General Headquarters (Pakistan Army)
|Rawalpindi in Pakistan|
|In use||August 14, 1947|
|General Qamar Javed Bajwa|
The General Headquarters (GHQ) is the headquarters of the Pakistan Army and is located in Rawalpindi, adjacent to the Joint Staff Headquarters. It was established on 14 August 1947 in the headquarters of the former Northern Command of the British Indian Army. In December 2017 it was announced that the Army would be moving to a new GHQ in neighbouring Islamabad.
General Headquarters is the command center of land forces of Pakistan. In GHQ, there are 10 branches commanded by Lt Gen ranked officer, and 40 directorates commanded by a Maj Gen ranked officer.
Following is the list of branches and directorate in GHQ.
1. General Staff, (GS) branch:
(i) Military Operations, MO Directorate
(ii) Military Intelligence, MI Directorate
(iii) Organisation and Methods, O&M Directorate
(iv) Inspection and Technical Development, I&TD Directorate
(v) Weapons and Equipment, W&E Directorate
2. Logistic Staff, (LS) branch:
(i) Logistics Directorate
(ii) National Logistic Cell, NLC
(iii) Supply and Transport, S&T Directorate
(iv) Budget Directorate
(v) Ordinance Services, OS Directorate
3. Arms branch:
(i) Director General, DG Infantry
(ii) Director General, DG Armoured Corps
(iii) Director General, DG Artillery
(iv) Director General, DG Army Air Defence
(v) Director General, DG Engineers
(vi) Director General, DG Army Aviation
(vii) Director General, DG Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
4. Adjudent General, (AG) branch:
(i) Personal Administration, PA Directorate
(ii) Welfare and Rehabilitation, W&R Directorate
(iii) Pay, Pension and Accounts, PP&A Directorate
(iv) Housing Directorate
(v) Personal Service, PS Directorate
(vi) Provost Marshall, PM Directorate
(vii) National Guards
5. Military Secretary, (MS) branch:
6. Training and Evaluation, (T&E) branch:
(i) Military Training, MT Directorate
(ii) Human Resource Development, HRD Directorate
(iii) Doctrine and Evaluation, D&E Directorate
(iv) Federal Government Education Institutions, FGEI Directorate
(v) Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul, Abbottabad
(vi) Command and Staff College, C&SC, Quetta
7. Quarter Master General, (QMG) branch:
(i) Quartering and Lands, Q&L Directorate
(ii) Military Lands and Cantonment, Ml&c Directorate
8. Engineers in Chief, (E-in-C) branch:
(i) Frontier Works Organization, FWO
(ii) 45 Engineers Division, Rawalpindi.
9. Communication and Information Technology, (C&IT) branch:
(i) Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence, (C4I) Directorate
(ii) Signals Officer in Chief, So-in-C
10. Surgeon General, (SG) branch:
(i) Medical Directorate
(ii) Medical Services Azad Kashmir, MS AK
(iii) Medical Services Navy, MS N
- Joint Staff Headquarters (Pakistan)
- Air Headquarters (Pakistan Air Force)
- Naval Headquarters (Pakistan Navy)
- Pakistan Armed Forces
- L. P. Sen (1 January 1994). Slender Was the Thread. South Asia Books. p. 26. ISBN 978-0861316922. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Shreenivas Kumar Sinha (1992). A soldier recalls. Spantech & Lancer. p. 86. ISBN 978-8170621614. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Eqbal Ahmad; Noam Chomsky; Carollee Bengelsdorf; Margaret Cerullo (13 June 2006). The Selected Writings of Eqbal Ahmad (1st ed.). Columbia University Press. p. 592. ISBN 978-0231127110. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Kashif Abbasi (2017-12-27). "Army to be allotted over 1,000 acres for new GHQ, other offices". Dawn Media Group. Retrieved 2019-07-24.