Seal of Arellano University
|Motto||For God and Country|
|Established||27 February 1938|
|Chairman||Francisco Paulino V. Cayco|
|Location||Legarda Street, Sampaloc, Manila, Philippines (Main Campus)
Blue and Red
|Affiliations||Connect Asia Pacific
International Nursing Program
National Collegiate Athletic Association
Philippine Association of Law Schools
Arellano University (AU) is a private, coeducational and nonsectarian university located in Manila, Philippines. It was founded in 1938 as a law school by Florentino Cayco, Sr., the first Filipino Undersecretary of Public Instruction. The university was named after Cayetano Arellano, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines. It operates on 6 campuses located throughout Metro Manila. The Arellano University School of Law is autonomous and is managed by the Arellano Law Foundation. Its athletic team, the Arellano University Chiefs, is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association since 2009.
Arellano University began on 1938 when it was established as a law school by Florentino Cayco, Sr., the first Filipino Undersecretary of Public Instruction and an educator. The newly founded institution offers the regular four-year law course and was named as Arellano Law College. It was one of the well-known institution by that time by catering to numerous prolific people in the field of law and public service.
In the onset of World War II, the school was closed from 1941 to 1945. It was reopened on April 1945 and was renamed as the Arellano Colleges and has expanded its course offerings to the field of commerce, foreign service, and arts and sciences. On 1946, Florentino Cayco, Sr. became the school's first President and through his efforts, the institution was granted university status on 22 February 1947 by the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports and was accordingly renamed as Arellano University. AU continued its robust expansion with the offering of new courses and that translates into the addition of new colleges.
In 1948, from its present site in Legarda at Sampaloc, AU moved to a new site in Plaza Guipit. It was relocated back to its old site in Legarda when a new modern four-storey concrete building was erected in 1955. In 1954, AU opened an institute of nursing and a law school. The Arellano University School of Law would later be managed by the Arellano Law Foundation under a Memorandum of Agreement in 1978. Arellano Law Foundation is a non-stock and non-profit organization established by the alumni, faculty members, and employees of AU whose objective was to establish and operate a law school. The School of Law was successfully turned over to Arellano Law Foundation on 22 April 1979 but remained as one of the constituent colleges of the university.
Campuses and locations
Arellano operates on 6 campuses located throughout Metro Manila.
|Juan Sumulong Campus
|Apolinario Mabini Campus
School of Law
|Andres Bonifacio Campus||Pasig||1946|
|Jose Abad Santos Campus||Pasay||1945|
|Elisa Esguerra Campus||Malabon||1950|
Administration and organization
Arellano is governed by its CEO, the Board of Trustees, and the Corporate Officers. The CEO manages the overall operational performance of AU. All campuses of Arellano are under the CEO's direct control and supervision.
Academics and research
|School of Law||1938|
|College of Arts and Sciences||1945|
|College of Education||1945|
|College of Business and Technology||1945|
|Allied Medical Services||1954|
|Florentino Cayco Memorial
School of Graduate Studies
Arellano University is formed by five academic clusters that caters to undergraduates and postgraduates. Two clusters, the Allied Medical Services and the College of Business and Technology is formed by one or more colleges, schools, or an institute. Arellano also has its own elementary and high schools. All of AU's academic programs are offered across its six campuses.
Florentino Cayco Memorial School of Graduate Studies on Education is the graduate school of AU. It was named after the founder of the university and offers Education-related advanced academic degrees.
- Doctor of Education (Ed. D.)
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed)
- Master of Arts in Nursing
- Master in Business Administration
The Arellano University School of Law (AUSL), established in 1938, is the law school of AU and was managed by the Arellano Law Foundation, a non-stock and non-profit corporation established by alumni of the university. It is one of the oldest law schools in the Philippines and rose to prominence for producing successful graduates that molds the political history of the country.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B)
The College of Arts and Sciences is the liberal arts school of AU.
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science Major in Paralegal Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Performing Arts (Dance)
The College of Education is the normal school of the university. AU's two elementary schools (Manila and Pasig campuses) and three secondary schools (Manila, Pasig, Pasay and Malabon campuses) serves as the college's laboratory school. Education students of AU are exposed to international education through its partnership with Hailida International Kindergarten School in Shenzhen, China.
- Bachelor of Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
Its Allied Medical Services is composed of five colleges and one diploma program: the College of Physical Therapy, College of Nursing, College of Radiologic Technology, College of Medical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology, College of Pharmacy, and the diploma program in Midwifery.
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Science in Midwifery
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The College of Business and Technology is a cluster college formed by the Institute of Accountancy, School of Computer Science, School of Business and Administration, and the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce, Major in General Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management
The Research and Publications Department (RPD) is the official research department of the university. Arellano is one of the member higher educational institutions (HEI) of the joint DLSU-CHED Zonal Research Center.
The Arellano University Chiefs is the official athletic team of the university and is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) since joining in 2010 as a probationary member. The Chiefs attained regular member status on NCAA Season 89, on 2 April 2013. The Chiefs also plays in the NCRAA, NAASCU, Shakey's V-League and the Fr. Martin's Cup. The Chiefs is a member of the Development League of the Philippine Basketball Association.
Insignia and other representations
Motto and song
"For God and Country" is the official motto of AU. The university song was called "Arellano Hymn" and is sung in Tagalog.
|Arellano University Official Seal|
|Use||Official documents, publications and markers.|
The university's seal is the official scheme used by the university in official documents and official publications.
AU's seal was prepared by artist Vicente Manansala and was heavily inspired by a World War II photograph of American marines raising the Flag of the United States on the summit of Mount Surabachi. Similarly, the seal depicts three male youths that raises the Flag of the Philippines. Each of the men symbolizes Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The university seal also contains AU's official motto: "For God and Country".
Persons affiliated to the university, either as students, faculty members, or administrators, are known as "Arellianites" and/or "Arellanistas". Throughout the university's history, faculty, alumni, and students have played prominent roles in many different fields. Prominent alumni of Arellano in the film and media industry include Bayani Agbayani, Joey de Leon and Ted Failon. Public servants who have attended Arellano include lawyer Higino A. Acala, Sr., former Senator Rodolfo Biazon, former 4th District of Manila Congresswoman Trisha Bonoan-David, and Francisco Domagoso, former actor and vice mayor of Manila.
- Zinnia B. Dela Peña (21 February 2015). "Ayala enters academe via Arellano University". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "History". Arellano University. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "The Chief Justice". Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "About AUSL". Arellano Law Foundation. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Doris C. Dumlao (20 February 2015). "Ayala, Arellano University team up on junior college program". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "About the CEO". Arellano University. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "College of Education". Arellano University. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Member HEIs". DLSU-CHED-ZRC. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- Izah Morales (20 January 2010). "Aguinaldo College, Arellano join NCAA on probation". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on 23 January 2010. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- "NCAA". Arellano University. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "AU Chiefs". Arellano University. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Lo, Ricky (29 April 2012). "Isko Moreno: Cinderella Man". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arellano University.|
- Arellano University - Official website
- Arellano University - School of Law - Official website
- Arellano University - International Nursing Program - Official website
- Arellano University College of Nursing Alumni Association of America - Official website