|Operating system||Linux, OS X, Windows, and Android|
|Available in||44 languages|
|License||GNU Affero General Public License|
|Alexa rank||1,083,924 (May 2019[update])|
|Part of a series on|
|Video sharing sites|
|File sharing networks|
|Anonymous file sharing|
|Development and societal aspects|
|By country or region|
Butter Project or simply Butter is a suite of open-source desktop and mobile applications that allow video-streaming over the BitTorrent protocol. The project was first made public on 23 October 2015. The aim is to create a completely legal base which other applications can use to provide streaming functionality.
Butter Project was created as a split from Popcorn Time when the latter met legal difficulties — with Butter Project aiming to retain development of only expressly legal and permissible portions of the code-base, relating to video-streaming. The developers have asserted Butter Project will not use any of the popcorntime.io infrastructure. Butter Project is not aimed at allowing copyright infringement, but aims to build the groundworks for streaming video over BitTorrent. By having a legal portion which remains on GitHub the creators hope they can get more developers involved.
- "butter-desktop/LICENSE at devel · butterproject/butter-desktop". GitHub. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "Butterproject.org Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". Alexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "Popcorn Time Shutdown Was The Result Of Outsiders, Site Suffered DNS Attacks And Tempering; Developers Launch Project Butter". Yibada. 25 October 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Video Streaming Service Popcorn Time Has Shut Down In Lieu Of Project Butter". The Inquisitr News. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- Mic. "Butter Project Streaming Service and the Latest On Popcorn Time Shutdown". Mic. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- Williams, Owen. "Popcorn Time creators back away from copyrighted content with 'Project Butter'". The Next Web. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Makers of Popcorn Time launch Butter Project - gHacks Tech News". gHacks Technology News. Retrieved 13 March 2016.