1916 New Year Honours
The New Year Honours 1916 were appointments by King George V to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by members of the British Empire. They were announced on 1 January 1916.
A number of the honours were gazetted as being in recognition of the services of officers during the War. These are noted with a # below.
- 1 Order of the Garter
- 2 Order of the Bath
- 3 Order of Merit
- 4 Order of the Star of India
- 5 Order of Saint Michael and Saint George
- 6 Order of the Indian Empire
- 7 Royal Victorian Order
- 8 References
- The Right Honourable George Nathaniel, Earl Curzon of Kedleston, G.C.S.I., G.C.I.E.
- Right Honourable Sir Victor Christian William, Duke of Devonshire, G.C.V.O.
Knight Grand Cross (GCB)
- Civil Division
Knight Commander (KCB)
- Military Division
- Vice-Admiral Edward Eden Bradford, C.V.O. #
- Vice-Admiral Herbert Goodenough King-Hall, C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O. #
- Acting Vice-Admiral Charles Edward Madden, C.V.O. #
- Rear-Admiral Rosslyn Erskine Wemyss, C.M.G., M.V.O. #
- Acting Vice-Admiral The Honourable Somerset Arthur Gough-Calthorpe, C.B. #
- Acting Vice-Admiral John Michael de Robeck. #
- Rear-Admiral Dudley Rawson Stratford De Chair, C.B., M.V.O. #
- Acting Vice-Admiral Henry Francis Oliver, C.B., M.V.O. #
- Vice-Admiral Reginald Hugh Spencer Bacon, C.V.O., D.S.O., retired. #
- Temporary Major-General Archibald Paris, C.B., R.M.A. #
- Lieutenant-General Sir Percy Henry Noel Lake, K.C.M.G., C.B., Colonel, The East Lancashire Regiment, Chief of the General Staff, India.
- Major-General Arthur Phayre, C.B., Indian Army, Commanding Secunderabad Division.
- Major-General Fenton John Aylmer, V.C., C.B., Adjutant-General in India.
- Civil Division
- Colonel Henry Capel Lofftt Holden, C.B., Assistant Director of Supplies and Transport, War Office.
- Ernley Robertson Hay Blackwell, Esq., C.B., Assistant Under Secretary, Home Office.
- Lionel Earle, Esq., C.B., C.M.G., Secretary, H.M. Office of Works.
- Noel Thomas Kershaw, Esq., C.B., Assistant Secretary, Local Government Board.
- Frederick Francis Liddell, Esq., C.B., Second Parliamentary Counsel, The Treasury.
- Military Division
- Rear-Admiral Stuart Nicholson, M.V.O. #
- Captain Herbert Arthur Stevenson Fyler, R.N. #
- Captain George Price Webley Hope, R.N. #
- Commodore Algernon Walker Heneage, M.V.O., R.N. #
- Captain the Honourable Algernon Douglas Edward Harry Boyle, M.V.O., R.N. #
- Captain Hughes Campbell Lockyer, R.N. #
- Captain Lionel George Preston, R.N. #
- Engineer Captain William Whittingham, R.N. #
- Engineer Captain Henry Humphreys, R.N. #
- Engineer Commander George Edward Andrew, R.N. #
- Fleet Surgeon Arthur Gaskell, R.N. #
- Fleet Paymaster Hamnet Holditch Share, R.N. #
- Captain Charles Alfred Bartlett, R.N.R., R.D. #
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) John MacNeill Walter, D.S.O., Deputy Adjutant-General, Headquarters, India.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Francis John Fowler, D.S.O., Indian Army, Commanding Derajat Brigade.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Alexander Henry Eustace, D.S.O., Indian Army, Commanding Kohat Brigade.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Wyndham Charles Knight, D.S.O., A.D.C., Indian Army, Commanding Bombay Brigade.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Frederick Hopewell Peterson, D.S.O., Indian Army, Commanding Jhelum Brigade.
- Colonel Francis Herbert Sullivan Thomas, Indian Army.
- Colonel Arthur William Cripps, Indian Army, Assistant Director of Supplies and Transport, Lahore Division.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Charles Edward Hendley, Indian Army.
- Colonel Edward Hearle Cole, Indian Army.
- Brevet Colonel William Westropp White, Indian Medical Service.
- Civil Division
- Rear-Admiral Arthur William Waymouth. #
- Rear-Admiral Morgan Singer. #
- Captain Laurence Eliot Power, M.V.O., R.N. #
- Captain Clement Greatorex, M.V.O., R.N. #
- Lieutenant-Colonel Herbert Edward Blumberg, R.M.L.I. #
- Engineer Rear-Admiral William Henry Riley. #
- Surgeon-General William Henry Norman, R.N. #
- Temporary Surgeon-General Humphrey Daw Rolleston, M.D., F.R.C.P., R.N. #
- Honorary Captain Sir Richard Henry Williams-Bulkeley, Bart., R.N.R. #
- Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Orby Shipley, Commanding 3rd Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Henry Launcelot Errington, Commanding Inns of Court Officers Training Corps.
- Honorary Brigadier-General Horatio Reginald Mends (Retired Pay), Secretary, West Riding of York Territorial Force Association.
- Major-General John Wallace Carson, Canadian Local Forces. #
- Honorary Brigadier-General Frank Robert Crofton Carleton (Retired Pay), Director of Organisation, War Office. #
- Colonel Willoughby Garnons Gwatkin, Canadian Local Forces. #
- Colonel Charles Philip Martel, Superintendent, Royal Gun and Carriage Factories, Royal Arsenal. #
- Lieutenant-Colonel (temporary Colonel) Lionel Charles Gostling Tufnell, Officer in Charge of Records and Commanding Army Ordnance Corps. #
- Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Edward Phipps, Royal Garrison Artillery Inspection Staff, Royal Arsenal. #
- Montagu Sherard Dawes Butler, Esq., lately Joint Secretary on the Indian Public Services Commission.
- Albert Gray, Esq., K.C., Counsel to the Chairman of Committees, House of Lords.
- Sidney West Harris, Esq., Assistant Secretary, Home Office.
- George Macdonald, Esq., Assistant Secretary, Scotch Education Department.
- Henry Gascoyen Maurice, Esq., Assistant Secretary, Board of Agriculture and Fisheries.
- Walter Frederick Nicholson, Esq., Clerk, The Admiralty.
- Garnham Roper, Esq., Assistant Board of Trade.
- Robert Fitzwilliam Starkie, Esq., Magistrate, Ireland.
- Percy Thompson, Esq., Secretary to the Board of Inland Revenue.
- John Anthony Cecil Tilley, Esq., Chief Clerk, Foreign Office.
- Justin Theodore La Brooy, Esq., Civil Assistant to the Chief Superintendent, Royal Ordnance Factories. #
- Arthur William James MacFadden, Esq., M.B., Chief Inspector of Foods, Local Government Board. #
- Henry James, Esq.
Knight Grand Commander (GCSI)
- His Excellency General Sir Beauchamp Duff, G.C.B., K.C.S.I., K.C.V.O., C.I.E., A.D.C. General, Commander-in-Chief of His Majesty's Forces in India.
Knight Commander (KCSI)
- Sir Steyning William Edgerley, K.C.V.O., C.I.E., Member of the Council of India.
- Harrington Verney Lovett, Esq., C.S.I., Indian Civil Service, Commissioner of the Lucknow Division, United Provinces, and a Member of the Council of the Lieutenant-Governor for making Laws and Regulations.
- Robert Woodburn Gillan, Esq., C.S.I., Indian Civil Service, President of the Railway Board.
- Maharaj Sri Bhairon Singh Bahadur, C.S.I., Vice-President and Political Member of the State Council, Bikaner, Rajputana.
- Henry Sharp, Esq., C.I.E., Indian Educational Service, Officiating Secretary to the Government of India in the Education Department, and an Additional Member of the Council of the Governor-General for making Laws and Regulations.
- Ludovic Charles Porter, Esq., C.I.E., Indian Civil Service, lately Secretary to the Government of India in the Education Department.
- Robert Russell Scott, Esq., Principal Clerk, The Admiralty, late Joint Secretary, Indian Public Services Commission.
- Lieutenant-Colonel John Walter Edward, Baron Montagu of Beaulieu, V.D., Commandant, 2/7 Hampshire Regiment. #
Knight Grand Cross (GCMG)
- Lieutenant-General Sir Herbert Scott Gould Miles, G.C.B., C.V.O., Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the City and Garrison of Gibraltar.
- His Highness, Ibrahim, Sultan of the State and Territory of Johore, K.C.M.G. (Honorary)
Knight Commander (KCMG)
- Sir Edward Marsh Merewether, K.C.V.O., C.M.G., Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Colony of Sierra Leone.
- William Lamond Allardyce, Esq., C.M.G., Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Bahama Islands.
- The Honourable William Thomas White, Minister of Finance of the Dominion of Canada.
- The Honourable Thomas Mackenzie, High Commissioner for New Zealand in the United Kingdom.
- The Honourable Sir Charles Kinnaird Mackellar, Knt., Member of the Legislative Council of the State of New South Wales, and lately President of the State Children's Relief Board.
- Collingwood Schreiber, Esq., C.M.G., General Consulting Engineer to the Government of the Dominion of Canada.
- Esme William Howard, Esq., C.V.O., C.M.G., His Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to His Majesty the King of Sweden.
- The Honourable Lancelot Douglas Carnegie, M.V.O., His Majesty's Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Portuguese Republic.
- William Edwin Brunyate, Esq., C.M.G., Legal Counsellor to the Egyptian Government.
- Sheikh Said Ali el Morghani, C.M.G. (Honorary)
- Vice-Admiral Frederic Edward Errington Brock, C.B. #
- Vice-Admiral Sackville Hamilton Carden. #
- Vice-Admiral Sir George Edwin Patey, K.C.V.O. #
- Vice-Admiral Arthur Henry Limpus, C.B. #
- Rear-Admiral Cecil Fiennes Thursby, C.M.G. #
- Surgeon-General Sir James Porter, R.N., LL.D., M.D., K.C.B., Honorary Physician to the King. #
- Temporary Surgeon-General Sir William Watson Cheyne, Bart., R.N., M.B., C.B., Honorary Surgeon-in-Ordinary to the King. #
- Thomas Alexander Vans Best, Esq., Colonial Secretary of the Leeward Islands.
- Thomas Inglis Binnie, Esq., Director of Public Works, Nyasaland Protectorate.
- James Rufus Boose, Esq., Travelling Commissioner, Royal Colonial Institute.
- William Brymner, Esq., President of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts.
- John Cadman, Esq., D.Sc., Professor of Mining in the University of Birmingham; Petroleum Adviser to the Colonial Office, and Coal Mining Adviser to the Government of Nigeria.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Henry James Grasett, Chief Constable, Toronto.
- The Honourable Victor Albert Nelson Hood, Private Secretary to the Governor of Victoria.
- Surgeon-General Guy Carleton Jones, Director of Medical Services; Canadian Expeditionary Force.
- Brigadier-General James Charles MacDougall, Commanding Canadian Training Division; Canadian Expeditionary Force.
- John Middleton, Esq., M.A., Colonial Secretary of the Colony of Mauritius.
- Charles Frederick Wray Palliser, Esq., Secretary, Office of the High Commissioner for New Zealand.
- Bernard Senior, Esq., I.S.O., Treasurer of the Island of Ceylon.
- Adam Smith, Esq., Unofficial Member of the Legislative Council of the Colony of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Brigadier-General Frederick Hugh Gordon Cunliffe. ("in connection with military operations in the Cameroons.")
- Captain Guy Reginald Archer Gaunt, R.N., Naval Attache to His Majesty's Embassy at Washington.
- Andrew Ryan, Esq., late First Dragoman at His Majesty's Embassy at Constantinople.
- Thomas Harold Lyle, Esq., His Majesty's Consul-General at Bangkok.
- Arthur Hyde Lay, Esq., His Majesty's Consul-General at Seoul.
- Colonel William Hacche Drake, R.A., Adjutant-General for the Soudan.
- Commodore Roger John Brownlow Keyes, C.B., M.V.O., Ad.C. #
- Captain Douglas Lionel Dent, R.N. #
- Commodore Maurice Swynfen Fitzmaurice. #
- Captain Wilfrid Nunn, R.N., D.S.O. #
- Acting Commander Leopold Arthur Bernays, R.N. #
- Temporary Major William Wellington Godfrey, Royal Marine Light Infantry. #
- Major Arthur Edward Bewes, Royal Marine Light Infantry. #
Knight Grand Commander (GCIE)
Knight Commander (KCIE)
- Edward Vere Levinge, Esq., C.S.I., Indian Civil Service, an Ordinary Member of the Council of the Lieutenant-Governor of Bihar and Orissa.
- Major Cecil John Lyons Allanson, Indian Army, lately Military Secretary to His Excellency the Governor of Madras.
- Rao Bahadur Chunilal Hari Lai Setalvad, Second Presidency Magistrate, Bombay.
- John Andrew Turner, Esq., M.D., Executive Health Officer, Bombay Municipality.
- Suresh Prosad Sarbadhikary, Esq., M.D., Calcutta.
- John Norman Taylor, Esq., Public Works Department, Officiating Superintending Engineer, Irrigation Branch, Upper Jhelum Canal, Punjab.
- Khan Bahadur Sardar Din Muhammad Khan, Laghari, late Acting Tumandar of the Laghari tribe in the Dera Ghazi Khan District, Punjab.
- Lionel Linton Tomkins, Esq., Indian Police, Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Criminal Investigation Department, Punjab.
- Douglas Marshall Straight, Esq., Indian Police, Inspector-General of Police, United Provinces, and a Member of the Council of the Lieutenant-Governor for making Laws and Regulations.
- Babu Mot-i Chand, a Member of the Council of the Lieutenant-Governor for making Laws and Regulations.
- Matthew Hunter, Esq., Indian Educational Service, Principal, Rangoon College.
- John Tarlton Whitty, Esq., Indian Civil Service, Magistrate and Collector of Gaya, Bihar and Orissa.
- Moses Mordecai Simeon Gubbay, Esq., Indian Civil Service, Deputy Secretary to the Government of India in the Finance Department, and lately Wheat Commissioner for India.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Augustus Muspratt-Williams, Royal Artillery, Chief Inspector of Explosives with the Government of India.
- Raja Bhagwat Raj Bahadur Singh, of Sohawal, Central India.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Charles MacWatt, Indian Medical Service, Chief Medical Officer, Rajputana, and Civil Surgeon, Ajmer.
- George Paris Dick, Esq., Government Advocate, Central Provinces.
- Horatio Norman Bolton, Esq., Indian Civil Service, Deputy Commissioner, Peshawar District, North-West Frontier Province.
- Major William John Keen, Indian Army, Political Agent, Dir, Swat and Chitral, North-West Frontier Province.
- Major William Magill Kennedy, Indian Army, President of the Assam Labour Board.
- Khan Bahadur Sheikh Makbul Hosain, United Provinces Provincial Service, Revenue Minister in the Kashmir State.
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Cyril Harcourt Roe, Director of Movements and Quarterings, Quartermaster-General's Branch, Army Headquarters, India. #
- Colonel (temporary Brigadier-General) Offley Bohun Stovin Fairless Shore, C.B., D.S.O., Director of Staff Duties and Military Training, Army Headquarters, India. #
- Lieutenant-Colonel George Sim Ogg, Royal Artillery, Superintendent, Gun and Shell Factory, Cossipore. #
- Major Charles Hugh Hodges Nugent, Royal Engineers, Inspector of Machinery, Military Works Services, India. #
- Commander Michael Warren Farewell, Royal Indian Marine, Port Officer and Marine Transport Officer, Karachi. #
- Major John Bertram Cunliffe, Madras Artillery Volunteers. #
- Temporary Captain Evelyn Berkeley Howell, Special List, Censor of Indian Mails with the Indian Expeditionary Force in France. #
Knight Grand Cross (GCVO)
- The Honourable Sir Derek William George Keppel, K.C.V.O., C.M.G., C.I.E., Master of the Household to His Majesty.
Knight Commander (KCVO)
- Richard Maximilian, Baron Acton, M.V.O., late Lord in Waiting to His Majesty.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Sir James Robert Dunlop-Smith, K.C.S.I., C.I.E., Political Aide-de-Camp to the Secretary of State for India.
- Surgeon-General Sir Anthony Alfred Bowlby, K.C.M.G., F.R.C.S., Surgeon in Ordinary to His Majesty.
Member, 4th Class
- John George Griffiths, Esq., Honorary Secretary, King Edward's Hospital Fund for London.
- Staff Surgeon Robert Joseph Willan, R.N.V.R. (Dated 10 November 1915.)
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 1915.