Kentish Flats Offshore Wind Farm
|Kentish Flats Offshore Wind Farm|
Vestas V90 Wind Turbine Kentish Flats
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Location||North Sea off the coast of Kent, South East England|
|Site area||10 km2 (3.9 sq mi)|
|Max. water depth||3–5 m (10–16 ft)|
|Distance from shore||5.5 mi (8.9 km)|
|Hub height||70 m (230 ft)|
|Rotor diameter||90 m (300 ft)|
|Make and model||Vestas V90-3MW / V112-3.3MW|
|Nameplate capacity||139.5 MW|
The Kentish Flats Offshore Wind Farm is a wind farm located off the coast of Kent, England on a large, flat and shallow plateau just outside the main Thames shipping lanes. The wind farm is operated by Vattenfall.
Construction was completed in August 2005, with commissioning and testing of all turbines completed by September 2005. The wind farm consists of 30 Vestas V90-3MW wind turbines with a total nameplate capacity of 90 MW. Turbines were installed by the Danish offshore wind farms services provider A2SEA. Between 2007 and 2010, the capacity factor was around 30%.
Kentish Flats extension
In February 2013 Vattenfall was granted consent to extend the existing Kentish Flats Offshore Wind Farm. 15 turbines each with a capacity of 3.3 MW were installed adding an extra 49.5 MW to the wind farm. Offshore construction began in October 2014 and was operational by December 2015.
- Wind power in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms
- List of offshore wind farms in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms in the North Sea
- RenewableUK. "RenewableUK - The Voice of Wind & Marine Energy". Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "A2SEA presentation" (PDF). A2SEA. Export Promotion Denmark. 2005-04-12. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Dunford et al. UK Renewable Energy Data, Issue 10 p69 Renewable Energy Foundation, 29 July 2010. Accessed: 30 September 2011.
- The Planning Inspectorate. "National Infrastructure Planning". Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Energy firm Vattenfall to add 15 turbines to Kentish Flats windfarm off the coast of Whitstable and Herne Bay costing £165m". Kent Online. 10 February 2015.
- Tim Yates. "RenewableUK - UK Wind Energy Database (UKWED)". Archived from the original on 26 November 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
Media related to Kentish Flats Offshore Wind Farm at Wikimedia Commons