XLRI- Xavier School of Management
|Motto||For The Greater Good|
|Type||Private business school|
|Chairman||H M Nerurkar|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, 40 acres|
|Director||Fr E. Abraham.|
XLRI - Xavier School of Management is a leading management school based in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. Established in 1949 as the Xavier Labor Relations Institute, XLRI is acknowledged as India's oldest business management school. The Jesuit managed school's main programs include a full-time 2-year post graduate program in Business Management, Personnel Management & Industrial Relations (re-christened as Human Resources Management in 2011) and Global MBA, 15 months full-time General Management program (GMP), doctoral fellow programs (FPM) and many executive education programs.
- 1 Administration
- 2 Rankings
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Student activities
- 5 Notable Alumni
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The Director is Father E. Abraham, the Dean of Academics is Dr. Pranabesh Ray, Associate Dean (Student Affairs) is Fr. James Santhanam and Fr. S.George, S.J is the Dean of Administration. The chairman of the board of Governors is Mr H M Nerurkar the managing director of Tata Steel. The other members of the board include Vineet Nayar (Vice-Chairman & Joint managing director, HCL Technologies Ltd), Preetha Reddy (managing director, Apollo Hospitals) and AP Singh, IAS(Secretary, Department of Industries, GOJ, Ranchi). Former members of the XLRI board of governors include Ranjit Pandit (Chairman of McKinsey & Company).
|Business – India|
XLRI features consistently among the top 5 business schools of the country. In 2012 XLRI was ranked No. 4 among top 75 B-schools in India across Private and Government sector by Outlook India. Among other rankings, it was ranked #5 by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18' s Top B-Schools in India,#4 by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2012,#3 by Business World B Schools Unplugged.The PMIR (Personnel Management & Industrial Relations) programme has been consistently acknowledged as the best 'HR Course' in Asia-Pacific. The school has also been recognised for its research acumen by the London Business School and ranked among top 5 research schools in India cutting across management and technical institutes.
Flagship programs offered:
Full-time residential MBA-
- General Management Programme (GMP) - 15 months
- Business Management (BM) - 2 years
- Human Resource Management (HRM) - 2 years
- Global MBA - 2 years
The research program-
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) - 4 years
Executive programs offered:
- Executive Fellow Programme in Management (Exec-FPM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programmes (Exec-PGP) in India, Dubai and Singapore - 3 years
- Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
- Post Graduate Certification in Agri-Business Management (PGCABM) - 6 months (Ikisan Ltd and XLRI - Joint management Program)
- Post Graduate Certification in Business Management (PGCBM) - 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PGCLSCM) - 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM)- 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Retail Management (PGCRM)- 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Sales & Marketing Management (PGCSMM)- 12 moths
- Executive Diploma Programme in Human Resource Management - 12 months
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) in Singapore
- General Management Programme for Defence Personnel
- Management Development Programmes
- International Student Exchange Programme
Admission to the flagship programs is through XLRI's entrance test - XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)and GMAT. After applying for XAT, the candidates have to individually apply to other member colleges which use XAT scores for their respective admissions. XLRI received more than 100000 applications in the year 2009. XLRI has 180 seats each in its two-year flagship programs - Business Management & Human Resource Management (erstwhile PMIR), 20 seats in two-year Global MBA; and 180 seats in the one-year General Management Program (popularly known as GMP).
Human Resource Management
The Institute offers a two-year full-time Programme in Human Resource Management (known as "Personnel Management and Industrial Relations") on the completion of which, students are conferred with PGDHRM. The program is the oldest of the institute's teaching programs.
Business Management Programme
XLRI offers a two-year full-time programme on Business Management, started in 1968, on the completion which, candidates are conferred with Postgraduate diploma in Business Management (PGDBM).
Global MBA Programme
XLRI launched its Global MBA Programme in partnership with Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western University, Cleveland, USA, and School of Economics and Management of Tongji University, Shanghai, China, on January 12, 2013. The full-time two-year residential global MBA programme commenced from August, 2013.
General Management Programme
GMP is a 15-months full-time residential program.
The programme consists of core and optional courses designed for fast track executives with work experience. The core courses are categorised into seven major areas, Finance and Accounts, Marketing, Production and Operation, Information Systems, Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, Economics, and Strategy. Completion of the core courses makes the way for the elective courses, chosen by the participants, helping them to further their areas of interest. GMP has been ranked No. 4 by Outlook India in 2012.
Fellow Programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) is a Doctoral level (PhD) programme. The FPM is a full-time, residential, doctoral programme that trains prospective scholars to become researchers and teachers in various aspects of management. Fellow students are awarded a fellowship of Rs. 20,000 per month during the 1st and 2nd year and Rs. 25,000 per month for the next two years.
Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
The Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management, commonly known as PGP-CEM, is a six months full-time classroom contact program. Candidates applying for Entrepreneurship Management programme must hold a minimum of three years Bachelor's Degree from a recognised University in India/abroad in any discipline.
XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.
XLRI Accenture HR Academy
XLRI has around 21 committees on campus which deal with academics, sports, socio-cultural and administrative activities. The Students Affairs Council (SAC) is the parent body responsible for all students related issues and activities.
Ensemble is the annual international management festival of XLRI School of Business and Human Resources in Jamshedpur, India, launched in 2001. Themes of the conference have included "Beyond Conventions" in 2012, "Bridging The Gap" in 2011, and "Towards A Better Tomorrow" in 2010.The meeting is a conference of industry leaders, students from reputed business schools and thinkers from the Indian MBA community. The festival is organised by the students of XLRI.
The end of Ensemble is usually marked with cultural events including performances from reputed bands of the country. Ensemble 2011 featured Motherjane, an Indian rock band from Kochi, and the original Bodhi Tree band.
- B. Muthuraman, Vice-Chairman, Tata Steel Ltd
- Krishnakumar Natarajan, CEO of MindTree
- Leena Nair, Global Senior Vice-President (Leadership & Organisation Development), Unilever plc
- Rakesh Kapoor, chief executive of Reckitt Benckiser plc
- Vineet Nayar, Vice-Chairman & Joint managing director, HCL Technologies Ltd
- Naveen Jain, Founder of inome and Moon Express
- Rekha M. Menon, Managing Director for Geographic Operations for ASEAN, India & APAC Delivery Centers at Accenture
- Arun Maira, Former partner at Boston Consulting Group
- [dead link]
- Members of XLRI Board of Governors[dead link]
- "India's Top 50 B-Schools". Hindustan Times.
- "CNBC India, MBA Rankings".
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "PaGaLGuY B-school Rankings 2011". PaGaLGuY.com. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "BEST B-SCHOOLS OUTLOOK-MDRA SURVEY".
- "MBA Rankings, Top B schools in India".
- "The 50 Best Business Schools".
- "India's best bschool survey 2012".
- Xlri Xat Test. Xlri.net.in.
- Admissions - Mandatory disclosure by XLRI[dead link]
- "Entrepreneurship administration".
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy. Careers3.accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy launch press release. Accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- "Events - XLRI".
- "XLRI Ensemble concludes with India's top B-schools winning honors".
- "Ensemble @ XLRI".
- "Ensemble 2011-12 kickstarts at XLRI".
- "XLRI, school of business and human resources to kick start its activities for the Annual Fest - Ensemble 2009".
- "XLRI Ensemble: Growing in style and substance".
- "India's top B-schools wins at XLRI Ensemble".
- "MDI, NITIE, IIM-S win prizes at XLRI's Ensemble 2010".
- "Executive Profile: Rakesh Kapoor". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- XLRI Jamshedpur alumnus, Varun Alagh, featured as a Young Achiever
- XLRI - XLRI homepage
- Ensemble Homepage