Geopolitical zones of Nigeria
The six geopolitical zones of Nigeria is a major division in modern Nigeria, created during the regime of president General Sani Abacha. Nigerian economic, political and educational resources are often shared across the zones.:98
Reason for the Zones
The six zones was not entirely carved out based on geopolitical location, but rather states with similar cultures, ethnic groups, and common history were classified in the same zone.:98 Nigeria is made up of approximately 400 ethnic groups and 450 languages. There was a need for the government to merge similar groups for effective allocation of resources.
Agitations for Constitutional Recognition
Many groups and individuals in Nigeria including the Afenifere Renewal Movement through its National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, Ohaneze Ndigbo, its late Secretary General, Chief Ralph Uwechue and Ijaw National Congress through its National President, Mr. Joshua Benameisigha have canvassed that the current six zonal divisions be recognized in Nigeria's constitution and be strengthened to function as federating units in the new structure for Nigeria.
According to Chief Nengi James, a Niger Delta activist, "for all sections of the country to become one entity, the geopolitical zones must be recognized in the constitution." These groups are pushing for devolution of powers so that the geopolitical zones become autonomous and manage the resources within their territories in a Federal Nigeria.
- North Central (loosely known as Middle Belt):
- North East:
- North West:
- South East:
- South South:
- South West:
Map of Nigerian Geopolitical Zones
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2018)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-12-27. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- siteadmin (17 July 2014). "Is The Niger Delta Region The 'Epicentre Of Electoral Fraud' In Nigeria?-AFRICA CHECK - Sahara Reporters".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-11. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- "Nigeria MDG Acceleration Framework: A commitment to Improved Maternal Health" (PDF). Federal Republic of Nigeria and UNDP. www.undp.org. August 2013.
- Eze, Titus Chinweuba.,1* Okpala, Cyril Sunday,2 Ogbodo, Joseph Charles; et al. (2014). "Patterns of Inequality in Human Development Across Nigeria's Six Geopolitical Zones". Department of Economics, Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Emene, Enugu State. Nigeria; Department of Economics, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria; Department of Economics, Enugu State University of science & Technology, Enugu, Nigeria. iiste.org. 4 (8). ISSN 2225-0565.
- "Constitution: Six geopolitical zones divide North, South". punchng.com. Archived from the original on 2014-12-27.