Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Public transport corporation|
|Industry||Public transport bus service|
|Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Telangana and Puducherry|
Ramalinga reddy (Chairman)
|Revenue||₹16.3585 billion (US$240 million) (2008-09) |
The Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) is a state-owned road transportation company in the state of Karnataka in India. KSRTC has the largest fleet of Volvo buses among state owned transport companies.
KSRTC was set up in 1961 under the provisions of Road Transport Corporation Act, 1950. It is wholly owned by the Government of Karnataka. In August 1997, KSRTC was divided to form Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC). In November 1997, another new road transport corporation called North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC) was formed to cater to the transportation needs of North Western parts of Karnataka. Later, the North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NEKRTC) was also formed with its corporate office in Gulbarga.
KSRTC services covers 92% villages in Karnataka. KSRTC operates with a total fleet of 17310 buses (KSRTC-8280, NEKRTC-4300, NWKRTC-4720). It transports, on an average, 74.57 lakh passengers per day. It also operates to the neighboring states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Goa and Kerala. KSRTC was the first state transport corporation to introduce Volvo B7RLE low floor city buses in India in 2005. At present, KSRTC operates Volvo, Mercedes Benz, Scania buses under the Airavat services (named after the mythical white elephant).
Types of Services
Fully air conditioned nonstop luxury, Volvo multi axle bus service between Bengaluru International Airport and Mysuru & between Kempegowda International Airport and Kundapur with pantry, chemical toilets, live display of flight timings, GPS, wifi facilities and in-bus live entertainment.
- Airavat Bliss
Fully air conditioned luxury Volvo multi axle bus service with chemical toilets, wifi, pantry and individual TV screens.
- Airavat Diamond Class
Fully air conditioned luxury bus service operated using Scania multi-axle buses with hi-definition night vision cameras for recording inside the bus and fleet management system for performance monitoring in the bus.
- Airavat Club Class
Fully air conditioned luxury bus service operated using Volvo and Mercedes Benz multi-axle buses with semi-recliner seats and with calf support.
Fully air conditioned luxury bus service operated using Volvo and Mercedes Benz buses with semi-recliner seats.
Fully air suspension non AC reclinable seat bus, other than Raajahamsa which normally ply over North Eastern Karnataka regions.
- Corona Ambari
Fully air conditioned sleeper bus service.
- Ambari Non A\C Sleeper
Non air conditioned sleeper bus service built on Tata chassis.
Fully air conditioned and air suspension bus with 2+2 reclinable seats. Can consider it to be an alternate option for Airavat.
Fully air conditioned and air suspension vehicle with 3+2 non-reclinable seats built on Ashok Leyland chassis. Mostly operates between Mysuru and Bengaluru, but now it has been replaced with Volvo Airavat.
Air conditioned low floor Volvo B7RLE buses plying in the city of Mysuru.
- Suvarna Sarige, Vayavya Karnataka Saarige and Eeshanya Karnataka Saarige
Widely abundant mode of bus service with 3+2 non reclining seats in KSRTC, NWKRTC and NEKRTC found in red-white or green and red/orange - cream liveries respectively. These are built on Ashok Leyland, Tata and Eicher chassis.
- Graamaantara Sarige
Buses which connects villages with ordinary fare (slightly costs lesser than suvarna sarige).
- Nagara Sarige
Major Awards and Recognitions
- Volvo Sustainable Mobility Award-2011
- 1st National FIEO – Telecom Technology Award -2011 by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Govt. of India
- Award for Excellence-2011 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for Best Practice for inclusive development
- National e-Governance Award-2009 for Exemplary Usage of ICT among PSUs by Ministry Personnel & Administrative Reforms, Govt. of India
- Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award-2009 Best Large Scale Service Industry in the Country
- India Pride Gold Award -2010 Infrastructure and Transportation
- Award for Excellence-2010 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for Best Clean Development Mechanism
- Award for Excellence-2009 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for implementing Automated Electronic Driving Test System
- Award for Excellence-2008 by Ministry Of Urban Development Govt. of India for implementing Electronic Driving Test System
- IITK - Distinguished Alumnus Award -2011 for outstanding managerial skills in application of e-technology for modernization of urban and rural transport system
- m-Billionth South Asia Award-2010
- IBM Great Mind Challenger for Business Award -2010
- Manthan South Asia Award - 2010
- IIMM Corporate Excellence Award – 2010
- Best Employer Award-2010 Award for Innovation in Recruitment
- PRCI- Corporate Collateral Best Public Service Campaign Award-2010
- PRCI- Corporate Collateral Best Corporate Brochure Award- 2010
- Asia’s Best Employer Award-2011
- e-India Award-2010
- ASRTU (Association of State Road Transport Undertaking ) award-2011
- KSRTC Managing Director N. Manjunatha Prasad IAS, bagged “Best Chief Executive Officer of the year 2012 Award” Instituted by the Indian Institute of Materials Management (IIMM).
- KSRTC has won India’s prestigious ‘’India Says Yes Award’’-2014 in the category of ‘’AC BUS JOURNEY WITH KSRTC”.
- KSRTC bagged National Award, ''Award of Excellence'' by Ministry of Urban Development, Govt.of India for the implementation of Intelligent Transport system at Mysore.
- Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC)
- North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NWKRTC)
- North Eastern Karnataka Road Transport Corporation (NEKRTC)
- Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC)
- "Management | Book Bus Ticket Online - KSRTC". ksrtc.in. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- KSTRC financial info
- "GPS to track movement of 2,000 KSRTC buses". Bengaluru. The Hindu. November 28, 2010. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "KSRTC History". timesofindia.com. Retrieved 24 Jul 2016.
- "Ksrtc history". www.ksrtc.in. Retrieved 24 Jul 2016.
- KSRTC milestones
- "Flybus to BIAL". Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "KSRTC launches volvo with pantry". Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "Scania delivers first batch to KSRTC". Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "KSRTC starts service to Nashik". Retrieved 20 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation.|