Kwun Tong District
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Kwun Tong District|
The industrial area of Kwun Tong
Location of Kwun Tong District within Hong Kong
|Special administrative region||Hong Kong|
|• District Officer||Carmen Yu|
|• District Council Chairman||Chan Chung-bun, BBS, JP|
|• Total||11.05 km2 (4.27 sq mi)|
|• Density||56,000/km2 (150,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Hong Kong Time (UTC+8)|
|Website||Kwun Tong District Council|
|Kwun Tong District|
Kwun Tong (Chinese: 觀塘區) is one of the 18 districts of Hong Kong. It is located in Kowloon. It had a population of 639,900 in 2014. The district has the second highest population while the income is below average.
It is the most densely populated district, with 55,000 per km², but it is also one of the largest industrial areas in Hong Kong. Pollution, poverty and ageing population are the concerns. According to a statistical figures of 2001, the proportion of poor and elderly people in this district is 22.6% and 15.5% respectively. Besides, the number of poor people living in this district is 124,803, which is the highest in Hong Kong.
The district consists of the following areas:
- Kwun Tong (觀塘)
- Ngau Tau Kok (牛頭角)
- Kowloon Bay (九龍灣)
- Sau Mau Ping (秀茂坪)
- Lam Tin (藍田)
- Yau Tong (油塘) and Lei Yue Mun (鯉魚門)
- 1 Features
- 2 Transport
- 3 Administration
- 4 Panorama
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Kwun Tong District is one of the industrial areas in Hong Kong. The factories had been built since the 1950s. These industrial areas are mainly located in Kowloon Bay, Kwun Tong (to the southwest of Kwun Tong Road), and Yau Tong. Since the importance of manufacturing in Hong Kong is fading out, many factories have been demolished and commercial buildings are being constructed to replace them.
APM Millennium City 5
Opened in Hong Kong in April 2005, APM Millennium City 5 (Chinese: 創紀之城 5期) is a commercial property developed by Sun Hung Kai Properties. Together with Millennium Cities 1, 2, 3, and 6 (under construction), they are commercial properties situated along Kwun Tong Road. apm Millennium City 5 is next to the Kwun Tong MTR Station. There is also a 7-storey shopping arcade with an array of restaurants, clothing stores, cosmetics shops, and a cineplex. It also contains a bus terminus and parking facilities.
It is the largest mall in the district, and caters for the habits of the community by having extended operating hours. Its name 'apm' implies that visitors are welcome during day and night. In fact, many shops inside the mall are open overnight. Some retail shops close at 12 midnight, and restaurants close at 2am. There are also stores that operate 24 hours.
Around 54% of the population of the Kwun Tong District live in public housing estates, 13% in the Home Ownership Scheme estates, 4% in the Private Sector Participation Scheme estates, and the rest in private housing. With the redevelopment schemes of housing estates being completed successively in recent years, many older estates have been replaced by new ones, and this scenario gives a fresh look to the amenities of the District.
The supply and demand of medical and health services in Kwun Tong are all very stringent, and especially the accident and emergency services are provided by the United Christian Hospital which is the only hospital in the District equipped with casualty facilities. In the event of accidents and disasters, the injured have to be sent there for emergency medical treatment. In addition, various health services are provided by the Department of Health in the District, including an elderly health centre, a woman health centre, a chest clinic, a child assessment centre, a dermatological clinic, a dental out-patient clinic, a school dental clinic, a social hygiene clinic, 2 maternal and child health care centres, 2 methadone clinics and 3 student health service centres/special assessment centres.
There are nine community centres under the District Office, and they are distributed over the 8 sub-districts of the Kwun Tong District. The oldest one is the Kwun Tong Community Centre, which is already 34 years old, while the newest one is the Sai Tso Wan Neighbourhood Community Centre. The construction of the Centre, which was completed in 1993, is the ancillary requirement that Laguna City developer has to fulfil for property development therein.
Major roads that serves the area include:
- (franchised) bus
- KMB : 1A, 2A, 3D, 6D, 9, 11B, 11C, 11D, 11X, 13D, 13M, 13X, 14, 14B, 14X, 15, 15A, 15X, 16, 16M, 17, 23, 23M, 24, 26, 26M, 27, 28, 29M, 38, 40, 42, 42C, 62X, 74A, 74X, 80, 80X, 83X, 89, 89B, 89C, 89D, 89X, 91, 91M, 92, 93A, 93K, 95, 95M, 98A, 98C, 98D, 215X, 216M, 219X, 224X, 258D, 259D, 268C, 269C, 277X, 296A, 296C, 296D, 297, N216
- NWFB : 796S, 796X, N796
- CityBus : A22, E22, E22A, N26, N29
- Harbour-crossing routes : 101/R, 107, 111, 601/P, 603/S/P, 606/A/X, 619/P, 671, 690/P, 692P, 694, N619, N691
- Minibus / Public Light Bus
- Green Minibus
- to-and-fro Kowloon : 16, 16A, 16B, 22M, 23, 23B, 23C, 23M, 24, 34M, 35, 36A, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51M, 54, 54S, 56, 59, 60, 63, 63M, 68, 69, 71A, 71B, 76A, 76B
- to-and-fro New Territories (Tseung Kwan O) : 10M, 12, 13, 17, 18, 102, 102B, 103, 104, 106, 108M, 110, 111
- Red Minibus
- There are about 28 routes, some travel throughout the district, while others goes to-and-fro Mong Kok, Castle Peak Road, Jordan Road, Hung Hom etc.
- Green Minibus
- Ferry : Kwun Tong Pier
- only full-day operated routes are listed above.
Government District Officer
- Mr Au Hing Yuen
Chairman of Kwun Tong District Council
- Mr. Chung-bun Chan
In the same constituency with Wong Tai Sin District as "Kowloon East", effective from October 2004:
- Mr. Kam-lam Chan (DAB)
- Mr. Kwok-kin Wong (HKFTU)
- Mr. Alan Kah Kit Leong (Civic Party)
- Mr. Fred Wah-Ming Li (Democratic Party)
- "2011 Population Census: Summary Results" (in English and Chinese). Census and Statistics Department, Hong Kong Government. 2011. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kwun Tong District.|
||Wong Tai Sin District|
|Kowloon City District||Sai Kung District|