|Top view of an Apple Martini|
|Primary alcohol by volume|
Apple slice; Cherry
|Standard drinkware||Cocktail glass|
|Commonly used ingredients|
|Preparation||Mix in a shaker, then pour into a chilled glass. Garnish and serve.|
In its purest form, it would contain:
- 40 ml (1 ⅓ oz) top shelf vodka (or gin)
- 30 ml (⅔ oz) apple juice, cider, or most often-apple pucker
Typically, the ingredients are shaken or stirred and then strained into a cocktail glass.
A sweet and sour mix can also be added before shaking.
Optionally, vermouth may be included, as in a regular martini.
In popular culture
- The appletini is the favorite alcoholic drink of John "J.D." Dorian in the sitcom Scrubs in which it is often characterized as being somewhat effeminate.
- Along with a rum and diet coke, it is also the favorite drink of Alan Harper from Two and a Half Men.
- In the 2010 film The Social Network, in the initial meeting between Facebook co-founders Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin and Napster co-founder Sean Parker, Parker buys the table a few rounds of the drink. In real life, Zuckerberg never had an appletini until he attended the film's premiere. After seeing the film, Zuckerberg made the appletini Facebook's official drink.
- Marin, Rick (October 4, 2000). "The Greening Of the Martini". The New York Times. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- Harris, Jenn (August 15, 2013). "Lola's, famous for the apple martini, to close in September". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- "Martini Bianco and Apple Juice". Cocktails of the World. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- Henig, Samantha (2010-10-01). "New Yorker Festival: Facts, Fiction, Facebook, and Appletinis". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2011-03-20.