Independence Day of Ukraine
2013 celebrations in Luhansk
|Significance||The day the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Supreme Soviet in 1991|
|Celebrations||Concerts, military parade|
|Next time||24 August 2017|
Independence Day of Ukraine (Ukrainian: День незалежності України) is the main state holiday in modern Ukraine,[nb 1] celebrated on 24 August in commemoration of the Declaration of Independence of 1991.
When Ukraine was still incorporated into the Soviet Union the Ukrainian diaspora traditionally recognized 22 January (the Declaration of Independence of the Ukrainian People's Republic in 1918) as Ukrainian Independence day.
The current form of the holiday was first celebrated on 16 July 1991, as the first anniversary of the Declaration of State Sovereignty of Ukraine passed by the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's parliament) in 1990. Since the Declaration of Independence was issued on 24 August 1991, and confirmed by the referendum of 1 December 1991, the date of the holiday was changed. (In December 1991 many Ukrainian Canadians expected that 1 December would become Ukraine's official independence day.)
After the annual military parade in Kyiv the "March of the Unconquered" was held by active members of Ukraine's volunteer battalions, relatives of those killed during the fighting in the War in Donbass and family members of those killed during the Euromaidan uprising – known in Ukraine as the "Heavenly Hundred". According to the Ukrainian army the volume of artillery fire set off by the separatist forces of the war in Donbass during the 24-hour period of 24 August 2016 was the highest since the February 2015 Battle of Debaltseve.
- (in Russian) Kharkov Ukraine celebrates Independence Day (photos, program of measures), SQ (24 August 2016)
- Kyiv hosts military parade, Interfax-Ukraine (24 August 2016)
- Poll: Independence Day a holiday for more than 60% of Ukrainians, Interfax-Ukraine (21 August 2013)
- How Ukraine Became a Market Economy and Democracy by Anders Åslund, Peterson Institute for International Economics, 2009, ISBN 978-0-88132-427-3 (page 185)
- A History of Ukraine: The Land and Its Peoples by Paul Robert Magocsi, University of Toronto Press, 2010, ISBN 1442610212 (page 722/723)
- Ukraine celebrates National Flag Day, Xinhua News Agency (23 August 2012)
Ceremony of hoisting Ukraine's national flag held at presidential administration, Kyiv Post (23 August 2011)
- Theoretical and Comparative Perspectives on Nationalism by Taras Kuzio, ibidem Press, 2007, ISBN 3898218155 (352)
Language Policy and Discourse on Languages in Ukraine Under President Viktor Yanukovych by Michael Moser, ibidem Press, 2013, ISBN 3838204972 (page 102)
Ukraine military parade marks 25 years of independence, BBC News (24 August 2016)
- "Washington State Marks Independence for the First Time" (PDF). Svoboda. The Ukrainian Daily. LXXX (40). Jersey City: Ukrainian National Association. 3 March 1973. p. 4. ISSN 0274-6964. LCCN 80012518. OCLC 01766932.
- Citizens of Ukraine mark 1 year of state sovereignty, The Ukrainian Weekly (21 July 1991)
- Ukraine Intelligence & Security Activities and Operations Handbook, International Business Publications, 2009, ISBN 0739716611 (page 268)
- Canada second to recognize Ukraine; establishing ties should go smoothly, The Ukrainian Weekly (8 December 1991)
- (in Ukrainian) Разом з військовим парадом у Києві влаштували "Марш нескорених" (The "March of the Unconquered" was Held along with the Military Parade in Kiev), Ukrayinska Pravda (24 August 2016)
- Heaviest fire since Debaltseve battle recorded yesterday, 3 WIA, UNIAN (25 August 2016)
- Russian proxies intensify attacks on ATO forces on Independence Day, UNIAN (25 August 2016)
- (in Ukrainian) Ukrainians at home and abroad celebrated Independence Day, Ukrayinska Pravda (24 August 2015)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Independence Day in Ukraine.|
|Wikinews has News related to this article:|
- President’s address on occasion of Independence Day (by Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych), President.gov.ua (24 August 2012) (via Archive.org)
- "President Poroshenko: We must always be ready to defend independence" (by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko), President.gov.ua (24 August 2014) - 2014 President's speech text in Ukrainian