Incredible Hulk (cocktail)
|Primary alcohol by volume|
|Served||On the rocks; poured over ice|
|Standard drinkware||Cocktail glass|
|Commonly used ingredients|
|Preparation||Stir together and serve over ice.|
An Incredible Hulk, Green Eyed Monster, Shrock, or Hip and Hen is a green-colored cocktail made by equal parts (2 fl oz each) of the fruit liqueur Hpnotiq and Hennessy brand cognac poured over ice. It is named for the famously green comic book superhero, the Hulk.
The drink was created originally by U.S Army soldiers at Ft. HOOD Texas in 2004. It was made renowned at a Hpnotiq launch event by a restaurant bartender at Sean Combs' New York City restaurant, Justin's. A Hpnotiq employee (Hpnotiq spokesperson Antonio Harer) noticed many women but few men drinking his company's liquor, because the men considered the blue, fruity drink to be too effeminate. Victor Alvarez, a bartender at the restaurant, mixed Hennessy with Hpnotiq to dilute the fruity flavor, resulting in a green beverage that quickly became a hit.
One version of the cocktail gained notoriety in Manchester, UK, after being used in what was described as an "alcoholic death race". The object of which was to drink relentlessly until medical attention was required. This version of the cocktail, known simply as "Hulk", is made of a bottle of WKD Blue, Red Bull and 2 Vodka shots and is served in a pint glass.
The Incredible Hulk cocktail has been referenced in songs such as "Incredible Hulk" by the Memphis rap group Stress Free Fam and has appeared in music videos. It was also mentioned in The Boondocks episode "The Story of Thugnificent". Epic Meal Time, a YouTube cooking show, featured cocktail at the start of the episode "Masta Pasta" with Muscles Glasses being punched repeatedly in the chest. As Dave's punching stops to complain that his hand hurts, someone off-camera says, "That's what Incredible Hulk does to you." It can also be seen in the post-credits scene of The Incredible Hulk where General Ross is drinking a glass of the cocktail at a bar.
- Hpnotiq.com official recipe → Drink Recipes → Exotiq Cocktails → Incredible Hulk (No direct link is available due to the Adobe Flash interface.) Retrieved 2007-01-15.
- McCoy, Tabari (2004-04-15). "Drink Like a Rapper Archived 2006-07-21 at the Wayback Machine". Intake Weekly. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
- Gibson, Ashley M. (2004-05-07). "Table Talk". Charlotte Business Journal. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
- Govinda, Pamela (2002). "The Millennials At the Bar". Adams Beverage Group. Retrieved 2006-12-20.
- "Epic Meal Time - Masta Pasta"