Wabasha County, Minnesota
|Wabasha County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||October 27, 1849 |
|Named for||Three successive chiefs of Mississippi bands of Dakota Indians.|
|Largest city||Lake City|
549.83 sq mi (1,424 km²)
525.01 sq mi (1,360 km²)
24.82 sq mi (64 km²), 4.51%
41/sq mi (16/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Wabasha County is part of the Rochester, MN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 549.83 square miles (1,424.1 km2), of which 525.01 square miles (1,359.8 km2) (or 95.49%) is land and 24.82 square miles (64.3 km2) (or 4.51%) is water.
- These lakes are located within the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- Cross Lake
- Half Moon Lake
- Maloney Lake
- McCarthy Lake
- Peterson Lake
- Robinson Lake
- Pepin County, Wisconsin (northeast)
- Buffalo County, Wisconsin (east)
- Winona County (southeast)
- Olmsted County (south)
- Goodhue County (west, northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,610 people, 8,277 households, and 5,876 families residing in the county. The population density was 41 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 9,066 housing units at an average density of 17 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.97% White, 0.25% Black or African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.43% Asian, 0.62% from other races, and 0.45% from two or more races. 1.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 53.3% were of German, 11.1% Norwegian, 7.3% Irish and 5.0% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 8,277 households out of which 33.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.80% were married couples living together, 6.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.00% were non-families. 24.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.10% under the age of 18, 7.20% from 18 to 24, 27.00% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 15.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 100.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $42,117, and the median income for a family was $50,480. Males had a median income of $33,053 versus $24,316 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,664. About 4.10% of families and 6.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.00% of those under age 18 and 9.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Wabasha County, Minnesota
- Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- "Minnesota Government Series, State Counties". Minnesota House of Representatives. Retrieved 2008-03-18..
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Wabasha-Kellogg (Minnesota) Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Wabasha County government's website
- Wabasha County Health and Demographic Data
||Goodhue County||Pepin County, Wisconsin|
|Goodhue County||Buffalo County, Wisconsin|
|Olmsted County||Winona County|