BMW 8 Series
|BMW 8 Series|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Executive grand tourer (S)|
|Body style||2-door coupé|
The 8 Series was introduced in 1990 under the E31 model code and was only available as a two-door coupé. It is powered by a range of naturally aspirated V8 and V12 petrol engines. The E31 started production just as E24 6 Series production ended, however it is not considered a direct successor. It was later discontinued in 1999 due to poor sales.
The model range was later reintroduced in 2018 with the second generation, G15 8 Series. It is expected to launch in coupé (G15), convertible (G14), and four-door Gran Coupé (G16) body styles, as the successor to the F06/F12/F13 6 Series lineup. The G15 8 Series introduces an inline-six diesel engine, and a high-performance M8 model is also expected to be launched in the future.
First generation (E31; 1990–1999)
Design of the first generation E31 8 Series began in 1984, with final design phase and production development starting in 1986. The vehicle debuted at the 1989 Frankfurt Motor Show, and was produced until 1999. The 8 Series was designed to move beyond the market of the original E24 6 Series, featuring greater performance and an increased price. The 8 Series was the first road car to offer a V12 engine mated to a 6-speed manual transmission and was one of the first vehicles to be fitted with electronic drive-by-wire throttle. The 8 Series was also among one of BMW's first cars to use a multi-link rear axle.
Second generation (G14/G15/G16; 2018–present)
The G14 BMW 8 Series was announced on June 15, 2018 with sales commencing from November 2018. It is currently only available as a coupé (codenamed G15), with convertible (G14) and four-door Gran Coupé (G16) variants expected to be released soon. Production will commence in late 2018 at the BMW assembly plant in Dingolfing, Germany.
- "Timeline of BMW midsize coupes".
- "TEST DRIVE: The Iconic E31 BMW 8 Series". BMW BLOG. 2018-07-26. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "1989 - 1999 BMW 8-series @ Top Speed". Top Speed. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- George, Patrick. "The 8-Series Was One Of BMW's Best Failed Experiments". Jalopnik. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "8 Series: The Most Underrated BMW Ever". Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- Trop, Jaclyn. "BMW 8 Series Coupe Returns After A 19-Year Hiatus". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "BMW M8 Gran Coupe Reviews | BMW M8 Gran Coupe Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver". Car and Driver. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "New BMW 8-series Gran Coupe spied testing". CAR Magazine. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "The new BMW M8 will come in three shapes". Top Gear. 2018-04-25. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "Ten reasons why BMW's old 8 Series is cool". Top Gear. 2018-01-25. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "Remembering The 1990 - 1999 BMW 8 Series: Almost Paradise". Motor1.com. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "How To OEM+ Restore A BMW 850Ci - Speedhunters". Speedhunters. 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "This is the brand new BMW 8 Series Coupe". Top Gear. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "BMW 8 Series Convertible, Gran Coupe Officially Confirmed For 2019". Motor1.com. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- Panait, Mircea (2018-07-06). "2019 BMW 8 Series Coupe Enters Production at Dingolfing Plant". autoevolution. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BMW 8 Series.|
|Z Series||Z1||Z3||Z4 (E85)||Z4 (E89>>|
« previous — BMW cars: 2000s to 2010s