Animal Planet (Canada)
Animal Planet logo
|Launched||September 7, 2001|
|Owned by||Bell Media (64%)
BBC Worldwide (10%)
Discovery Communications (10%)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Sister channel(s)||Discovery Channel
|Website||Animal Planet Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 525 (SD)
Channel 1612 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 553 (SD)|
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 257 (SD)
Channel 509 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 525 (SD)
Channel 1525 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 251 ([SD)
Channel 1251 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9721 (SD)
Channel 721 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 93 (SD)
Channel 393 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 251 (HD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 94 (HD)|
The channel is owned by Animal Planet Canada Company, which is a consortium consisting of CTV Speciality Television Inc. which owns 80% of the company (CTV Speciality Television Inc. is a division of Bell Media who owns 80% and ESPN owning 20%), and Canadian AP Ventures Company who owns 20% (Canadian AP Ventures Company is owned by BBC Worldwide at 50% and Discovery Communications at 50%). Through this ownership structure, this effectively gives Bell Media 64% ownership and control, with ESPN 16%, BBC Worldwide 10%, and Discovery Communications 10% ownership.
In November 2000, CTV Inc. was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch Animal Planet, a service described as being "broadly based on family entertainment that will combine high-quality Canadian programming and attractive series and documentaries from Animal Planet in the United States."
The channel was launched under its current ownership structure (with the exception of Bell Media, wherein Bell Globemedia, later renamed CTVglobemedia, owned its shares at the time) on September 7, 2001.
On June 30, 2008, Animal Planet unveiled a new on-air appearance, including a new logo and graphics, to align itself with the American service which had updated its appearance earlier that year.
On September 10, 2010, BCE (a minority shareholder in CTVglobemedia) announced that it planned to acquire 100% interest in CTVglobemedia for a total debt and equity transaction cost of $3.2 billion CAD. The deal which required CRTC approval, was approved on March 7, 2011 and closed on April 1 of that year, on which CTVglobemedia was rebranded Bell Media.
Animal Planet HD
On June 17, 2011, Bell Media announced that it would launch Animal Planet HD, a high definition (HD) simulcast of the standard definition feed, by the end of 2011. The channel launched on December 15, 2011 initially on Bell Fibe TV and Shaw Cable and launched at a later date on Telus TV.
- Decision CRTC 2000-552 CRTC 2000-12-14
- Animal Planet Launch Archived April 26, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Bell Globemedia press release 2001-09-06
- Animal Planet Debuts A New Look and Striking New Programming During National Freeview this July Archived April 25, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. CTVglobemedia press release 2008-06-05
- Bell Canada (2010-09-10). "Bell to acquire 100% of Canada's No.1 media company CTV". CNW Group. Archived from the original on 13 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- CRTC approves BCE's purchase of CTVglobemedia
- Bell completes acquisition of CTV, launches Bell Media business unit CNW 2011-04-01
- Discovery Channel and Bell Media Factual Networks Announce Fall 2011 "Must See" Highlights CNW 2011-06-17
- Animal Planet HD, Investigation Discovery HD and Discovery Science HD Launch Today Bell Media press release 2011-12-15