Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
(Ukrainian: Національний технічний університет України «Київський політехнічний інститут імені Ігоря Сікорського»)
|Campus||395 acres (1.60 km2)|
- 1898–1918 Kyiv Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Alexander II
- 1918–1934 Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1934–1948 Kyiv Industrial Institute
- 1948–1968 Order of Lenin Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1968–1992 Order of Lenin Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in memory of the 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution
- 1992–1995 Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- 1995–2016 National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
- 2016— National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
The institute was founded on 31 August 1898 as the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Alexander II, but its current building complex was not built until 1902. Until then, the institute was renting out its space at the building of Commercial School located on Vorovsky Street. At that time it had four departments: Mechanical, Chemical, Agricultural, and Civil Engineering. The first enrolment constituted 360 students. The leading Russian scientists Dmitri Mendeleev, Nikolai Zhukovsky and Kliment Arkadyevich Timiryazev gave substantial scientific and organizational assistance in the founding of the institute.
Viktor Kyrpychov was the first rector of the KPI. It was largely due to Kyrpychov's efforts that such professors like V.P. Yermakov, S.M. Reformatsky, M.I. Konovalov or Vladimir Zworykin became members of the first faculty.
Since its establishing the institute was involved in the 1899 All-Russian student strike, which resulted in arrest and exile of 32 students. In the beginning of 1899 in the institute was established underground organizational committee and had a close relation with the Kyiv council of united communities and organizations.
In 1930, the Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture (KNUCA) was established on the basis of factory and communal construction branch of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (KPI) and the Architectural faculty of the Kyiv Art Institute.
The deoccupation of Kyiv in November 1943 made it possible to restore the work of the institute: the registration of teachers, employees, students who returned to the institute began. Already in the second half of January 1944, an administrative commission for a set of students on the first course and renewal of senior students has begun. All efforts of the Institute's team were aimed at the restoration of the teaching base, because as a result of the Nazi occupation and brutal battles for Kyiv, more than half of the total area of educational premises was destroyed, hostels burned, looted property. Thanks to the inclusion of the Institute to the list of the most important industrial and transport universities of the country, students of all courses were exempted from the prize to the Soviet Army, they were provided with an increased scholarship (first of all, it concerned students who captured specialties from foundry, forging, press and chemical production). Since the timing of rebuilding works were violated, in the summer of 1945, students and teachers voluntarily during the month of holiday vacation performed urgent construction work.
Of great importance for improving the quality of training specialists had research and involvement of students, especially senior courses. The main form of their participation in research work in the postwar years were scientific circles, on the basis of which in April 1946, a student scientific and technical society was formed in the institute. At the time of creation, it had nine sections that combine 30 circles in specialties and about 500 students. Managed sections of leading scientists of the Institute.
In the history of the existence of universities, 23 rectors were headed.
In the long period of existence, the name of the institute has changed several times:
- 1898-1918 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Oleksandr II;
- 1918-1934 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1934-1948 - Kyiv Industrial Institute;
- 1948-1968 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute;
- 1968-1992 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute. 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution;
- 1992-1995 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1995-2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". (Decree of the President of Ukraine in No. 289/95 of April 8, 1995 "On the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute");
- 2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute named after Igor Sikorsky" (Order of the Ministry of Education Ministry of Internal Affairs 17.08.2016 No. 992 "On the Assignment of the National Technical University of Ukraine" Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"). The name "KPI them. Igor Sikorsky".
Actively developing, the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute became the basis for expanding and strengthening the network of Vishivs Kyiv, Ukraine. In 1923-1933, and in recent years, several institutions, universities, academies were created on the basis of departments and individual specialties of the KPI. On the other hand, the famous educational institutions of Ukraine entered the current composition of the university. Thus in the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Informatization of NTUU "KPI" by the official date of the creation is considered March 1, 1919 - the Day of Approval of the Rev-wake of the Republic of the Republic of Projects of Engineering Courses for the preparation of the team of the Worker-Peasant Red Army, which in 1937 became the basis for the Kyiv military school of ZV The tap them. M. I. Kalinina. Publishing-Polygraphic Institute [Since September 6, 2004], which included in the KPI in 1989, was founded on January 1, 1954 in Kyiv on the basis of the artistic-craft school of printers No 18, as an educational and consultative point (UCP) of the Moscow printing institute.
- Educational, Science, and Scientific Complex "Institute of Applied Systems Analysis" (ESC IASA)
- Educational and Research Institute of Telecommunication Systems (ITS)
- Institute of Energy Saving and Energy Management (IEE)
- Institute of Aerospace Technologies (IAT)
- Institute of Special Communication and Information Security (ISIS)
- Mechanics and Machine-Building Institute (MMI)
- Institute of Materials Science and Welding (IMZ)
- Publishing and Printing Institute (VPI)
- Physics and Engineering Institute (PTI)
- Inter-branch Institute of Post-graduate Education
- Institute of Pre-admission education and Vocational Guidance
- Applied Mathematics (FPM)
- Biomedical Engineering (FBE)
- Biotechnology and Biotechnics (FBT)
- Chemical Engineering (IHF)
- Chemical Technology (XTF)
- Electric Power Engineering and Automatics (FEA)
- Electronics (FEL)
- Heat and Power Engineering (TEF)
- Informatics and Computer Science (FIOT)
- Instrumentation Engineering (PBF)
- Linguistics (FL)
- Management and Marketing (FMM)
- Physics and Mathematics (FMF)
- Radio Engineering (RTF)
- Sociology and Law (FSP)
The university has two campuses the central one being located in Kyiv, and the other in town of Slavutych.
The Kyiv campus of the university is located near the city centre in a park named after the university.
Here almost 9,000 of non-Kyivite students are accommodated in 21 dormitories, 3 of them for married students. The life conditions at the university domes is a matter of numerous complaints of their inhabitants usually living in an 18 square meters rooms by 4 people in the room.
The institute has an outpatient medical department for employers and students.
The Institute also considers organized leisure a very important factor in bringing up young specialists.
The Knowledge Square is the centre of the entire KPI complex, measuring approx. 105 x 100 meters. The Knowledge square is connected to one of the main city thoroughfare, prospect "Peremohy". Meetings, festivals, and graduation ceremonies take place at the square.
The University also has an assembly hall with 1,750 seats. It was opened in August 1984.
Various sport facilities also exist at the institute. There are training grounds, soccer fields, volleyball and basketball courts at student disposal. There are many nationally rated athletes among the students of this institute.
Some Institutes were organized on the KPI basis. Among them are: the Civil Engineering Institute. Technological Institute of Light and Food Industry, the Institute of civil Aviation, Automobile and Road Building Institute, Agricultural (now Agricultural Academy) and others. In 1934 - 1944 the KPI was called an Industrial Institute.
Other Labs & Organisations
- Scientific Society of Students and Post-graduates
- Scientific-industrial laboratory DIDAKTIK
- UNESCO Chair in Higher Technical Education, Applied System Analysis and Informatics
- State Polytechnic Museum
- University Interclub
- University Library
The Summer School Achievements and Applications of Contemporary Informatics, Mathematics and Physics (Summer School AACIMP) is an annual international scientific-educational project of volunteers from the university's Student Science Association. It is aimed at an international audience of advanced students, postgraduates and young scientists. There are usually about 100 participants.
It has been traditionally held each August since 2006. As a rule, the duration of the project is two weeks.
Science and education community
At present the number of students at the KPI more than 36,000. Approximately 400 of them are international students. In this way students, especially those who live in a hostel, have a social life with their foreign fellow students and a chance to learn more about other cultures, people and ideas. Over 4,500 students graduate from the KPI every year. The diploma is accepted by the European Union. The KPI has a preparatory department for foreigners. There is a possibility to study English and at the same time learn Ukrainian.
Full-time students attend the school for 5 years and 6 months; part-time - 5 years and 10 months.
The school offers 68 majors and 70 minors at its 3 branches. There are 16 departments and a college, including the following:
- Department of Informatics and Computer Engineering that offer courses on Electron Instrument Engineering, Cybernetics, and Control engineering and Computer engineering, among others.
- Electric Power Engineering Automation dept that offers courses Electrical Networks and Electric Systems, Central Power Plants, High Voltage Technique, and Cybernetics of Electrical Systems.
- Electro-Acoustic Faculty offering courses in Hydroacoustics Sound Recording, Measuring Techniques, and Microprocessors.
- Faculty of Radioengineering
- Physical engineering Department offering courses on Metallurgy, Metals and Alloys, Powder Metallurgy, and others.
Faculty staff and Academician community
There are 70% of the KPI teachers who have scientific degrees. Among them there are Academicians and Corresponding Members of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Professors, and Merited Scientists. The language of instruction is predominantly Ukrainian, with options of Russian and English also available.
Number of the university's rectors served as ministers of education including the current rector Mykhailo Zghurovskyi.
A large number of prominent people worked and studied at the KPI: E.O.Paton, the inventor of electric welding; M. I. Konovalov, a well-known chemist; I. P. Bardin, Ukraine's greatest metallurgist; A. M. Lyulka, USSR's premier designer of jet engines; rocket scientist Sergey Korolyov; creator of Sikorsky Helicopters, the well-known inventor Igor Sikorsky, well-known scientist in the field of fuel combustion and protection of the atmosphere from industrial pollution Isaak Sigal; Boris Yakovlevich Bukreev, a prominent mathematician known for his works in complex functions, differential equations, and non-Euclidean geometry. President of the First Exam Board in chemistry faculty was Dmitri Mendeleev.
Also must be mentioned: Stephen Timoshenko, reputed to be the father of modern engineering mechanics; Vladimir Chelomei, Soviet mechanics scientist and rocket engineer; Aleksandr Mikulin, Soviet aircraft engine designer and chief designer in the Mikulin OKB, Oleg Tozoni, the head of the Department of Electrodynamics at the Cybernetics Institute of the Academy of Science.
Other institutes created based on KPI
- Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture
- Kyiv National University of Technologies and Design
- Paton Institute of Electric Welding (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
Recreation at KPI
The university has a well developed infrastructure of recreation and leisure, including sports, entertainment, arts, and others.
The university has a sports complex with an indoor swimming pool, a multi-hall building, and a soccer field.
The Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has been an important center of sports life in the city. Its football team "Politechniki" was one of the first football teams existed in the Russian Empire in 1906-1917.
The university has own arts center located in Center of Culture and Arts, better known by its Soviet standard name "Palace of Culture". The concert hall of KPI Center Culture and Arts is the main venue of the Ukrainian national qualification for continental song contest Eurovision.
There is park on the territory of the university.
The Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has foreign economic relations with 45 foreign partners from 12 countries of the world. 29 agreements and 17 contracts have been concluded and 77 protocols have been signed: KPI received the certificate as a participant of foreign economic relations.
The most active international scientific and technological cooperation is carried out by the chairs of the institute with the partners from Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, Denmark and Lebanon. Lately the relations with China, United States, Italy, Vietnam and Spain have become more active. The institute carries out the exchange of students according to the agreement on cooperation with the University of Oregon (United States).
KPI was the first university of Ukraine that joined the community of the European Universities, and signed the visionary "Magna Charta of the European Universities" (“Magna Charta Universitatum”) in September 2003.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Technical University of Ukraine.|
- Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- University of Klagenfurt (Austria)
- University of Miskolc (Hungary)
- University of Antwerp (Belgium)
- Iowa State University (USA)
- University of Manchester (Great Britain)
- Anhui University of Technology (China)
- University of Oregon (USA)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- 1898 — 1902 Viktor Kirpichov
- 1902 — 1904 Mikhail Konovalov
- 1904 — 1905 Konstantin Zvorykin
- 1905 — 1906 Mykola Chyrvynskyi
- 1906 — 1908 Volodymyr Tymofeyev
- 1908 — 1911 Konstantin Dementiev
- 1911 — 1917 Ivan Zhukov
- 1917 — 1919 Petro Yerchenko
- 1919 — 1920 George De Metz
- 1920 — 1921 Serhiy Veselovskyi
- 1921 — 1921 Ivan Kukharenko
- 1921 — 1929 Viktorin Bobrov
- 1929 — 1930 Dmitriy Melnikov
- 1930 — 1934 unknown
- 1934 — 1936 Mykola Yefimov
- 1936 — 1937 Pavlo Zhykharev
- 1937 — 1941 Mykola Shpylko
- 1941 — 1942 Mykola Velychkivskyi
- 1942 — 1944 unknown
- 1944 — 1952 Oleksandr Plyhunov
- 1952 — 1955 Vitaliy Gridnyev
- 1955 — 1955 Ivan Shvets
- 1955 — 1971 Oleksandr Plyhunov
- 1971 — 1987 Hryhoriy Denysenko
- 1987 — 1992 Petro Talanchuk
- 1992 — present Mykhailo Zghurovskyi
|Global – Overall|
|QS World||701-750 (2021)|
National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute” positions in national and international ratings of the best Ukrainian educational institutions, employers ratings, etc.
- Ukrainian university academic rating «TOP – 200 Ukraine» - 1st place. (http://www.euroosvita.net)
- Ukrainian employers rating «Compass» - 1st place. (http://www.yourcompass.org)
- World universities ranking “Webometrics” – 713rd place (2012), 510th (2013) (http://www.webometrics.info)
- QS World University Ranking – 701+ (http://www.topuniversities.com)
- Radioelectronics and Communications Systems
- System Research and Information Technologies
- KPI Science News (Naukovi visti NTUU KPI)
- Visnyk NTUU KPI: Informatics, operation and computer science
- "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". Retrieved 2020-12-28. Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- Указ Президента України за № 289/95 від 8 квітня 1995 року "Про Київський політехнічний інститут" on zakon.rada.gov.ua
- "Нормативно-правова база - Міністерство освіти і науки України" (PDF). old.mon.gov.ua.
- "Наказ № 4-213, 31.08.16, Про введення в дію нових бланків". document.kpi.ua.
- Інститут спеціального зв'язку та захисту інформації
- Kyiv Polytechnic Institute Faculties
- Faculties of University: Applied Mathematics
- Applied Mathematics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Biotechnology and Biotechnics
- Biotechnology and Biotechnics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Chemical Technology
- Chemical Technology Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Electric Power Engineering and Automatics
- Electric Power Engineering and Automatics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Electronics
- Electronics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Heat and Power Engineering
- <Heat and Power Engineering Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Informatics and Computer Science
- Informatics and Computer Science Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Instrumentation Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Linguistics
- Faculty of Linguistics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Management and Marketing
- Management and Marketing Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Physics and Mathematics
- Physics and Mathematics Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Radio Engineering
- Radio Engineering Faculty website
- Faculties of University: Sociology and Law
- Sociology and Law Faculty website
- Summer School website
- The article about the Summer School AACIMP in IFORS-2010
- "Best university in Ukraine". MIGnews.com.ua.
- (in Ukrainian) Top 10 facts about the new Governor NBU - Valeriia Hontareva, news.24tv.ua (19 June 2014)
- Politechniki Kyiv. Ukrsoccerhistory.
- List of KPI recreational resorts at relax.kpi.ua.
- KPI Palace of Culture (Палац культури КПІ) at Concert.ua
- Official website. KPI Center of Culture and Arts.
- QS ranking 2021
- Radioelectronics and Communications Systems on kpi.ua
- Radioelectronics and Communications Systems website
- Radioelectronics and Communications Systems on Springer
- System research and information technologies on kpi.ua
- System research and information technologies on Educational-scientific complex Institute for applied system analysis
- KPI Science News on kpi.ua
- KPI Science News website
- KPI Science News archive
- KPI Science News on Open Academic Journal Index
- Visnyk NTUU KPI website
- Visnyk NTUU KPI on Google scholar
- Kyiv Polytechnic Institute
- Ukrayna Ulusal Teknik Üniversitesi Kiev Politeknik Enstitüsü
- KPI history
- Blog KPI
- Student Council Campus in Kyiv Polytechnic Institute in Ukrainian
- Campus Map