Ada Lovelace Day is an international celebration of women in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM), and related fields. Participants from around New England are invited to gather together at Harvard Law School to edit and create Wikipedia entries on women who have made significant contributions to the STEM fields.
Register to attend or sign up to participate remotely - visit this page to do either.
00:16, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

Collapse RfA section[edit]

Would you be OK with collapsing our discussion on my RfA? I do want people to read it, but it has become somewhat long. Gigs (talk) 14:22, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

I would prefer not to, because I think it's an important point. I realized we could probably go on forever since you didn't seem convinced, and I didn't want it to overload the page. As it is now, though, I don't think it's actually so lengthy that it is causing a problem, since most RfAs can have over a dozen questions and hundreds of opinions. Dominic·t 14:42, 17 October 2012 (UTC)
OK with me. Gigs (talk) 16:23, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

What DID the Wright Brothers use?[edit]

In relation to claim made here :- https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Belfort_Instrument_Company&oldid=519462447

Would it be possible for you to check with the National Air and Space Museum's collections as to what equipment was actually used by the Wright Brothers?

Sfan00 IMG (talk) 21:46, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia Goes to the Movies in NYC this Saturday Dec 1[edit]

You are invited to Wikipedia Goes to the Movies in NYC, an editathon, Wikipedia meet-up and workshops focused on film and the performing arts that will be held on Saturday, December 1, 2012, at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts (at Lincoln Center), as part of the Wikipedia Loves Libraries events being held across the USA.

All are welcome, sign up on the wiki and at meetup.com!--Pharos (talk) 07:04, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

DC Meetup #33[edit]

December 10 is Ada Lovelace's birthday! Not only was she the world's first computer programmer, but also the world's first female open source developer! Come celebrate with Wikimedia District of Columbia at Busboys & Poets for an informal get together!

The Washington, DC event will be held on Monday, December 10, 2012 at Busboys & Poets on 5th St NW & K St NW near Mt Vernon Square. The area is easily accessible by the Red Line Chinatown stop and the Yellow Line and Green Line Mt Vernon Square stop, as well as by WMATA buses.

Kirill [talk] 14:08, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

Invite to Topeka Wikipedia Day Event Jan 15 2013[edit]

Invite to Topeka Wikipedia Day Event Jan 15 2013 Because you are editing wikipedia about Topeka, I would like to invite you to Wikipedia:Meetup/Topeka/Wikipedia_Day at the Library at 6:30 PM please can you also print the poster and distribute it?

Wikipedia Day 2013 Topeka.png PDF Version

thanks, mike

James Michael DuPont (talk) 19:12, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

'Tis that season again...[edit]

Snow Scene at Shipka Pass 1.JPG Happy Holidays!
Hope you and your family are enjoying the holiday season, Dominic! Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 06:13, 25 December 2012 (UTC)

Dinosaur[edit]

Your spoken article of dinosaur is excelent. Thanks.--78.160.2.135 (talk) 22:02, 13 January 2013 (UTC)

Question[edit]

Don't you wish we had an extra day in between Saturday and Sunday? 216.239.55.122 (talk) 03:20, 10 February 2013 (UTC)

You're invited! Women's History Month Edit-a-Thon at the University of Oregon[edit]

Saturday, March 9 - Women's History Month Edit-a-Thon at the University of Oregon - You are invited!
We Can Edit.jpg
Come celebrate Women's History Month at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon, on March 9! This event, facilitated by WikiWoman Sarah Stierch, is hosted by the Fembot, in collaboration with ASOU Women's Center, the Center for the Study of Women in Society, the School of Journalism and Communication, and the UO Libraries.

Please bring your laptop and be prepared to edit about women and women's history!

The event is March 9, from 1-4 PM, at the University of Oregon Library.

You must RSVP here - see you there! SarahStierch (talk) 20:17, 16 February 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, March 9![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Guapo's at Tenleytown-AU on Saturday, March 9 at 5 PM All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see Wikipedia:Meetup/DC 35. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 13:54, 4 March 2013 (UTC)

You are invited to a Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon on Friday, March 29[edit]

In honor of Women's History Month, the Smithsonian and the National Museum of Women in the Arts are teaming up to organize a Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon on Friday, March 29, 2013 from 10:00am - 5:00pm. The event is focused on encouraging women editors while improving Wikipedia entries about women artists and art world figures. This event is free of charge, but participation is limited to 20 volunteers, so RSVP today! Sarasays (talk) 23:09, 20 March 2013 (UTC)

Thank you for participating in the Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon 2013[edit]

Archives-of-american-art-barnstar.png Archives of American Art Barnstar
It was great to have your participation on Friday--so glad you could come! For your contribution in making the Women in the Arts Meetup & Edit-a-thon 2013 such a success, I award you the Archives of American Art Barnstar. -Sarasays (talk) 20:09, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

GLAM activities in the USA in March 2013[edit]

Hello Dominic, You have written before for the newsletter This Month in GLAM. I see the USA is missing regarding the edition about March 2013, do you perhaps have any idea what GLAM activities were done in the USA in March? Can you perhaps write about those? Or do you know who I can ask to write about it? Thanks! (Deadline of the March edition is Monday 8 April.) You can start writing via the page outreach:GLAM/Newsletter/Newsroom. If you wish to be informed by e-mail next time, please write me at this page. You can reach me the best at nl-wiki talk page. Greetings - Romaine (talk) 02:23, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Checking up[edit]

Hey Dominic, just checking up with you again on the generals photos. Honestly I'm not overly optimistic but I'd appreciate it if you could let me know when (and if) there's any chance that we can get the scans uploaded of the images with accession numbers I provided you a while back. I'll probably come in myself sometime over the next few years (hopefully) but it would be nice if we could some done here to levy my prospective workload. I've exhausted all e-mail routes in trying to get these portraits so it seems that coming to NARA is my only option. – Connormah (talk) 03:54, 12 April 2013 (UTC)

User:Kingdon no longer in DC area[edit]

Hi, not sure where you got your invite list for the All Things GW Editathon, but I've been living in California for over a year now and have updated Wikipedia:Meetup/DC/Invite/List and other places I can find to not invite me to DC events. Hope this helps. Kingdon (talk) 07:50, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

Ah, I am sorry about that. I must have been using an old list. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Dominic·t 08:02, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

DC meetups on April 19 and 20[edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for two exciting events this weekend:

On the evening of Friday, April 19, we're hosting our first-ever WikiSalon at our K Street office. The WikiSalon will be a twice-monthly informal meetup and collaborative editing event to help build the community of Wikimedia enthusiasts here in DC; please join us for its inaugural session. Light refreshments will be provided.

On Saturday, April 20, we've partnered with the George Washington University to host the All Things GW Edit-a-Thon at the Teamsters Labor History Research Center. Please join us for behind-the-scenes tours of the University Archives and help edit articles about GWU history.

We look forward to seeing you at one or both of these events! Kirill [talk] 20:03, 15 April 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, May 11![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, May 11 at 5:30 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 23:03, 7 May 2013 (UTC)

DC WikiSalon on May 24[edit]

Wikimedia DC invites you to join us for our next DC WikiSalon, which will be held on the evening of May 24 at our K Street office.

The WikiSalon an informal gathering of Wikimedia enthusiasts, who come together to discuss the Wikimedia projects and collaboratively edit. There's no set agenda, and guests are welcome to recommend articles for the group to edit or edit on their own. Light refreshments will be provided.

We look forward to seeing you there! Kirill [talk] 18:18, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

Webinar / edit-a-thon at the National Library of Medicine (NLM)[edit]

Join us at the NLM next week, either in person or online, to learn about NLM resources, hear some great speakers, and do some editing!

organized by Wiki Project Med

On Tuesday, 28 May there will be a community Wikipedia meeting at the United States National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland - with a second on Thursday, 30 May for those who can't make it on Tuesday. You can participate either in-person, or via an online webinar. If you attend in person, USB sticks (but not external drives) are ok to use.

Please go to the event page to get more information, including a detailed program schedule.

If you are interested in participating, please register by sending an email to pmhmeet@gmail.com. Please indicate if you are coming in person or if you will be joining us via the webinar. After registering, you will receive additional information about how to get to our campus (if coming in-person) and details about how to join the webinar. Klortho (talk) 00:43, 25 May 2013 (UTC)

Have time on Saturday?[edit]

I'm sorry for the last-minute notice, but on Saturday, June 8, from 3 to 6 PM, Wikimedia DC and the Cato Institute are hosting a Legislative Data Meetup. We will discuss the work done so far by WikiProject U.S. Federal Government Legislative Data to put data from Congress onto Wikipedia, as well as what more needs to be done. If you have ideas you'd like to contribute, or if you're just curious and feel like meeting up with other Wikipedians, you are welcome to come! Be sure to RSVP here if you're interested.

I hope to see you there!

(You can unsubscribe from future notifications for D.C.-area events by removing your name from this list.)

Harej (talk) 04:06, 6 June 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, June 15![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, June 15 at 5:30 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 19:37, 10 June 2013 (UTC)

Smithsonian event[edit]

Added already... (for future reference, if it's short notice, feel free to ping me as soon as you list it - I'm not around as much as usual at the moment) Andrew Gray (talk) 17:18, 19 June 2013 (UTC)

DC meetup & dinner on Saturday, July 13![edit]

Please join Wikimedia DC for a social meetup and dinner at Vapiano (near Farragut North/Farragut West) on Saturday, July 13 at 6:00 PM. All Wikipedia/Wikimedia and free knowledge/culture enthusiasts, regardless of editing experience, are welcome to attend! All ages welcome!

For more information and to sign up, please see the meetup page. Hope to see you there! Kirill [talk] 00:11, 6 July 2013 (UTC)

2nd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting[edit]

You are invited to the 2nd Annual Wikimedia New England General Meeting, on 20 July 2013 in Boston! We will be talking about the future of the chapter, including GLAM, Wiki Loves Monuments, and where we want to take our chapter in the future! EdwardsBot (talk) 10:05, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for August 18[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Sue Falsone, you added links pointing to the disambiguation pages Buffalo and Mark Ellis (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:01, 18 August 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for August 25[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Sue Falsone, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Jerry Hairston (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:05, 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Wiki Loves Libraries 2013[edit]

Portland Art Museum Mark Building - Oregon.JPG WIKI LOVES LIBRARIES 2013!
You're invited to attend the upcoming "Wiki Loves Libraries" edit-athon. The event will be held from 1–4pm on Sunday, October 13, 2013 at the Portland Art Museum's Crumpacker Family Library, located on the second floor of the Museum's Mark Building (formerly the Masonic Temple).
The edit-athon will focus on the local arts community (but you can work on other topics as well!). It will also kick off the Oregon Arts Project, an on-wiki initiative to improve coverage of the arts in Oregon. Details and signup here!

FYI. Wish you could be here, Dominic! Feel free to forward to any Portland people who might be interested. --Another Believer (Talk) 15:46, 11 September 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia NYC Meetup! Saturday October 5[edit]

Jefferson Market Public Library
Please join the Wikimedia NYC Meetup on October 5, 2013!
Everyone gather at Jefferson Market Library to further Wikipedia's local outreach
for education, museums, libraries and planning WikiConference USA.
--Pharos (talk) 22:02, 1 October 2013 (UTC)